Exhaust Howl

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Exhaust Howl

Post by johnz3 »

Can someone please explain what make the exhaust howl noise that you hear from a car.

As an example before I brought my 3.0i Sport I tried a Boxster S and the exhaust really howled when he accelerated hard.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Exhaust Howl

Post by Mugs »

for a start they are different engines....the porsche has a 6 cylinder boxer so it sounds different but i believe it is mostly down to the exhaust and how it is tuned (silencer / resonator etc).
i do a bit of motorsport and even some of the 1ltr micras in the events have a nice howl and all they have done is fitted an exhaust and filter.
a custom system should get the desired sound.
i'm someone who knows more about the subject will be along soon :wink:
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

My 2.2 manual really does growl and pops on the overrun and it's on a standard exhaust!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I have a stainless steel exhaust on my 2.8 and it gurgles on the overrun and sounds great when it's given a bit of harder driving. So I'd say a combination of 6 Cylinders and a decent exhaust system makes for beautiful music! :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

I spent ages listening to exhaust notes prior to buying my exhaust and my view is it's down to the rear back box, some are made of thin metal and make a tinny sound, mine is a Eisennman exhaust and makes this type of growl !
http://youtu.be/7TzQPyzdhss
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I suspect the OEM Z3 exhausts are built to be conservative and quiet. They are very heavy. Stainless steel exhausts are made from much thinner, lighter material and so more exhaust noise escapes. I have a custom, stainless steel exhaust from Longlife on my 1.9 which was their quietest option but it makes a much more sportier growl than the OEM one. The noise is so different that people have asked me what engine the car has in it and whether any modifications have been made :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.......... you want to hear a howl.... give it horns mate !!.... and if you have a Simota air intake fitted, it will add a seriously throaty roar to the symphony... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

The OEM exhaust on my 2.2 sport appears to be stainless, it is not magnetic, is nice and shiny and like Pedro20001's 2.2 it makes a lovely sound and pops on over run.

Not sure if this was something that they put on the sport models as standard as it is not listed in the extras on the vin decoder web site.

I can't wait til tomorrow when my tax starts and I can drive it again and make those lovely noises from that smoooooth 6cyls.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

What is so good about an exhaust which pops on the overrun? It is usually a sign of an exhaust leak!

Popping? Howling? Gurgling? Some people have very odd ideas about pleasant exhaust notes . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:What is so good about an exhaust which pops on the overrun? It is usually a sign of an exhaust leak!

Popping? Howling? Gurgling? Some people have very odd ideas about pleasant exhaust notes . . .
Different people like different things.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Absolutely right bladerunner! :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Pop on kitty ................. :wink:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

Sorry, didn't really answer the original question.

There are many factors that make up the different sounds between cars. For instance taking a six cyl engine you can combine them straight into one pipe with a log style exhaust manifold or you can combine it into two lots of three cylinders or three lots of two cylinders. You can vary the lengths before they combine which tunes the pulses to help scavenging the exhaust from the other cylinders. You then have the choice of running a single pipe from front to back which I believe is what is done on the earlier zeds or you keep two separate pipes with three cylinders into each and then just pass them through the same rear box as done on the 2.2 and 3.0 I believe.

That is before you consider the size of each silencer or the effect of different cam timings.
As you can see there is a lot that can be changed and will give different sounds.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Keep popping baby............. :D
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White