Hardtop Wiring Loom

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hardtop Wiring Loom

Post by rambo »

Hi
Just bought a Hardtop for my facelift Z3 and the question is do I need additional cabling to activate the heated rear window?
I have all the rest of the kit to fit but before I start dismantling the back of the car to fit the internals I need to know if all the cabling is in place or not?
Thanks
Rambo
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Hardtop Wiring Loom

Post by Robert T »

Yes. All Z3s are pre-wired. Where you find it depends on whether you have an electric roof. Before I elaborate, can you confirm that it is an OEM fitting kit and if it came with a couple of flying leads attached to a small white connector?

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Thanks for the swift reply
It is an OEM fitting kit stamped with the BMW logo, came from a car purchased new with the hardtop fitted.
The n/s fitment has 2 white connectors at each end of a short length of cable connected to a bracket for the earth supply.
Thanks
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Sorry forgot to say the car has an electrically operated hood.
Thanks again
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Perfect!

The small loom on the bracket goes inline with existing wiring. When you remove the foam filler piece to install the bracket you should see a connector down in there. Take that apart and put the small loom in the middle.There is a small nut at the bottom you need to remove to fit the bracket then put the nut back and also install the 2 large bolts for the bracket. It's weird why there are 3 mounting holes on the bracket and BMW only ever give you two bolts. Bolts go in the lower 2 positions.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Thanks for the info.
Weather has turned cold again so it may be a while before I get on with the job.
Better to be ready fully armed now rather than finding bits missing!!!
Once again, many thanks
mike
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I have just fitted my wiring loom and switch - I havent tried it yet, but I am wondering if I will need a relay? My Zed is 99 post face lift...

If I do need a relay does anyone know the part number?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

At last I have managed to strip out the plastic sections behind the seats and actually taken out the seats as well which I would recommend to gain access to the hood mechanism.
The new hardtop mounts are in place and the wiring loom interrupted by the small loom that came with the hardtop plus the 2 black wires connected to the top of the mount on N/S
As the hardtop is at the paint shop ( £200 cash for repaint in Sienna Red ! ) I haven't had chance to check on the connection between the hardtop and any socket on the car but should there be a plug/socket to connect to the HRW on the hardtop?
I also can't find the spare plug /socket to fit at the back of the heated rear window switch so does the switch fit at the rear alongside the electric hood button or as the Bentley manual show on the main dash in front of the gearlever? Either way I can't seem to find any spare plug and wire.
The car is a facelift 2.0 1999 with electric hood
I have had to move my 1933 Austin 10/4 outside and cover it up against the elements whilst I fit the H/top so as you imagine I need to get on.
Any ideas please?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi Rambo,

I will try and answer some of your questions if I can.
rambo wrote:As the hardtop is at the paint shop ( £200 cash for repaint in Sienna Red ! ) I haven't had chance to check on the connection between the hardtop and any socket on the car but should there be a plug/socket to connect to the HRW on the hardtop?
If I understand your question there is no further connectors to worry about on the hard top, on the hardtop the HRW is factory wired to connect to the mounting bracket, the power for the HRW is passed through the silver contacts on the N/S hardtop mounting bracket on the car.
rambo wrote:I also can't find the spare plug /socket to fit at the back of the heated rear window switch so does the switch fit at the rear alongside the electric hood button or as the Bentley manual show on the main dash in front of the gearlever? Either way I can't seem to find any spare plug and wire.
The switch wire is located at the rear along side the electric hood button, the loom will be tucked away. Maybe even taped to the tunnel behind the carpet but it will be there.

HTH
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I fitted a hardtop previously and did not need to remove anything from the car other than the trim pieces where the brackets mount. For vehicles without an electric roof, the wiring loom is taped back on itself behind the passenger (left-hand) side lateral trim panel. I appreciate that if you don't know this you might have to go hunting for it.

I have fitted the HRW switch to two cars, and on both the connector for the switch has been taped to the underside of a metal cross-piece on the top of the propshaft tunnel. If you remove the plastic switch tray and look straight down you will see what I mean. If you look carefully you will see that more wires go in than come out. We cut the tape along the back edge and peeled it back underneath the metal cross piece and out popped the connector. You may need to remove the rear screws for the centre trim piece so that you can get a hand under. If you need a little more room, remove the ashtray and the screw(s) underneath it and the two front screws as well.

Finally, if you are using an OEM fitting kit, then the extra loom piece you fit has two flying leads that connect to the spade terminals on the passenger (left-hand) bracket. There are a pair of contacts in the top of the bracket that mate with a similarly positioned pair of contacts on the hardtop clamp. Clamping the roof in position pushes them firmly together making the circuit. You should not need to do anything with the hardtop itself to make the HRW work provided it is in original condition. For the third-party kits I have seen some with extra wiring and I think they bypass the bracket contacts and connect directly to the hardtop using spade connectors - I believe this is also the case with the Hamman hardtop.

Cheers R.
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Many thanks to you all for your replies.
I shall put my deerstalker hat on and start investigating tomorrow.
Best Wishes to all
rambo
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Eureka!!
I've found the the plug exactly where you said it would be, taped with black gaffer tape in the aperture where the hood switch etc fits.
Next problem is the switch supplied with the hardtop is from the 3 series and not a mini terminal type.
Any ideas where I can source the correct one from?
Regards
Rambo
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

The wiring loom for the hardtop is available from BMW - they are only about £13 - part number 61108400220

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=61&fg=10

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22401
Last edited by bertiejaffa on Sat 25 Jan, 2014 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

It's not the wiring loom I want but the correct HRW switch for a 99 Z3 with mini pins and not the big chunky ones on the switch I have
Thanks
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

You should be able to get the switch from a BMW dealer, that's where I got mine.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Sorry.... should have read the whole thread !!! :head:

so you need the HRW Switch?? I searched for ages to get one, eventually I got it direct from BMW - wasnt cheap though, £50+VAT part number for the post face lift version is.... 61.31.8.381.912
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Thanks Bertiejaffa I may try Quarry spares first
Cheers
Rambo
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You say you have a 1999 zed, but unfortunately this is not enough info to determine the switch you need. The zed facelift happened in April 1999, so what matters is if your car was built before or after this date. In your profile you say you have a 2.0, so assuming that this is correct, then you will need a facelift switch, and it is quite possible that the one you have is a pre-facelift switch. Someone with a pre-facelift car may be willing to swap if they also have the wrong switch. :)

Cheers R.