wobble?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

wobble?

Post by spanwah »

ive noticed in the last 6 months of ownership that when I take my zed at motorway speeds the feeling is like you have a loose wheel on the rear it shakes the car and through the seat from side to side slightly?
its not wheels (newish) the rhr wheel bearing has been done not long ago either! any suggestions? at normal speeds driving round its fine! I feel maybe rear bushes on 85,000 now!!
had this car 2 1/2 years now and still brings a smile to my face :) funny thing is a lot of people pull up next to you in there run of the mill cars and start sniggering sometimes whats that all about????? maybe because a blokes driving a yellow car mind you the wives tend to give you a different kind of smile wink wink :lol:
Mint

blank

Re: wobble?

Post by Mint »

I had a similar thing with my Zed a while back. Wobble at 50 - 60mph. Turned out to be a sticking brake caliper.
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

Mint wrote:I had a similar thing with my Zed a while back. Wobble at 50 - 60mph. Turned out to be a sticking brake caliper.

had that about 3 times you can tell it smells and you feel the heat off the alloys but its never happened for ages that's why I changed the wheel bearing aswell thinking grease would be mullered , I can only think shocks or bushes????? this is a constant at motorway speeds and above
but thanks for the reply!!
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

I would be looking at tyres and driveshaft first.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

And check the wheel for damage. Being new, doesn't mean it's not damaged.
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

BladeRunner919 wrote:And check the wheel for damage. Being new, doesn't mean it's not damaged.
to be honest it was doing it before wheels , I thought the same when I put the new ones on maybe that'll cure it! Ii didn't, I don't go on motorways much but its soooooooooo annoying when someones in the car!!!!
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

t-tony wrote:I would be looking at tyres and driveshaft first.

fairly new tyres don't think it'll be them as doing this before could be driveshafts? I actually thought the camber of the lh side looks worse than right? that's why I though shocks /bushes need to look again at it!!!
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

spanwah wrote:
Mint wrote:I had a similar thing with my Zed a while back. Wobble at 50 - 60mph. Turned out to be a sticking brake caliper.

had that about 3 times you can tell it smells and you feel the heat off the alloys but its never happened for ages that's why I changed the wheel bearing aswell thinking grease would be mullered , I can only think shocks or bushes????? this is a constant at motorway speeds and above
but thanks for the reply!!
+1 I had same issues and was a sticky caliper.

Also I get it now at certain speeds but non of my wheels are balanced so you may have lost some weight off the one or more of the wheels. Check they are balanced correctly.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I'd get the rear wheel balancing checked first, that is the most likely source of a rear wobble.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Question...is it a "bounce" - vertical...or a "wobble"- lateral..??
There are several issues which affect the rear end.
1. wheel balancing - check
2. brakes binding / raise car wheel and turn- check for any damage to true spin - ie no damage to rims and no brake contact to discs
3. warped rear brake disc - as above for # 3.
4. inner CV joints on drive shafts are dry - remove large rubber boot clip on driveshafts, 10 pumps of CV grease and reclip with stout cable ties
5. loose rear stability bar - raise car and check fixing points on bar to body.
6. broken rear spring - raise car and do careful visual check.
7. propshaft rear universal joint worn or seizing up - remove propshaft and have it checked - also for correct balance.
8. propshaft center bearing bushing has collapsed or is weak - raise car and jiggle propshaft adjacent to bearing and observe for excessive movement
9. rear shock absorber collapsed - remove shocks and test
10.Differential mounting damaged / torn or bootwelds to cross member have separated. Raise car check all diff mouning bolts an also diff mount bracket. Remove boot carpet and look for tell tale boot weld separation on left inner area above diff mount.
11.Diff carrier bolts loose - which will affect the trailing arms - raise car and check the integrity of the carrier bolts where they fit to the outer extremities.
12.rear trailing arm bushes - Raise car remove wheel, place jack under hub / raise & lower jack slightly while obseving bushed joints for inapropriate movement at the bushes.
13. excessive cellulite...lipo-suction needed..... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions