Flar Battery

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Flar Battery

Post by johnz3 »

Hi. Not used the car since Sunday and given thatit was not used much before I brought it not too surprised. Now on charge.
A couple of things.

The car was in the garage and I left it unlocked with the drivers window down. The red alarm light on the dash was flicking on or off. Was this a reason.

And

It might be that the bootlight is remaining on. I say this because what I think are the two on/off buttons in the bootlid, when pushed back into their housing do not turn off thd light. Are these two buttons the on/off bootlights.

Thanks
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Flar Battery

Post by Southernboy »

The bootlight story puzzles me...It should operate in the same way that the interior light does... ie. it is turned off by the system after some while after the doors have been closed. I can't imagine the bootlight would be any different, simply to avoid the possible issue you are suggesting. The on /off button for the boot light is housed in the boot lock catch. There is only one button.
However, you need to check the wiring harness in the left corner where it exits the body and goes into the boot lid. Check that it isn't frayed or shorting.
The red flashing led will not run your battery down in a week...so ignore that cause. The battery itself may be on it's way out, so that should be tested..it may take a charge, but isn't holding it for long...a sure sign of it's terminal state... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Thanks Southernboy. Tried the phone trick re video and the light does go out. Also found the switch so thanks for that.

It may also be that the boot was not closed fully.

I note from the service history that a new battery was purchased Sept 2009 so might be due a new one. It is going to get a good charge tonight so will see.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Boot light is AFAIK a simple switch, and the interior light will stay on if left in the on position or if a door is left open, so do make sure you close both doors and boot properly.

I am puzzled that your alarm LED is flashing even when the car is not locked. I am no expert on the early alarm, but I didn't think it flashed unless it was armed, which it does when you lock the car with the remote. Have you checked if the alarm actually works? It could be that it is trying to sound and the siren is dead, thus draining the battery?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Thanks Robert.

Will check if the alarm is working tomorrow and report back.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Robert T wrote:I am puzzled that your alarm LED is flashing even when the car is not locked. I am no expert on the early alarm, but I didn't think it flashed unless it was armed, which it does when you lock the car with the remote.
Robert is correct. I leave my car in the garage unlocked and the LED light does not flash. the only light flashing is the red alarm one in the radio
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

John,

I assume we are talking about your new car? If so you will have the later type alarm fitted to it, where abouts is the LED indicator fitted?

Brian
Nad

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Nad »

Yes I had the same happen to mine, It had been sitting for about a week and when I tried to start the car all I got was a click. I had checked the battery when I got the car and found it was new but the wrong APH and size, so when this happened I replaced the battery with the correct one for the car, but shock horror it went flat too! Then I discovered that as mentioned the boot wires had shorted through and the boot light was on all the time. After repairing the wires and unclipping them from the boot hinge which I think causes damage to the wires in the first place as they have to bend quite sharply when the boot is closed.
And no more problems with the battery, the only thing I have done is remove the bulb from the boot light just in case. :wink: