Flashing E on code reader

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Flashing E on code reader

Post by Koolflyer »

If the code reader flashes E, there must be an error, I assume. Could it be a PIN19 error, but not quite sure what is PIN19. Because of this we can't reset the airbag light. Off down to pub to discuss over a beer or two with RockyDave....fancy joining us :cheers, or at least give us a clue. Cheers
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Flashing E on code reader

Post by pingu »

http://www.porterbility.co.uk/Files/PDF/e36z3_01.pdf

The pin layout for the data link is on p.82
Pingu
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Ta Gary for your help yesterday, and will check P82 out
Pete :rtm:
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

Also, turn the ignition to pos2 and then plug the reader in, or was it plug it in and then turn to position 2?

Try both ways, only one way works on my car. There was small print in the booklet explaining this was often the case.
fenman67

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by fenman67 »

Koolflyer wrote:If the code reader flashes E, there must be an error, I assume. Could it be a PIN19 error, but not quite sure what is PIN19. Because of this we can't reset the airbag light. Off down to pub to discuss over a beer or two with RockyDave....fancy joining us :cheers, or at least give us a clue. Cheers
what code reader are you using
1998 z3 Artic sliver Imola red 1.9 reg S100 C--
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

fenman67 wrote:
Koolflyer wrote:If the code reader flashes E, there must be an error, I assume. Could it be a PIN19 error, but not quite sure what is PIN19. Because of this we can't reset the airbag light. Off down to pub to discuss over a beer or two with RockyDave....fancy joining us :cheers, or at least give us a clue. Cheers
what code reader are you using
It was a B800. We tried swapping the order of IGN / PLUG-IN to no avail. The car has both an OBD-2 and 20-pin diagnostics socket. We tried every scenario, but nothing worked. My only suggestion (failing an obvious loose wire) is to try INPA just to see if the car has good comms.
Pingu
RockyDave

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by RockyDave »

Sorted! :D
Well, after almost a month have finally found out why my car was throwing an E10 error.
Thanks to Pingu for coming across and starting me out on this journey.
Interestingly, in the manual for the code reader it pointed us in the direction of pin19 not being earthed but when we checked this all was OK but we still got the error message when we connected the code reader.
Fast forward to today when the car was booked into Barry Deadman in Leicester to have the air con / alternator belts changed - he said he would also try and diagnose the problem with the airbag light. I have to admit I wasn't holding out too many hopes :roll:
On collecting the car, all was sorted :) The reason the car was throwing the E10 error was apparently because the airbag fuse was blown, once the fuse was replaced the codes were able to be read (passenger seat sensor fault) and then reset - so far so good no airbag light and even better the sun was shining so it was top down for the drive home :D
Image Image
2002 Z3 2.2i Sport Roadster Titanium Silver
2008 E61 520d Deep Sea Blue
1955 R25/3 motorcycle
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

Doesn't it feel nice when you get something like that sorted!! Nice one.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

I second that, and working as it should :thumb:
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

Are you guys using the code readers with an OBDII to the round connection adaptor?

I've started looking at code readers, one for VAG and one for ALL BMW stuff apparently but when I try to use it with the little adapter, it won't connect to the car. Maybe I need to dig deeper and buy a better one??? Last one was only £30 off Amazon.

Just seen this one I'm looking at has the cable for the round connector, any good?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunson-77083-Re ... automotive
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

My car will only access the engine via the 16pin OBD2 socket under the dash, connects to all using the round pacman socket under the bonnet.

I would recommend the following kit via ebay so you can run it on a laptop, and the B800 for the airbags.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Diagnosti ... 2590bd0b06

B800
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Diagnosti ... 3ce425d528

Alternative set up for engine is a ELM327 Interface and use Dash Command App on an Ipad or Iphone see my previous post on this.
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=40708

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

But depends on the year, until mid 1998 the round connector was not OBD, it needs an ADS interface and a computer with a serial connection.
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

My car was built Nov98, Register early 1999. Does that mean my round connector is OBD? I don't have the OBDII under the dash. :-(

Look at both links now, cheers.
Baz
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

If there is no OBDII port on your car I would suspect it will need an ADS adapter.

Mine does.

That round port is a funny port, even when trying to reset the service lights on mine I had issues. In the end I had to solder a bulb onto the jumper cable to change the resistance, then worked no problem.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I believe the changeover to the newer electronics was around Sept '98. This is when the alarm with the buttons on the key came in, along with an updated instrument cluster. My car is Jan '99 built and I can use an OBDII cable (with adapter for the 19-pin underbonnet connector) to access pretty much everthing - note that my case does NOT have an OBDII connector under the dash.

If your instrument cluster is the later 19-test type, then I would expect OBDII to work. See http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=20201

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc