Dials not coming on

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bananasport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Dials not coming on

Post by Bananasport »

Hi I have owned my 02 2.2 z for about 5 months and had little trouble until this evening when I drove it to the gym and the speedo cluster didn't operate, when I drove home they worked then stopped again at home Any suggestions. :(
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Dials not coming on

Post by Robert T »

It is not a very common problem, but a few people on here have had the same thing, including myself.

The cluster seems to detect a fault at startup and shuts down the dials to protect them. It has happened so rarely on my car, I have not been able to test how to clear the fault - I previously resorted to pulling fuses - but the last time this cropped up, it occurred to me that the immobiliser might be keeping the cluster powered up - it takes 30 seconds to a few mins for the car to forget it has seen a valid key - during this time you can actually start the car with a "dumb" key blade with no chip. So turn off, remove key, wait a few mins, then restart should clear it. An immediate restart will not (I tried!).

Tracing the root cause is going to be harder, as it is so intermittant. I suspect a short or loose connection somewhere.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Bananasport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Dials not coming on

Post by Bananasport »

Thanks Robert, thought I was in for an expensive visit to the main dealer .