Heated seat elements (mat)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Heated seat elements (mat)

Post by Dino D »

I think I may need to change the heated seat element ( mat) on my drivers seat.
The window was open and the seat got drenched. I have taken the seat apart completely (removed covers, foam and element so it is all dry, also repaired saggy bolster).
There do not appear to be any breaks in the elements but it still does not work so reckon it is a small break from metal fatigue in the element. I have seen threads where the break was a viols and caused a scorch mark but I have none.

So looking at replacement elements and I came across this:
http://www.car-vision.co.uk/bi-automoti ... fibre.html

It's a Carbon fibre heating mat that is supposed to be better than the original wires. I'm inclined to agree.

Anyone tried this out? Also got me thinking how easy it is to actually add heaters to standard seats as all Z's have wiring but you'll need the switches...
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Heated seat elements (mat)

Post by Rocketbike »

I've got a heated waistcoat for my motorbike which is the carbon stuff, and it's great. Not at all fragile. I can stuff it in the packing, and it still works perfectly after about three years.
I was quoted £360 to have my seats fitted with kits. I thought that was reasonable, but would do it myself if it was easy enough :)
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

If it works as waistcoat after 3 yrs then can't argue with that!

It's really pretty simple to get the seats apart.
So far I've seen the mats for around 120 each so 360 is not a bad price given it'll take me about 4 hours working flat out, maybe longer.
Does the company that quotes you have a website? The mats they use might be a better price hence their overall price is so low.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

is it just the seat bolster?
have you got any resistance reading across the existing element?
are you sure its the seat mats and not fuse/switch or wiring?
You can try applying 12v to one end and earth to the other end of the element for a short time to see if it actually warms up. When mine was broken I had no resistance, but when repaired I had an ohms reading (that I can't remember the value now), but it signified there was definitely a completed circuit again.

Also for £360, I would rather be waiting for M seats to turn up on eBay for not much more with the factory heaters.
The supply to the seat heater mat is a pulsed 12v, with the half heat setting being a shorter pulse/ longer gap between pulses.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

It's just the lower half I think but need to test the upper half to be sure.
I don't have a multimeter to check readings.
I can swap switches from the passenger side to rule that out.
Will check fuses. Didn't realize if had any as when I fitted the seats and switches I never fitted any fuses (my car had non heated seats from factory).

The heater stopped working after the seat got wet. The seats appeared dry so I used the heaters an I think that is when it stopped working. After realising the foam was actually wet under the leather I them removed the seats and stripped them down (and fixed my bolster like you did with duct tape!).

The carbon fibre mats appear to give more even spread of heat and given the age if these cars I can see the wires failing with time on the factory items. So if the mat is shot then I think I'll try newer tech than buy the original elements which are also not very cheap.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Does anyone know if you have to sit/apply pressure to the seat/heater element for it to work or does it hear regardless of occupancy?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

FYI, I fitted heated pads to my standard tanin red seats in my 2.0l - £50 off ebay, connector block under the seat... warm bum - happy days :D
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

bertiejaffa wrote:FYI, I fitted heated pads to my standard tanin red seats in my 2.0l - £50 off ebay, connector block under the seat... warm bum - happy days :D
Did they work with the OEM 2 stage heated seat switches ok?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

yep, they were fine, just had to use a terminal block instead of the normal BMW connector
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Good to know. Just tested them and they seem to be working fine I think they didn't like being wet...
Looked in the fuse box and didn't see an fuses fr heated seats just seat controls (electric seats).
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Dino D wrote:Good to know. Just tested them and they seem to be working fine I think they didn't like being wet...
Looked in the fuse box and didn't see an fuses fr heated seats just seat controls (electric seats).

Fuse number 4, for the heated seats, its a 15 amp
They will heat without anyone in the seat, but sitting on them makes the leather warm up quicker as it presses it against the mat. Just switching them on without sitting on them will seem like they are not working for a while till the heat eventually transfers to the leather.
glad it's sorted,.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

bertiejaffa wrote:FYI, I fitted heated pads to my standard tanin red seats in my 2.0l - £50 off ebay, connector block under the seat... warm bum - happy days :D
Have you got a link to the ones you bought?