A LITTLE WEEP!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

A LITTLE WEEP!

Post by Bonzo »

I have a slow little weep of coolant appearing from the area of the left hand top bolt (viewed from the front) that apparently fixes the manifold type thing that the rad hoses connect to, (top hose to the right side, bottom hose to the left), to the front of the engine.

(On the BMW TIS diagram for coolant change it shows a bleed vent on the top of this manifold thing, but there isn't one on mine!)

Is there a safe sealant additive I could put in the coolant to stop this weep, a radweld sort of thing. I plan to change the coolant soon.

Your advice please, many thanks,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: A LITTLE WEEP!

Post by Southernboy »

A pic would be useful....however, if the leak is at a mating surface between two parts, it is advisable to remove the part, replace the gasket - if it has one there, and use a "gasket silicone" and replace the part at the specified torque settings for those bolts.
The use of additives as a method of sealing is not advisable...it will not only clog the leak, but will also want to clog anywhere else in the coolant system it can find a place to gather...ie. you would be restricting the best possible flow of coolant in your motor to stop a small leak.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Zee3

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zee3 »

Better change the gasket, it should be a cheap fix, I'd avoid additives at all costs
Zee 3.......But now have a Zee 4
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hi all, the little weep is coming from the top l.h. bolt on thermostat cover. I tried getting a socket on it to check if it was loose, but the thicker section of it fouled some sort of surround and it wouldn't reach the head of the bolt. It's got to go in for an MOT soon so I'll ask them to sort it out plus a few other bits. Zelda time for me is limited now. Pretty soon we'll see the birth of a grandson, that and the fact that the mum to be is a bit poorly and she/us have 2 other toddlers to look after tends to fill up our days. I just get the odd chance of a quick blast. Thanks for all your replies.

Cheers,

Bonzo.

ps Strange about there not being a bleeding vent on the cover, as shown!
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.