Spare tyre- replace or bin??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Spare tyre- replace or bin??

Post by Z3 Mark »

So my spare tyre is dangerous and needs to be replaced, HOWEVER, I was wondering if I would be better off with a can of run flat instead seeing as the regular wheels don't fit in the boot, and they don't even really fit in the passenger compartment either.

I was wondering if it would be best to just cut my losses and get some of that run flat canned stuff and be done with the spare tyre all together, it'd save weight if nothing else! :D
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Spare tyre- replace or bin??

Post by Captain »

I keep a BMW mobility kit in the boot, which includes a compressor.
ImageImage
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

My concern would be if the hole in your tyre was so big that the tyre gunk didn't fill it :( I know from my experience that when my tyre blew it left a large hole. I rang the green flag and they said i would be charged despite being a member for them to come out as the Z was fitted with a spare when it left the factory.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

bin'd mine :)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Binned mine too. Horrible things space savers, I carry a can of tyre weld and fingers crossed I don't get a blow out. I'm in the RAC so don't know if I would to be charged for not carrying a spare. I'll take my chance! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

most new cars don't have them
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Nothing wrong with space savers, it will guarantee you will get home whereas using foam more than likely you won't. I bought a new spacesaver off e-bay and it sits in the boot rather than under the car.

I never carry that much in the boot so any flat will go in the boot and tie the boot lid down........in theory :)

I would rather use a plug kit than foam.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

I bin'ed the spare on my previous zed but haven't on this one yet, but this thread has reminded me that's another thing I need to do
My view is if you get a puncture the wheel you take off won't fit in the car anyway so what's the point ! Plug kit and compressor is the way to go for me
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I have a Mercedes kit in my boot, simply because it was free, the kit consists of a compressor and a bottle that screws into the compressor (though I can use the compressor by itself) ummm wonder what the z would look like with a spare ON the boot :lol:
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

My old space saver was c****y too. Got another E36 space saver from a saloon or coupe which in those, live indoors within the boot, eBay unused as new £30. Still keep it where it should be in the rack, but, I take it out every now and then (which isn't difficult contrary to popular belief) and give it a wipe down........mind you my 'toy' doesn't do winter.....like it'sowner :sunny
We sort of refurbed the old one and reseated the tyre, so it acts as a garage spare when we've got wheels off.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - dump the spare wheel - if you are one of those who only drive around town, and never venture across the Channel! A spacesaver is at least useful for long runs - I had to use mine from Bouloglne to the Dordogne, which was 525 miles, and it is still fit for lots of use. It may not be suitable for hard cornering, but at least it got me home, whereas an aerosol would only be a temorary fix.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I don't really understand the point of binning it - it's not as though it takes up any space that could be otherwise used. I've used space savers on my cars with no ill-effects. For example, on my Subaru I discovered last summer that one of the front tyres had worn the inside edge down to the canvas and was probably only a few miles from exploding :shock: - no amount of foam would have made that safe, so I put on the space saver spare and drove to get the tyre swapped. Without it I'd have had to risk driving on the dangerous tyre.

And anyone that mentions weight-saving is deluding themselves that they are some kind of racing driver. :D
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I don't really understand the point of binning it - it's not as though it takes up any space that could be otherwise used. I've used space savers on my cars with no ill-effects. For example, on my Subaru I discovered last summer that one of the front tyres had worn the inside edge down to the canvas and was probably only a few miles from exploding :shock: - no amount of foam would have made that safe, so I put on the space saver spare and drove to get the tyre swapped. Without it I'd have had to risk driving on the dangerous tyre.

And anyone that mentions weight-saving is deluding themselves that they are some kind of racing driver. :D
+1 it seems getting rid of the spare wheel for a can of foam is just inconvienience to me, why would you? :head:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

runflats....a tad hard on the spine, but you don't need to do any foaming, changing etc etc... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Wow what a response!

My thinking is that the space saver wont get me out of a jam if I can't fit the wheel with the flat in the bloody car!

I do the odd LONG (plus 400 mile) journeys in the car, but not abroad and I'm in the AA so figure I'd be covered hopefully (might be worth calling them perhaps to check)

So long as I could nurse the car home / destination I could then sort the wheel at my leisure, so I'm thinking a can of the get you home stuff might be enough... maybe even keep it in the plastic tub that the spare sits in... hmmmm...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Best tools for the "average" puncture situation is a mini compressor, the rubber plugs and goo with the reamer / fitting tool...and your car jack. It's a simple case of jack the wheel off the floor, find the puncture, remove the offending cause with a pliers from your tool kit, ream out the hole, get a rubber snakey thing and some goo...do the insertion, and use the mini compressor to inflate the tyre - whilst the car is still jacked up !! - lower the car and drive away...
Beats the "c**p" out of the foamy gunk, and if done properly, the tyre is as well repaired as if you had had the repair done "professionally"...
If it's a large hole...well you're stuffed...and you'll wish you had the OEM spare. Question is, how often does one have a situation where the tyre is not repairable because it has a huge hole in it? If you have good tyres fitted with a good ammount of tread on it, then it's very rare to even get a puncture. Total blow-outs are even more rare...well - in my experience.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Southernboy wrote:Best tools for the "average" puncture situation is a mini compressor, the rubber plugs and goo with the reamer / fitting tool...and your car jack. It's a simple case of jack the wheel off the floor, find the puncture, remove the offending cause with a pliers from your tool kit, ream out the hole, get a rubber snakey thing and some goo...do the insertion, and use the mini compressor to inflate the tyre - whilst the car is still jacked up !! - lower the car and drive away...
Beats the "c**p" out of the foamy gunk, and if done properly, the tyre is as well repaired as if you had had the repair done "professionally"...
If it's a large hole...well you're stuffed...and you'll wish you had the OEM spare. Question is, how often does one have a situation where the tyre is not repairable because it has a huge hole in it? If you have good tyres fitted with a good ammount of tread on it, then it's very rare to even get a puncture. Total blow-outs are even more rare...well - in my experience.
+1
ImageImage
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Mine was completely rusted so I binned it. I also took an angle grinder to the cage that used to hold it as it was scraping on speed bumps from time to time (not an issue if your car isn't lowered). Like someone else said, where would you put the wheel you took off if you did use the space saver anyway? Won't fit in the boot, and would barely fit in the passenger seat - not that I'd want a filthy tyre inside my car. I'd much rather make regular checks of the tyres for obvious signs of wear, and if it does come down to it, use my breakdown cover.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Well, if your idea of fun is waiting an hour for the AA etc to arrive, finding that the tyre cannot be repaired, recovering your car to a tyre dealer who does not have a suitable type in stock etc etc, then good luck to you! On a Sunday the situation may even be worse.

Otherwise, you fit the spare in half an hour and go on your way . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

does the ally wheel actually fit in the hole where the space saver was? if not and I have a passenger can the ally wheel fit in the boot? this is something I had thought about before, I removed mine simply because I fitted larger wheels (though as someone on here pointed out the fact that the larger wheels would have a smaller side wall and as such the spare would still be ok). I took it off and am too lazy to put it back on, though I had intended too once I get around to putting my original 15 inch pepperpots back on. (got some tyres to burn out first though as im also tight fisted). but in hindsight if I cant find a space to put the now flat tyre then what is the point in having a spare :shock:
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Wow this really has set a debate going! Surely it's as simple as personal choice, there is no right or wrong answer is there? :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Davejue1 wrote:Wow this really has set a debate going! ................. :)
Yup - it always does on many forums!! :wink:
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

another idea - would the plastic tray for the spare fit in the boot, then the flat may fit in the metal hanger part (with the tray removed) :?:
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

My wheel does fit in the empty boot if deflated, which it would be in the event of a puncture.
In these parts the rescue services could sometimes take a couple of hours to get to you so Puncturesafe/Ultraseal pre-installed and a spare is my choice.
I won't buy a car without a spare.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

just found the solution on facebook