Can you detango for £4.99?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Can you detango for £4.99?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

So, the topic of detangoing is a common one and the real issue is the front indicators, within the headlights. The options are pretty much limited to buying replacement headlights that have the clear lenses or removing the orange lenses and leaving an exposed bulb.

The former doesn't really appeal to me because of the cost and the latter doesn't appeal to me aesthetically. So I started wondering if there was an alternative. I considered opening the headlight and lightly spraying the orange lens with a tint, dulling down the orange. That then got me wondering if I could actually 'whiten' the orange indicators instead.

I recalled that some forum members had used an adhesive film called 'flyeyes' to tint their rear lights, so I wondered if I could use a similar approach. Flyeyes is a coloured film with lots of perforations to let the light through. They have lots of tints, so I went for a light grey colour - £4.99 including delivery. To avoid having to open up my own headlights just to get at the orange lenses I bought a couple of spares from g8jka. Here is a comparison of a covered lens and an uncovered lens:

This is a close up of the flyeyes covering:

This is a rather unscientific comparison of the light throughput of a covered and uncovered lens:

And this is the two lenses from a distance:

The camera seems to show the film and the perforations more than the eye sees, and I reckon that with the indicator lens being inside the headlight it will be even less obvious.

So the next question in my mind is about heat. The flyeyes film is designed to go outside the headlight, not inside, so I need to try and find out whether heat build up will be an issue. So the next task is to see how hot it gets inside a headlight. I reckon that I can remove the sidelight bulb, insert a temperature probe and leave the headlights on full beam for a while and see what happens. If it gets very hot, I'll test the covered lenses in an oven at the same temperature to see what happens.

I'd be interested to see what you think about the principle and the theory and whether I've forgotten anything?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Can you detango for £4.99?

Post by Southernboy »

Nice thinking Blades...I think the temperature issue is a variable...If you have your main lights on and the car standing still, the heat may be fairly intense after a short while. However, if the lights are on but the car is in motion, then the passing air will work to cool excessive heat build-up. Finally, although you have chosen to use a "film", there isn't any reason why equally finely perforated metal sheet - also commonly available - could not be used in place of the film, and once "formed" over the OEM orange lense, the lense can be disposed of entirely, and an orange bulb fitted instead. If you google "perforated metal sheet" .. you will find that the stuff is available in thicknesses down to around .25mm...and in various metals...from copper to ally to steel to stainless steel...
But since you're looking into "films", might I suggest you consider the use of "mirror" film...this has been around for ever...from the outside one sees a mirror, but it is actually transparent from the opposite side...much like the "silver" light bulbs which provide orange illumination.
So a couple of alternatives, one which may provide an escape from the heat issue, and the other an effective mirror coating of the orange lense... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I think these look really good, I have seen the flyeyes stuff up close and think it should be OK. Good call about the temp in the headlights but do not think it should be an issue as it will not be a direct heat. Keep us informed.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Detango for even less..... Use a perforated mesh screen and paint the orange lense with high heat paint...white, silver etc... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I personally can't see the heat question being an issue.... if that was the case then they would melt on the outside too (especially in hot weather) - I think they will be fine. I also think they look good and are an affordable alternative for anyone looking to de-tango.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The heat in the headlight is quite concentrated around the [headlight] bulb itself and the beam it projects (you can feel this heat where the light is focusses on the outside of the headlight), not really baking the whole of the unit inside.

It's hard to say what this looks like - need to see it back inside the headlight and fitted to the car!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Thanks for the comments. I also don't really think the heat will be an issue, but as it's fairly easy to probe the internal temp I can at least get an idea of what the temperature may be in there.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Blades...is this stuff available on eBay???
"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I bought it direct from them:

http://www.flyeyeskit.co.uk/
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...I would have to give you 1st prize for ingenious thinking with the use of this stuff for the application you have proposed...very insightful! :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:...I would have to give you 1st prize for ingenious thinking with the use of this stuff for the application you have proposed...very insightful! :wink:
Let's see how it turns out first - could be a disaster! :D
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

you know, i was thinking the same thing after seeing flyeyes on someones lights 2 weeks ago. i thought of using the black kit so the amber blends with the black in the rest of the light. glad someone has thought of this too and has been brave enough to give it a go.
let me know how it turns out when it's all back together?