New Z3 Roadster - ADVICE / SPARES NEEDED

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
russg84

Z3 roadster 1.9

New Z3 Roadster - ADVICE / SPARES NEEDED

Post by russg84 »

The wait is over. After months of looking for a budget Z3, I have finally found something.
Very pleased with it. Its a 1997 1.9 with 124,000 miles and some service history. Bodywork, engine, gearbox and hood are all in good condition.
I bought it as a project and it does need a little work to it as it has been sat on a driveway for over 6 months, the interior in particular is a little bit scrappy.
So, this is where I need your guys expertise, I've been scouring through this forum for a while and everyone is so helpful and more importantly knowledgeable.

So here goes, if any of you can help with the following, I'd be forever grateful:

1. Windscreen washer - the windscreen washer isn't working on either the windscreen or the lights. The pump appears to be working and when I've removed them both from the bottle, the motors are turning and the inlet valves arent blocked in the tank or the pipes. Any ideas what it might be?

2. Headlights faded - both the front headlights are faded, from the inside I think. It appears that some damp has got inside of the fitting and I know these are very expensive to replace. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it or a particular product that is good at cleaning them up?

3. Door speaker grills - the speaker grills on both doors are rusty and damaged. How are these removed? does the door card need to be taken out? and does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to source them?

4. Dashboard fade - The passenger side of the dashboard has faded, from the sunlight I think. I have attempted to polish it out but to no avail? it there any cleaning or paint spraying product that will bring it back to its original colour?

5. Damp / sodden carpets - The carpets are damp from where it has been in storage. The drivers side is particularly bad, there is actually a hole in the carpet. This has caused the car to smell a bit damp. This is a priority really, cos it stinks! Should i hire or borrow a carpet cleaner or just replace the carpets?

6. Rubber door seal (driver side) - The rubber door seal is heavily damaged, which may be another cause of the damp to the carpets etc. Any ideas where I can source a replacement and how much it will cost?

7. Driver seat wear - This is pretty standard with most zeds, but I'd like to tidy it up if possible. Any ideas on the cheapest / best solution?

....Sorry this was so long but I've found it by far the best source for advice anywhere and don't want to hurry into anything before asking the experts.
Once I have the basics sorted, I will be seeking some advice on what aesthetic improvements I can make. Chrome side gills are next on my shopping list.

Many thanks,

Russ
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Re: New Z3 Roadster - ADVICE / SPARES NEEDED

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Hi Russ

I may have a couple of bits you are after, clean carpet and door seal.

Where are you based?

Cheers

SFIAC

(Woking, Surrey)
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Welcome Russ...

I am sure someone will be able to add to (correct) my thoughts but in order I would say:

1. Windscreen Washers - I don't know some one will. (I wasnt aware 1.9 had them on the headlights)
2. Headlights - These are easily removed from the car (4 screws) see attached thread.. I think the oven temp is around gas mark 5/160 degrees. This way you can seperate, clean and restick http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ed#p269455
3. Door card removal - http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=11887
4. Dashboard - I am currently stripping all mine out and recovering in extended leather (look for southernboy journal) otherwise, I have also used black scuffmaster by liquid leather
5. Carpet - you will need to find the water ingress first, have a search for leaks etc - you will find plenty of threads. There are also some drain holes which let water in too under the carpet and then the restoration or replacement of the carpet is your choice. Breakers or ebay usually for a replacement
6. Door seal - again probably a good breakers - someone can advise of one
7. Driver bolster - again scuffmaster in your interior colour. Follow this thread to be sure of your colour http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=37860

Most of the things you will need will be on the knowledge link above and then Z3 Roadster. Otherwise the search engine in the top right is very good to be honest - and as an IT consultant I have seen many crap ones!

Cheers Lee
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
fast_dps

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by fast_dps »

Russ
Enjoy the car. Like you I am relatively new to this site and have been very impressed with the quality of information. My 2.8 had been in a front end smash when I got it and i found this breakers very good and informative, depends upon where you are based, Bridgend Recycling in Kent (http://www.bmw-spares.com/index.php). I have also done well picking up bits off ebay by being patient, I got a pair of new headlights for £140.

Darren
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

3) For the door speaker grills you have to remove the door card as there is a screw at the rear. The mesh is bent into the surrounding frame with little tabs that you have to carefully bend back to separate from the frame. When I renovated mine last year, I gently rubbed the mesh with sandpaper, cleaned with spirit, followed by one coat of etch primer and then my chosen top colour with was satin black – came up like new. :)

When you separate the mesh from the frame there is some “black material netting stuff” which must stop dust getting to the speaker cone. This disintegrates with age and a forum member here Brian4 recommended replacing with the black material used in gardening to suppress weeds under chippings etc. I used this and the results were terrific. :)

Whilst you have your door cards off it is good practice to lubricate all guides and moving parts for the windows which are a known problem area – I would tease down the door waterproof membrane from the top to give access and then seal back down with duck tape etc.

I managed to carefully lever out the plastic door card studs without breaking any – didn’t use a special tool.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/interi ... panel.html
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

windscreen washers, if you remove the under bonnet soundproofing you'll see a 'non return' valve on the underside of each of the nozzles, sometimes these fail. You can bypass them to see if they are causing the problem, easy and cheap to replace (available on ebay).

cheers
Keith
russg84

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by russg84 »

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I've got some homework to do.

1. Windscreen washers - not sure its a non-return valve issue as neither the windscreen nor the headlight washers are working. Would be unlikely that both have faulty non-return valves. I will have a look though
2. Headlights - I'll have a look at the "oven" procedure. That does scare me a little bit but it looks like it has worked for a few people. If needs must :?
3. Speaker grills - thought it might be a door card removal job. have managed to find a pair of grills for £20, so might just replace them to save me fiddling around restoring the current ones. Del - Ill be sure to have a good inspection / lubrication while I'm in there
5. Damp Carpets - spurs fan - I have pm'd you
6. Door seal - as above - I've struggled finding any of these
7. Seat damage - I will pick myself up some scuffmaster, will be a cheaper alternative that replacing the seat all together

I think a breakers yard would be a good place to start. I have found a few spares/repairs on eBay, but a lot of them are overcharging for parts. I've found brand new parts cheaper!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I vaguely recall forum members saying that in the bottom of the washer bottle, the water can become stagnant and sludgy and a type of "frogspawn" develops that can block the outlets - just needs a good clean out. :shock:
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Del wrote:I vaguely recall forum members saying that in the bottom of the washer bottle, the water can become stagnant and sludgy and a type of "frogspawn" develops that can block the outlets - just needs a good clean out. :shock:
Yep - I had that in my 3 series tourer - the water was barely a trickle coming from my washers. Was 30 mins to pull out clean and replace... and OMG - how much crap !

With regards the scuffmaster - look on Gookah's progress journal - thats why I use that product and I think it is great. There is also this thread showing a restore of seats (not sure what product) http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =9&t=39499

Finally, once the seats have been restored then you apparently keep them clean and soft with E45 cream (yep basic bum cream!) http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =9&t=39855
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
russg84

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by russg84 »

1. Windscreen washers
I've had the washer bottle out, emptied it and cleaned both of the outlets, as well as checking the pipes.
Pretty certain both of the pumps are working, I can see the mechanism spinning at the bottom.
I might disconnect the pipe at the washer jet end and try to flush it through in case there is a blockage.
The car was stood still for over 6 months, so this may have caused a build up of mildew in the water.
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

Is yours a black or tan dash
I have both
metalmickey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by metalmickey »

Hi Russ
Looks like a lot of work but could be very rewarding.
Re: The bolster. I had the same wear when I bought mine in September. It was the only flaw with the interior and I was surprised how bad it was as the car had only done 57000 on a T plate.
I used Furniture Clinic to carry out a mobile repair and refinish. Cost me £150 and the result was good, although I have some colour loss already. I will take a look at scuffmaster for the future.
Good luck with your project. My Zed is my fifth BMW and I just love it. Roll on the summer sunshine!!
Best
MM
russg84

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by russg84 »

Johnjo

My dash is black. PM me if you have something and where you are.

Russ
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

PM sent :)
Scrapman

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Scrapman »

This thread is a perfect example of why I have joined this forum, and look forward to being an active member. I also have just bought my first Z3, after having spent all of last summer trying very hard not to. (No middle age crisis here!!!)

I picked mine up last Thursday and I have been on here every night so far,looking for tips and advice, and seeing how other owners are treating their babies. I feel a confidence that I probably don't deserve, knowing that I have a fountain of knowledge behind me to help me on this path.

Russ, sorry for spamming your thread, and best of luck with your project.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Scrapman wrote:This thread is a perfect example of why I have joined this forum, and look forward to being an active member. I also have just bought my first Z3, after having spent all of last summer trying very hard not to. (No middle age crisis here!!!)

I picked mine up last Thursday and I have been on here every night so far,looking for tips and advice, and seeing how other owners are treating their babies. I feel a confidence that I probably don't deserve, knowing that I have a fountain of knowledge behind me to help me on this path.

Russ, sorry for spamming your thread, and best of luck with your project.
Welcome as well... this website is almost as addictive as the cars themselves. My advise is read every thread that comes up, even if it is not associated with you. In the 6 months that I have been "active" on here I have learnt so much from a lot of great people and so often something will come up on my car which I remember from a thread a few weeks/months ago. Makes it all very easy
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

bertiejaffa wrote:Welcome as well... this website is almost as addictive as the cars themselves. My advise is read every thread that comes up, even if it is not associated with you.
Good advice Bertie, agreed, I have done exactly that.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I have actually printed off lots of stuff from the knowledgebase and other posts, and from the .org site and keep them in a large file with all Zelda's documents and history. You can just pull out the relative paperwork and photos when you need them.

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.