Will seats from a Z4 fit a Z3?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Will seats from a Z4 fit a Z3?

Post by Mugs »

as above, i am in the process of uprating the interior of my Z3. i just want to know if Z4 seats will fit? i have seen a Z4 steering wheel on a Z3 which is something else i am looking into, is it an easyish swap?
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Will seats from a Z4 fit a Z3?

Post by Zed Carer »

I don't know the answer but will be interested if you can find out. If they do fit it might cause a problem when my wife finds her nice heated sports seat missing from her Z4!!!!!!
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I'm sure Barry will be along shortly to let you know!!!! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

All you need do is check:- width, bolt positions for the base to floor rails, and front to rear depth if you use the same rear bolt positions. You must have space behind the seat for the backrest to be reclinable. The floor bolts aren't a major issue, as you can fit new bolt s and fixings, provided it's done professionally and the result will be a safe seat in the event of an accident. To determine the 4 fixing positions is simple enough, measure them front / back and left / right.
The connectors for the electrics will also need to be changed either at the seat side or the main Z3 wiring loom side...also easy enough. The width of the actual upholstered seat needs checking to confirm enough lateral space in the Z3 cockpit for them to move on the runners once fitted. I somehow suspect the Z4 may be a wider car, and hence the seats may be larger...to fit the USA butt market... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

to fit the USA butt market
:lol:
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

After seeing the sports seats in Zed Carers car I have often wondered if the Z4 seats could be fitted in to the Z3. The Z4 seats are a lot cheaper too.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Some of us have one of each.... and it would be really gracious if they would remove one seat from each car and do a comparative measurement... that's if you're not doing anything else useful on a sunday... :roflmao:

A simple "H" AND "X" measurement of the base mounting point holes, as well as a <-> upholstered seat measurement including any trim which extends beyond the actual upholstered seat as in the doorcard side on the Z3 seats.... :roll:

As an afterthought to my earlier comment about the possibility of fitting / welding new studs etc into the Z3...the alternative of drilling new holes in the Z4 base rail to match the Z3 hole positions should first be investigated...if any changes are needed at all.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i can / will modify the seats if they physically fit.
i was just wondering if anyone has done the mod already before and can offer advice?
if not, i will get hold of one and have a go at it.
(either that or get some z3 sports seats :D )
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

There are basically no other seats that fit, bar a few racing seats, and even they often need the shoulder trimmed. This has been discussed and tried at length on other forums and unless you are after a racing bucket seat, I'd forget it.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

ok, thanks for the info.
it looks like i will be on the lookout for black sports seats then. :D
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Regarding z4 steering wheel, check this post:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=263734