Oil leak around bottom front of engine and powersteering

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Oil leak around bottom front of engine and powersteering

Post by Keynun »

Hi,

I noticed that there was an oil leak from the bottom of the engine at the front (around the front crank or timing case?)

Is this usual for the M52 engine? I noticed oil around what I presume to be the timing case gaskets? But there seems to be a little oil around the top of the case too from the engine bay. Does anyone have a writeup on how to DIY? otherwise I may have to give it in to a garage.

Also, the powersteering pump was covered in oil. Not much, but easily noticed. The rubber pipe seems to be the culprit since its also oiled up (I changed the high pressure pipe last year). Is it possible just to stick a jubilee clip above the original clip?
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Oil leak around bottom front of engine and powersteering

Post by Jonco »

If it has been leaking for awhile then the distribution path can be quite wide. If there is nothing obvious then first step should be to clean it all down and then monitor closely for any fresh oil path.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Oil leak around bottom front of engine and powersteering

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Try cleaning off the oil with Jizer - then you can see where the oil is coming fm.

I would guess that the power steering suction hose from the reservoir may be leaking - mine was dripping onto the floor, due to the crimped clip not being much good. I cut the clip off, and fitted a small Jubilee clip, which has never gievn any problems, and also makes it easy to drain the PAS for oil changes.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!