Z3 Service Manual

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dollyflop

Z3 roadster 2.0

Z3 Service Manual

Post by dollyflop »

Hi Does anyone know were I can purchase a service manual for my 1999 Z3 ,I have seen a few on ebay why are they so expensive?,Thanks Irene.
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 Service Manual

Post by Bowler »

Sure someone will be along soon with an offer of a Bentley manual on disc, Think i paid about £12 pounds for the disc
I have one now transferred from my disc to over 1100 pages and nine files but much easier to look through for an oldy when working on the Z
No other specific manual available for the Z Closest Haynes manual is for the 3 series compact which shares many components but not really what you want
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

There is a Haynes Manual which includes the Z3.

Haynes Repair Manual 18021 BMW 3-Series 1992-1998 (Also includes Z3 models).

You can buy from Amazon market place for about £13inc or on ebay the cheapest is about £14.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-series- ... 54035b7168

The Haynes is my first port of call,then Bentleys which is some times available at a relatively reasonable price.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Bowler wrote:Sure someone will be along soon with an offer of a Bentley manual on disc, Think i paid about £12 pounds for the disc
I have one now transferred from my disc to over 1100 pages and nine files but much easier to look through for an oldy when working on the Z
No other specific manual available for the Z Closest Haynes manual is for the 3 series compact which shares many components but not really what you want

Ever thought of making copies of the disk and selling it on here? I for one would be interested
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

bertiejaffa wrote:Ever thought of making copies of the disk and selling it on here? I for one would be interested
Yes, and the publishers would be another one! Please don't.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Fully agree with Robert, the publishers invest a LOT into these items and take a very dim view of copies being sold let alone given away. Autodata also prosecute anyone they find breeching copyright.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Always willing to help, but only within the confines of the law!
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Bowler wrote:Sure someone will be along soon with an offer of a Bentley manual on disc, Think i paid about £12 pounds for the disc
Can any member tell me,and others, where a (legal) copy of the manual can be bought from on disc. Bentleys don't appear to list the CD version, or perhaps that "somebody" could come along soon and help us out. Thank you
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Anyone with access to a high speed scanner and an original manual can scan and make a disc - for himself ofcourse, as I did. Since I don't own a laptop, I simply print out the relevant pages I require to complete a maintenance project, and then use the paper as note paper and hand wipes afterwards. Most of the "basic" maintenance work which I have covered is now lodged in my memory, so only the relevant "new" info guide pages are needed. These days, I can strip out the entire dash in around an hour and a bit without referring to the manual...and as with almost everything on our cars... 1st. Disconnect the battery and remove the key from the ignition.... :D
The original binding on the Bentleys was pretty crappy, and I found the pages were coming away from the spine...hence my original motivation to put it all on disc.
If one does own a laptop, it's a breeze to have it with the downloaded disc info at hand, and with my personally "upgraded index" which lists all the specific topics and the relevant page number, I can access the specific page I want, vs Bentleys "Section 1, 2, etc index"
Invariably, one needs to refer to several sections to find complimentary instructions to achieve one goal, and simply making a short list of the page numbers of the items which will be required in order of task process, one can hop instantly from one chapter to the next without continuosly referring to the index.
I've continually added to the personalised index as and when I've discovered specific items not previously encountered, so my index is pretty comprehensive, perhaps with the exception of the electrical section which hasn't been a requirement very often.
This is my toolkit which covers all interior requirements plus most "general" under-bonnet" jobs...
Sockets, screwdrivers, torx bits, hex bits and a small ratchet wrench with extensions. The screwdriver has a drive recess in the handgrip into which the wrench drive clips to provide extra long reach if needed. It's compact, and comfrtably slots into the small storage box on the right of the boot. I've added the foam trim so when the lid is closed the contents don't rattle about in the box. The only other tools I keep in the car is one of those "multi tools" which provides a pliers, knife etc. and folds up. That lives in the center rear storage box in the cockpit, and a small LED torch light with a magnetic / peg type clip for the "dark" places...like behind the center console when replacing bulbs... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Z3 Workshop manual / Disc on E bay £3.99
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Not compatible with Windows ?!?!?!?!? So £3.99 for your very own Z3 coaster
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

I've been on the look out for a Bentleys now for nearly a year & half. I might just bite the bullet and pay the £70+ Amazon is asking.

But I have a question...
I have a 1997 2.8 auto roady, should I buy the earlier blue manual or the later yellow one?

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I managed to get one of the yellow ones off ebay this week.... Cant be accused of breaching publishing copyright now :rtm:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

You didn't beat me by a pound did you? £49.98?

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

£58.69 delivered, new and in hardback form from the 'Book Depository UK'
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

bentley-boy wrote:£58.69 delivered, new and in hardback form from the 'Book Depository UK'
Thanks for the info :D

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

sirius-c wrote:You didn't beat me by a pound did you? £49.98?

Sorry.... :oops:

If you ever hop over t'hills to Manchester I will let you borrow it :rtm:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

bertiejaffa wrote:
sirius-c wrote:You didn't beat me by a pound did you? £49.98?

Sorry.... :oops:

If you ever hop over t'hills to Manchester I will let you borrow it :rtm:

There's far too many Zed junkies around, it's becoming a problem :D

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk
Madmonkeyfish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Madmonkeyfish »

If anyone in East Anglia needs to view a copy I have a yellow one in Great Yarmouth, very useful!!!