Z3, 2 years in garage, Canmans (Kevans)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
oldguy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3, 2 years in garage, Canmans (Kevans)

Post by oldguy »

Kevans z3 has been in his garage for well over 2 years, not been started, got trickle charger on.

Any tips for what to do before turning over the engine....? Bit of oil down plugs etc ???

Rob, if you read this, need you're help too, need to get it back to its former glory for Alex.....
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Re: Z3, 2 years in garage, Canmans (Kevans)

Post by billz »

It shouldn't take much to do, so long as no rust has set in. Kevan kept it in good shape. 1st thing i would do seeing as its in the Garage is to dewax it then clay bar it then probable machine polish it as that should bring the body work up to the best condition. Interior wise it will probably just be dust so i would wipe it down with a damp cloth then use leather conditioner and AG vinyl care. Engine wise the first thing i would do is check the fluids and run without revs for half an hour or so to re-lubricate the parts then take it for a full inspection 2 service.
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

oldguy wrote:Kevans z3 has been in his garage for well over 2 years, not been started, got trickle charger on.

Any tips for what to do before turning over the engine....? Bit of oil down plugs etc ???

Rob, if you read this, need you're help too, need to get it back to its former glory for Alex.....
Don't forget to remove the fuse for the fuel pump before turning it over, also might need some fresh fuel as anything in the tank will probably be stale by now.

Have sent you a PM
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Unless you can drain all fluids, oil, fuel, coolant and brake in situ In all honesty I think it will be fine, just start it and give it a good run. It may sound a little tappety for a few mins until the oil has circulated but I reckon it will be OK. I would give the brakes a test on a quiet road first to ensure all is well. Longest I've left mine is 6 months but sounded and ran as it it had just been put away.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

You could roll it out to check that each wheel is free.
Also jack up one rear wheel, put it in gear and rotate the engine with the tyre just to check that it's all free and that vermin has not built a nest somewhere....
oldguy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by oldguy »

Thanks all,

Think first thing will be remove plugs, and fuel fuse, and turn it over a few times to lift some oil into engine......

I'll check condition of oil before had too....may be a lot of condensation after over 2 years !

Shouldn't have any issues with paint or interior its been covered up in the garage, might have tyre issues as its not on axle stands.....

thanks again