New Owner 3 questions so far

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New Owner 3 questions so far

Post by saturdaygig »

Hi
My girlfriend and I just bought a 2002 Z3 2.2 in silver with black interior, with a plan to drive it to Rome in the summer. I've been fiddling, and three questions so far:

First, I fitted a smart kenwood MP3 head unit that looks and sounds great, so I took out the CD auto changer. It's left an hole in the rear boot carpet, and a bulge which is designed to hide the braket. Is it possible to get boot carpets without the bulge - ie not intended to fit an autochanger? It's a waste of good boot space.

Second, we bought red seat and console on ebay (supposedly from an 02 car) to snazz up the inside. I'm aware it's not everyones taste :-) Anyway, turns out the connector on the replacement seat is like this:
but the car has one like this

Is there any hope?

lastly, since i had the seats in and out, the airbag light is one. Probably because I turned on the igition with the seats out. What's the cheapest way to re-set it?

On the plus side, sunny weekend, great fun driving.
Mike123

M roadster S50

CD Changer Hump Removal

Post by Mike123 »

Welcome!

Here's the link you need.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10660
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: New Owner 3 questions so far

Post by saturdaygig »

One down, thanks. A trip to the bmw dealer is in order then.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi and welcome! Go on the knowledge base, there's been a recent discussion about the airbag light being on through seat removal. Rome is a brave first run, be a brilliant experience. Enjoy! :drive

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi and welcome.

Quite a few members have had a mixture of electrical seat connections and hopefully one of them will be around shortly - it can be sorted.

As far as the airbag light is concerned there are quite a few members who have a reset tool so if you post a general location there may be someone nearby who can reset it.

As far as the hump in the boot is concerned the alternative to buying new parts is to use a stanley knife to allow parts of the hump to be pushed back flat - you would be left with a small patch that can be covered with a grey carpet tile.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

for reset check out the members with diagnostic map 8-)
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

Thanks everyone. Cutting the carpet and pushing it back is certainly a good work around. I'll try it.

I had a look round the site and I haven't spotted the diagnostic map. You have a link? I'm in Chorlton, south manchester.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

saturdaygig wrote:Thanks everyone.
I had a look round the site and I haven't spotted the diagnostic map. You have a link? I'm in Chorlton, south manchester.
You can find the list of members with diagnostic kit HERE it looks as if Robert T might be quite close to you.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

if not i have one in stalybridge
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

You can buy a reset tool on e bay for less than 20 quid. ( handy to have for seat/steering wheel removal in future)
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Ref the seat connection plugs. I had the same but had 2002 seats in a 1998 car so had the yellow connector on the seat side.
I used the connectors from my old seats to replace the yellow connectors.

I would think the easiest for you is to get connectors from the a pre facelift car (breakers or someone on here who I breaking a car). Insert the wires on the car side into the old style connectors or if you get connectors with the wires still attached jut cut and join wires.

I found it easier to use the old style connectors compared with the new style. The old style has thicker more robust pins whereas the new yellow one has tiny pins and not easy to get out of the housing.

Just realized there is an easier solutions- you must have you original seats still so simply cut the yellow connectors of with the wires and the join the wires to your new seats and plug in.

I can confirm airbag reset is easy and cheap with tool from eBay (I bought a basic one for around £10.00 to that job).