Facelift 2.0l cruise control - Help (Now 3.2 1998 S50!)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Facelift 2.0l cruise control - Help (Now 3.2 1998 S50!)

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi All,

I have seen the write up about the retro-fitting of cruise control to the M52 2.8 pre facelift in the knowledgebase, and also seen the comments from many 3.0l people that it was easy and took an hour.

However, can anyone tell me if there is a write up about doing this for a post facelift 2.0l? What would I need? How etc?

Thanks Lee
Last edited by bertiejaffa on Wed 19 Feb, 2014 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Facelift 2.0l cruise control - Help

Post by Brian H »

Lee

I am fairly certain it is the same setup as the 3.0 M54. Check you have the small white connector under the steering column before you buy anything.

Brian
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Brian H wrote:Lee

I am fairly certain it is the same setup as the 3.0 M54. Check you have the small white connector under the steering column before you buy anything.

Brian

Cheers Brian.... I have found this thread also http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29006 (this site is great!) which halfway down there is a comment from DevonZ about retrofitting it to a 2.0l and sounds like I only need to buy a stalk and a relay - this would be awesome if this was the case!! I have pinged him to see if his is pre or post facelift. Ill also check for the pin in a moment when the tropical rainstorm eases off.. !
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

It is the same as other engine sizes. Clutch / brake pedal switches are already in place, as is the white connector under the dash (normally taped up in the loom).

You only need the stalk and the interface. Connect the interface to the white connector under the dash and then the interface to the stalk. It literally took less than 5 minutes to connect it up on my 2.0. You need to cut a hole in the steering wheel cowling for the stalk to sit in but when you remove it you will see which part needs to be cut out as it is already outlined.

I fitted it to my 2.0 (facelift) at Christmas time and everything works as it should.

I think the interface is around £45 and the stalks can be picked up for anything from around a tenner upwards, although they are quite hard to get hold of in the UK.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

g8jka wrote:It is the same as other engine sizes. Clutch / brake pedal switches are already in place, as is the white connector under the dash (normally taped up in the loom).

You only need the stalk and the interface. Connect the interface to the white connector under the dash and then the interface to the stalk. It literally took less than 5 minutes to connect it up on my 2.0. You need to cut a hole in the steering wheel cowling for the stalk to sit in but when you remove it you will see which part needs to be cut out as it is already outlined.

I fitted it to my 2.0 (facelift) at Christmas time and everything works as it should.

I think the interface is around £45 and the stalks can be picked up for anything from around a tenner upwards, although they are quite hard to get hold of in the UK.

You should see the smile on my face :D :D :D :D :D Thanks for the confirmation. I will include it in my journal when I do it - thanks everyone !!! Now... off to ebay :twisted:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

g8jka wrote:It is the same as other engine sizes. Clutch / brake pedal switches are already in place, as is the white connector under the dash (normally taped up in the loom).

Can I just confirm the "interface" is it this part below?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Yes that's the one, have you managed to find one? I'm pretty sure that there wasn't many left to buy from BMW.

Interface part number is 65 71 8 380 054
And the stalk number is 61 31 8 360 926

There is plenty available in the US which should work out around £25 unless you find one in the UK. Make sure you get the correct one with the above part number as I think there are at least 2 different versions.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cheers... you don't know if the part numbers are on them or anything do you? The reason I ask is I have had a look on the bay and I can see plenty of stalks with that number so thats not an issue and for the interface I was just going to ring BMW tomorrow (as I also need a new throttle cable) and get it from them.

Then I remembered that there is a breakers on ebay who is breaking a Z3M and so I have asked him if it has cruise control - if it did I was going to make an offer for the stalk and the interface, but it would be pointless if its the wrong type.

If not, is there any other sites that are useful for parts?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=35014

first post on here has the part numbers
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cheers Brian - what I am after though is whether the parts have the numbers on them. I know the parts (numbers) I need, but I am hoping to source them in one hit but I was assuming they would all be the same - according to G8JKA there are 2 different types though so I want to ensure the ones I might be able to get 2nd hand are the right ones.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Sorry Lee, should have read the question properly :oops: , all the parts should have the numbers on them, sometimes the numbers are on labels wrapped around wiring looms though and these can come off. There are at least 2 different stalks that I know of and maybe even more across the BMW range. If you are buying second hand off eBay etc. state the part number you need to the seller and let them confirm it is the right one.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

no worries Brian, its always good to get any advise!! Seriously, i have a million and one questions that I need to ask !! I want to know a lot about changing shocks, springs, calipers, wheels, spacers ,tyres, servicing, etc etc etc....... so I am going to ask many more "unreasearched" questions than there are unresearched answers

when i get the parts i will put it all in one post on my journal and you can delete this thread - cheers Lee
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Bertie

Just spotted this cruise control stalk going really cheap 'buy it now' on ebay

Get in quick...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-E ... 1371736758
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cheers Alan... sorted :lol:

Ordered the interface from BMW this evening too along with a new throttle cable - picking them up on Wednesday so hopefully it wont be long before I am feet free !!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

that was cheap , I paid £25 for my spare one :cry:
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

PCSAM wrote:that was cheap , I paid £25 for my spare one :cry:

Spare?!?! Just in case?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Facelift 2.0l (now 1998 S50) cruise control - Help

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi all.... as with all best laid plans etc.... I bought a 1998 M (S50) at the weekend and after finding out that fitting the cruise control to my 1999 2.0L was as easy as making a cup of tea, I am hoping and praying that it will be just as easy to fit to my new (old) model..... ? :?:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal