Steering wheel alignment (new track rods)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Steering wheel alignment (new track rods)

Post by fish »

Hi,
Just putting the Z back together now and have it ready to drop down after replacing wishbones etc....

When putting the track rod ends on (i.e new), I assume I have to line up the steering wheel somehow? i.e. for the centre ? Is the steering wheel lock sufficient? I would then measure the old ones and set the new ones to the same.....then hook the wheel bit back over the track rod end and tighten up etc......

Or do I need some sort of steering wheel clamp to hold it bang on?

Grateful for feedback.....

Ian
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Steering wheel alignment (new track rods)

Post by BladeRunner919 »

fish wrote:Hi,
Just putting the Z back together now and have it ready to drop down after replacing wishbones etc....

When putting the track rod ends on (i.e new), I assume I have to line up the steering wheel somehow? i.e. for the centre ? Is the steering wheel lock sufficient? I would then measure the old ones and set the new ones to the same.....then hook the wheel bit back over the track rod end and tighten up etc......

Or do I need some sort of steering wheel clamp to hold it bang on?

Grateful for feedback.....

Ian
You need to get the tracking done professionally - there's no real way to do it properly yourself. Get the wheels pointing in the right general direction and take it to be done. I wouldn't be driving around until it's done if I were you.
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

I Am Taking To Be Tracked Professionally. I Am Just On About The Initial Set Up...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...what you propose is good enough to get you to a pro wheel alignment outlet...Once they've done you might find you'll need to mve the steering wheel a notch left or right on the shaft... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

Just had a quote from local BMW Dealer of £240 (inc of vat) to do tracking, or "their" 4 wheel alignment etc...said they needed to adjust the rear axle etc too....

I assume any of the majors (ATS/National/Kwik fit etc) will do an equal job etc.....

Where on earth is the rear axle adjustment?
Last edited by fish on Wed 19 Mar, 2014 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

fish wrote:Just had a quote from local BMW Dealer of £240 (inc of vat) to do tracking, or "their" 4 wheel alignment etc...said they needed to adjust he rear axle etc too....

I assume any of the majors (ATS/National/Kwik fit etc) will do an equal job etc.....

It must be located on their bill only, as it is not possible on the car.....
:D
Last edited by gookah on Wed 19 Mar, 2014 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

fish wrote:Just had a quote from local BMW Dealer of £240 (inc of vat) to do tracking, or "their" 4 wheel alignment etc...said they needed to adjust he rear axle etc too....

It's not adjustable. I'd be interested on their response if you were to challenge them on how they intend to adjust the rear end! Lots of places want to charge for a 4-wheel alignment - I found a local place that did a two wheel alignment for about £30, but they told me it was all in spec (by luck) and didn't charge me anything.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....That's a con if ever I heard of one...the rear axle cannot be "adjusted" in any way which will have any bearing on the front wheel alignment. You call it "teacking"...here it's known as wheel alignment...It's a 10 minute job including setting the machine up they use to do the settings... You guys have some really sharp boys over there.... :evil:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

Sat down at the local dealership and openly challenged them on the £240 tracking charge they offered....

The guy went into his system and from being full of it (we will align all your camber etc), to actually saying, "yes, you are right, there are NO rear axle adjustments...".....he then offered the tracking for £150 (an hours labour)....

Note my other dealer, just a few miles away in Stoke On Trent, without any pressure or mention, when I asked for tracking, they offered £120 OR £60 if having tyres off them...

They actually offered very competitive rates on both Falken and Conti Sport Contacts etc.....
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

fish wrote:he then offered the tracking for £150 (an hours labour)....

That's still way too expensive. I had a 4-wheel alignment on my Subaru (which is adjustable at both ends) for £45.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

I see you are in Sandbach, so you're not that far from Winsford.

Bettley's in Winsford do laser alignment. It was about £45 when they did my Z.

I've used them for years for various cars and they have always been straightforward and honest.
No flash reception, no coffee, but you will be talking to the guy who works on the cars.

Give them a call and ask for Andy (Bettley), Ian or Adam. They'll sort you out.

01606-592336

Gravel Hill Garage
Station Road
Winsford
Cheshire
CW7 3DD

If you want to you can say Mark Smalley recommended, but they'll deal with you straight anyway.

Cheers
Mark
abh29

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by abh29 »

From Sandbach suggest you take a trip over to Demon Tweeks at Wrexham. They were £45 plus rear adjustment if required on my 5 series or just £45 on the Z3. I have never seen a tyre bay as clean and tidy as they keep the area. They use a Hunter rig
Z3 2.2 Sport Silver
X1
abh29

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by abh29 »

They can also be competitive on tyres and wheel alignment deals. Sorry I have no name but phone is 01978 663064 better than the number on the web site (0845 or similar not included on phone deal)
Z3 2.2 Sport Silver
X1
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

£150 for 1 hours labour? I'm in the wrong job. Thought the main BMW dealer here in Spain was bad at 70 odd euros an hour labour! Had wheel alignment done here for 30 euros.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Rafolian wrote:£150 for 1 hours labour?
Who's doing the work, Wayne Rooney ?!?!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

Thanks guys, some good info there…the subjective element in my post was actually getting the dealership that they had it wrong and should anyone be wandering there for a 4 wheel alignment, then yes, you can negotiate them down etc….For old cars, the Stoke dealership discount down to £105 an hour from there usual £150 rate for new cars….

Have done the rebuild myself and use a locak indie for techie stuff, but always good to benchmark with the dealers should they acutally ever offer a good rate….

Ian
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

fish wrote:...".....he then offered the tracking for £150 (an hours labour)....
As far as I am aware that is the standard BMW main dealer hourly rate. I am aware that the actual technicians are not that well paid and most routine serving work gets given to young apprentices. As well as these "hourly labour" rates, the price of the servicing parts is also grossly inflated with engine oil being charged out at something like £20 per litre. I think these extortionate servicing charges (and similar for bodywork) is a possible reason for 2nd hand car values being driven down in the UK.