Considering a swap...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Considering a swap...

Post by mnbrennan »

Hi all

I've owned my Z3 since May this year, and ended up stumping for the 2.0l. My thread can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38241

I'm now considering a swap for a 2.8 or 3.0 for a bit more power. Just wondering if anyone has done this before (even if not Z3) and whether this is commonplace in the market?
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Considering a swap...

Post by Southernboy »

More power is always a pleasure..so a swapping up is good...it comes at a price though...higher fuel consumption...If you're going to do it, then opt for a 3 litre...it'll provide oodles of power.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Yeah I would prefer the 3.0. Quite happy with higher fuel consumption as its only a weekend car not a daily driver. Would be willing to accept something of slightly higher mileage, but would like to keep the same colour. I've even considered an engine swap given what I've done to this car (not that much in honesty, but I like it all the same). This would probably cost more than it's worth though
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

There is a bit of difference in value between the 2.8 and 3.0. If your hoping not to inject any more money in I think your car will be valued nearer to a 2.8 rather than a 3.0.
I have a 2.8 and it gives plenty of power and the torque is incredible. I've had all sorts over the years and get more pleasure out of my Zed than anything I've ever owned.
You would not be disappointed!

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

I love my 2.8 it's got more than enough power....too much infact, I recently found myself in court and banned for 3 months....that's what you get for racing a lotus Elise...... oops, was good fun though

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

My introduction into the world of Zeding was with a 2.0 and I was extremely happy with it, but after about six months I often wondered what it would be like to have a little more power !!!

I had the car a year and found myself in a fortunate position where I sold mine and ended up with a 3.0 litre

The difference is chalk and cheese and I love the power and the noise

It returns about the same MPG as the 2.0 as the engine doesn't have to work to hard so the running costs are about the same, insurance is slightly higher tho !!

Us men always want more !!!!
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

this is the issue though,
I can understand why you would want to swap, but why would a 2.8 or 3.0 owner want to swap to a smaller engine, when running costs are not much different?
What's in it for them? Unless you mean 'swap' as in upgrade, rather than swapping with another owner. :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

I moved from a 1.9 pre facelift to a lovely 3.0i :D
the difference is night and day . and yes the running costs are not far apart unless your doing a smiles for miles drive :shock: :D
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

gookah wrote:this is the issue though,
I can understand why you would want to swap, but why would a 2.8 or 3.0 owner want to swap to a smaller engine, when running costs are not much different?
What's in it for them? Unless you mean 'swap' as in upgrade, rather than swapping with another owner. :D
Maybe they want to have better fuel consumption, maybe they want lower insurance premiums or perhaps slightly fewer miles if a daily driver? Just trying to gauge whether anyone has done this before. I may be willing to put in some additional cash for the right car...
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

In the real world is there a major difference?
I can directly compare my wife's auto 1.9 with my ZM . On paper there is a significant performance difference but in the real world not much. In most driving situations, on today’s roads, my wife keeps up with me with little trouble. Yes I can accelerate at a far greater rate but, keeping to the speed limits, she soon appears in my rear view mirror. Actually, in some situations her car is more preferable to drive especially in start stop traffic and on many road surfaces with the more compliant suspension easier on the spine. Believe it or not sometimes we take hers and leave the M in the garage. This plus significantly reduced running costs means that for some more power may not be more preferable. In fact 99% of the time my wife prefers her car and I can honestly say 25% of the time I agree with her. However, since it will not be your main car and one for high days my suggestion would be to try both and see how you feel and which one suites most of your driving situations. Zeds are great fun no matter what your preference.
Last edited by Tilly on Fri 27 Dec, 2013 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Yeah well that's the thing. I've got a Hyundai Coupe as a daily driver which has practically the same power and acceleration, but it's a nicer place to be in rubbish weather. The zed is for summer use only, predominantly when I'm on my own to have a blast on b and a roads, so something which feels a bit more special would be nice. Not to say I don't find my current zed special, but to have something over and above the Coupe would be great for having fun.

So now I've been eyeing up a z3m coupe! I'll have to save a bit in the early part of this year however. Will have a look around the used car places and try a few out (m, non m, coupe, roadster etc.)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

There is actually not a big difference in fuel consumption. I own 2.8 and it never consumed more than 10L/100km, no matter how I drive. And I know that 1.9 consumes at least 8L/100km. 1.9 is too weak for heavy z3 and you have to keep higher revs than in larger engines. I know someone who did a swap from 2.0 to 2.8 but I am not sure if he is happy with it in long term. He had big electrical issues even with smaller engine.
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Regarding fuel consumption, we have the 3.0 roadster and we have been on runs from Derbyshire to the Lakes with various owners of Z3 models from 1.9 to M's. On all the runs we have done we have returned either the same or more MPG than any of the other models. Also regarding the power, this comes up quite a bit on the forums, but the power is only of any benefit if you can use it and also driver dependent, a 1.9 experienced fast driver will be held up by an M inexperienced slow driver. The only driver i have struggled to keep with on a forum run is Deano (Mark) but i dont think there are many that can keep up with him :D. But there again put Taffzee in a 1.9 and he will leave most drivers behind on the Evo. The bigger engines are harder to drive fast due to the torque they put out on acceleration and require a lot more respect or they will put you side ways into a ditch.
The reason most of us keep our z3 is because we have a connection to it, those who only have them short term dont have a connection. When we got ours we did not expect 4 years on to still have it, even when it came to the wife upgrading to the z4 3.0 we kept it, i took it over because i love the car, its not special to most folk but it is to me.
Just my opinion :P
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

billz wrote:a 1.9 experienced fast driver will be held up by an M inexperienced slow driver
I agree, I heard it said on many occasions that it's "skill and suspension" that get the winners around a track. Power/BHP will of course win in a straight line drag race.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Still love my little 8V 1.9 after 5 years, rev it and it goes, all part of the fun. It definitely handles slightly better than 6cyls with sharper turn in. I test drove a 3.0 the other week as contemplating swapping (even though I need a more practical car :head: )but as it was the non sport model it just didn't feel as good handling wise. Horses for courses.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

One can't argue the attachment to the Z3. After some 12 years of ownership, many memorable experiences by the light of a full moon on the Cape coast or in the midday sun of the barren Karoo and even taking 3 hours to cover 80kms on a wet clay soil dirt track, rain bucketing down just to get to an astronomic telescope base... with the ASC battling to keep me in a straight line...or viewing game in the Kruger park - with Eibach lowered suspension et al...getting unusual views of giraffe legs and warthog butt holes...or whipping through the curves along the coast towards Hermanus to view the whales in the bay...it's all part of falling in love with a really great car which just keeps on purring. Whichever Z3 you have, they all endear themselves to those of us who love the mix of old world top down roadsters and modern engineering.
The only other option I would consider is the Porsche Boxter S, which has a similar raw / modern feel as does the Z3.
:roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I have moved down in power, not z to z though, I have lost almost 100bhp in my swap, to be honest im getting older and the fun I have with the roof down far outweighs the loss in oomph. I get better mpg ,too, the next thing for me is poly bushes as mine are shagged. even with knackered bushes everyone else still gets in my way. I too wanted a bit more off the line, to achieve this without swapping I was considering a flywheel change, this might work but I have since pushed this forward into the spring as I wish to beef up the suspension first. even then I may not do this as my clutch is less than a year old (unless a cheap one appears on conbay). im even driving around with the roof down now, (not at this very moment, but the sun is shinning here in Worcestershire so it has to be done).last night I drove home with no top at just 3 deg with the heater on it was ok.
cheapest route to extra ponies is no2 :twisted: go on you know you want too :twisted: I havnt seen a nitroed z yet :lol: