ODB codes

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
knoxvillain

Z3 roadster 2.0

ODB codes

Post by knoxvillain »

hi,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for translating codes I've ready from my Z3 into something useful. My Vectra has ODBII and these are easy to find but I'm finding the ODB I codes harder to track down.

Basically, I get my ABS & Traction Control lights on intermittently which I understand can be a sign of a bad/dirty ABS sensor. So to figure out which one is the bad one, I bought a cable for my laptop and read the codes off it.

I selected the ABS module and it reports error codes:

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: ODB codes

Post by BladeRunner919 »

What are you using to read the codes?
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

knoxvillain wrote: .............
I selected the ABS module and it reports error codes:

Found this in my saved links section:
http://realitypod.com/2012/06/bmw-compl ... -and-more/

Not used it for awhile and then only on engine codes -which were accurate.

Your codes appear under Body ABS 1 (scroll to near bottom) but I'm not sure if that matches your version so may not help.
knoxvillain

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by knoxvillain »

BladeRunner - I bought a cable on ebay for my laptop and it came with software from bmw-scanner.com by the looks of it

Jonco - thanks for that, that does look like the codes I was after :)

49 Wheel Sensor – Rear Left or Outlet Valve – Front Right
113 ABS /ASC Feed Back Pump
118 Electromagnetic or Mechanical Interference -Wheel Speed Signals

So I get from that its the front right sensor hopefully.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

knoxvillain wrote:..........
So I get from that its the front right sensor hopefully.
:?: I don't understand why all 3 are coming in - explanation from a 'techie' would be welcome.

Do you know if they are all recent error codes (are the counts increasing) ? - may be worth clearing them, driving until fault re-appears and then re-checking error memory.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

A single fault (say, broken sensor wire) can generate several faults.

I'd check the wheel sensor wires and clean the sensor with some white spirit.
Pingu
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

[quote="pingu"]A single fault (say, broken sensor wire) can generate several faults..............[quote]

Never straightforward - I had an ignition problem the other week and to stop engine/kill system had to pull plugs and disconnect battery. Once `fixed' I connected INPA expecting to have a number of engine misfire codes to clear as the engine had slowly shuddered to a halt. Only code was a 108 for the battery.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Jonco wrote: Never straightforward - I had an ignition problem the other week and to stop engine/kill system had to pull plugs and disconnect battery. Once `fixed' I connected INPA expecting to have a number of engine misfire codes to clear as the engine had slowly shuddered to a halt. Only code was a 108 for the battery.

But the ECU would have cut out the moment you pulled the battery - it obviously had enough life just to register that the power had been cut. By the time the engine had spluttered to a halt the ecu was fast asleep.
knoxvillain

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by knoxvillain »

hi there,

Thanks for the responses. I cleared the codes after I read them so I could see what was coming up fresh. I had the ABS/ASC lights come on today on the way to work so I'm going to read the codes again tonight. I haven't had the wheels off yet because the locking nut key is fairly worn so I was concerned about not getting the wheels off/on. New locking nuts have arrived now so I'm going to get the wheels off this weekend and have a look. I'll give all 4 sensors a clean and see what happens. i'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,
Ian