Trouble selling wheels

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Trouble selling wheels

Post by Alan W »

Just after some honest opinions, eBay is literally awash with a glut of secondhand BMW wheels and I am having difficulty in getting any interest in some I am selling, do you think I'm asking too much?

Set of four style 64's:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NK7G54/r ... 71_TE_item

Because there was no interest I also tried selling as single items:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271395585940? ... 1555.l2649

And I also tried selling this set of style 45's for £90 but again no interest:

1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Trouble selling wheels

Post by gookah »

Alan W wrote:Just after some honest opinions, eBay is literally awash with a glut of secondhand BMW wheels and I am having difficulty in getting any interest in some I am selling, do you think I'm asking too much?

Set of four style 64's:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NK7G54/r ... 71_TE_item

Because there was no interest I also tried selling as single items:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271395585940? ... 1555.l2649

And I also tried selling this set of style 45's for £90 but again no interest:

Just my 2 penneth as a prospective buyer of wheels.
I have been 'half' looking on eBay for some winter wheels because I am not keen on the winter ones i have on at the moment. (type 64's!)
Personally I would have passed over your type 45's for the following reasons.

No tyres, so looking at another £2-300 quid.
Would need a refurb so another £150 upwards

total cost would now be in the region of £450 to £550 (but they would be as new).
However, the 'no tyres' is the biggest reason for me because, then I would want them re-furbing before I had fitted with new rubber, so that guaranteed the expense.
However if I could maybe get some marked wheels with tyres with a few mm left that would see me through, for £150-200, I would delay the refurb because they would do for now...
So it may be worth fitting some part worn tyres and increasing the price, as daft as it seems.
Ps I know this would be an option for the buyer, but i see that as more hassle and would still niggle me fitting part worn tyres to marked wheels, Cos I would still want/have to get them refurbed first.
Last edited by gookah on Wed 19 Feb, 2014 21:53, edited 2 times in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

nah, there not to expensive, theres just a lot on ebay at the moment, people selling as there still skint from Christmas. just wait till spring and try again. I waited till autumn to sell my hard top mounts and it paid off big time 8-)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I've been offered a set of Style 45s with tyres (although I don't want the tyres) for just under £60, if that helps?
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

I'm not sure if i can say this on here

But if your still keen on selling them on i run a facebook bmw buy and sell page with 5000 members things seem to shift quickly on there. If you want more details send me a PM.

Regards
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I've been offered a set of Style 45s with tyres (although I don't want the tyres) for just under £60, if that helps
I'm not suprised as there is a total glut of style 45s

Think I wont bother selling them now and because they aren't that bad I'll have a go at refurbing them myself just as a little summer project..
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

don't see why you cant mention you fb page on here, if it has a shed load of spares surely it can only be win win.This is a z specific forum so shouldn't really matter. 8-) maybe I should put together more footwell lights ready for fb :lol:
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

Think I wont bother selling them now and because they aren't that bad I'll have a go at refurbing them myself just as a little summer project..[/quote]

have a go, im goint too on my spare set, if it doesn't work - so what, there a spare set. :lol:
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

I noticed you have them as collection only and no shipping offered.

The value of eBay over your local rag is that the whole world can see it. If you only offer collection in person then you really limit the appeal to those that are local or prepared to travel and can transport themselves. Also, if you own a Z3 then you would need another vehicle for the pickup as they won't fit in the car.

I purchased a bulky (no shipping) item just recently and had to wait for a local one to come up. I had to pass up on a number of cheaper ones in the meantime just because they were too far away.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

littlefeller wrote:don't see why you cant mention you fb page on here, if it has a shed load of spares surely it can only be win win.This is a z specific forum so shouldn't really matter. 8-) maybe I should put together more footwell lights ready for fb :lol:
I would be an intrested party if you had a set :o
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I do still have sets left, I have also received messages from other members too, looks like I need to do another postal run :lol: send me your address joycey
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

If people want your wheels desperate enough they will travel to collect them, I sold the AC Schnitzers to a guy in London and I'm in Staffs and he was with me by 9am after 5 inches of snow. The biggest problem I've had with selling alloys is the silly offers some pretty insulting as people generally these days want something for nothing and when turned away have become aggressive :?

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I would buy this set myself as I quite like them, however I already have too many wheels myself :( :lol: . most folk want something for nothing, I have been listing vintage retro lighting on ebay and some of the offers are just an insult. I originally tried to sell my pepper pots but the offers I got was just daft, I later desided to keep and refurb as they are pretty retro and original, coupled by the fact the car handles better with them :shock: (though there not on there at the moment)