EMERGENCY! Tire problem minutes before big Trip!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

EMERGENCY! Tire problem minutes before big Trip!

Post by Z3 Mark »

My rear nearside tire looks odd and I am literally moments away from driving from london to cornwall, I was looking forward to my first long run in the Z3 but I noticed a problem with the tire:

It sort of looks like it is off of the rim, but I don't know if this is a problem or it just looks odd or something, I'm not going without the all clear from you lot so answers as soon as possible please!!! :bawl:

A Quick google in my panic state appears to say that the wall around the outside is the beading that should be sitting in the rim... which it clearly isn't if that's true.

How do I get it back to where it should be then?

(tyre not tire but I've been on american sites too long)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: EMERGENCY! Tire problem minutes before big Trip!

Post by BladeRunner919 »

That looks perfectly normal. That's not the bead - if it was it would be something like a 17" tyre on a 16" wheel and would just fall off, plus wouldn't hold any air!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Look good to me, as Bladeruuner has said if there was a problem with the bead than it would no hold air. Have a good trip and enjoy your Z :drive
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Why is it the ONLY tire on the car like that then?

I'm thinking of just going for it now as I have put the spare on and cannot for the life of me work out how to drive with the alloy in the car to a garage to get them to have a look at it... best i can do is pop it in the boot and keep it closed over with string
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Z3 Mark wrote:Why is it the ONLY tire on the car like that then?

I'm thinking of just going for it now as I have put the spare on and cannot for the life of me work out how to drive with the alloy in the car to a garage to get them to have a look at it... best i can do is pop it in the boot and keep it closed over with string
Are they all the same make and model of tyre? Seriously, it's 100% fine.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

From the pictures it looks normal to me. That part of the tyre is often called a RIM protector and sticks out so it hits the curb before your alloy does. Some tyres have a large RIM protector and other none.

Same make and model tyres on all 4 corners?
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Looks perfectly normal to me.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing - one of the (few) disadvantages of the 'net. You can't see the bead when a tyre is correctly fitted and inflated, and what you are (presumably) referring to is not the bead.

Why should it be any different on the other three? Dunno, is it the same brand/make of tyre? Apart from being round and black, different brands have different design (you only have to look at the tread patterns to see that).

Stop worrying and go on your journey. If it makes you feel any better, call in to a Kwik Fit or similar and ask them to give it the once-over.

I'd also advise you to buy an aerosol temporary tyre inflater instead of struggling with a spare.

Regards

Peter
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The thing that should concern you more is that your spare is 17 years old and probably dangerously perished. I'd avoid using it unless it's an emergency. Which this isn't.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

As said some tyres have rim protectors some don't. Nothing wrong there.
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

are you also worried that it's black, cos that's normal as well...... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I am not a mechanic but that looks awful.... you should not drive it you should have it loaded onto a truck and delivered to Manchester - I will look after it for you :D :D

Seriously, theres nowt up wi t'tyre... if it was bad then it would be flat. Enjoy cornwall !
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

As others have advised it looks fine, but as said do check your spacesaver located in the wheel well slung under the car as the wheel is rarely checked by previous owners and tend to rot. It hasn't been unknown for a rusty spacesaver to collapse so well worth checking and getting it replaced.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Your tyre is fine, apart from being old.

You see the numbers "1405" in the small rectangle with rounded edges? That means the tyre is manufactured on week 14, year 2005, so it is nearly nine years old. Like any other rubber, tyres harden over time, and the harder they are the less grip you'll have - especially on wet. If they are quite worn as well, they become borderline dangerous. I would advise to change the tyres at some point not-in-too-distant future.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

janijoeli wrote:Your tyre is fine, apart from being old.

You see the numbers "1405" in the small rectangle with rounded edges? That means the tyre is manufactured on week 14, year 2005, so it is nearly nine years old. Like any other rubber, tyres harden over time, and the harder they are the less grip you'll have - especially on wet. If they are quite worn as well, they become borderline dangerous. I would advise to change the tyres at some point not-in-too-distant future.
Wow good spot :rtm: :bow

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Safe and sound in Cornwall :) thanks for the advice, ill get the tyres changed soon :)