spraying interior

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

spraying interior

Post by Mugs »

hi guys, i need some advice.
i am in the middle of swapping my interior from beige to black. i have swapped over the dash, carpet door panels etc (just on the look out for black seats now) but i am having a problem sourcing the rear panels as i have BMW roll hoops. everyone who has the parts i need in black wants to sell me the whole roll hoop conversion which i obviously don't need.
i have been told the plastics are easy to spray. has anyone sprayed theirs and if so has it been OK and not peeled etc?
or is my best option to sell mine as a roll hoop conversion kit and buy a black kit to replace it?
i also want to replace the BMW hoops with chrome hoops. do the hoops they sell on eBay fir OK?
another thought i have just had.....is it worth replacing the rear plastics for the hoop-less original in black then add the chrome hoops that are joined in the centre and only use the seat belt pillars to mount on?
thanks in advance.
gIzzE

Not specified

Re: spraying interior

Post by gIzzE »

I would consider using Plasticote Matte Black.

It has a texture that matches BMW plastics almost perfectly.
I did a silver gear surround when I retofitted nav in my E91, the idrive controller I bought off eBay came in the surround so thought I would try spraying it, £7.99 was better than £90 for a new one from BMW.

This is how it came out....

Looks pretty oem, even has that slight texture that the oem trim seems to have.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Plastics can be sprayed. You need to de=grease them. ie. they most likely have been treated to some form of plastic polish in their time. Once cleaned, you will need to prime them with a suitable plastic primer. Rustoleum have that in a can....then simply finish in matt black "Plastic / vynil" spray - also available from rustoleum... The cleaning is the single most important aspect, and I would suggest a cleaner such as engine degreaser and a good stiff fine bristled brush to make sure you get into the "texture" of the surface. A good rinse and observe while wet if you see any "suspect" areas, repeat the cleaning...!!! :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

I used a VHT vinyl paint I was recommended on a motorcycle seat, to turn it from a washed out grey original colour to black. It was amazing how good the finish was, and how good it stayed in regular use. There are lots of very good products out there that can save a lot of money, if you have the time and facilities to use them :)
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

Southernboy wrote:Rustoleum have that in a can....then simply finish in matt black "Plastic / vynil" spray - also available from rustoleum...

This was my Meridian F80 unit, originally Ferrari Red, sprayed with Rustoleum in Silver and then again in the matte black....

Very good product, with an excellent spray on it for a really nice finish.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

thanks guys.

I have bought the rustoleum plastic primer but i got a satin black. i have tried it out on a small piece of trim and it's too shiny then I'll just spray over it with matt.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

TBH the "satin black" is too shiny...the matt is perfect....in fact even that has a slight sheen, but it's the right stuff. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

Agreed, satin is the last thing you want.

Get some of their Matte Black or the Plastikote one.

B&Q sell both by the way.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

thanks, i will go for the matt spray then :D