Idiots guide to putting Z on blocks needed!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Idiots guide to putting Z on blocks needed!

Post by Warrior »

I know there's a couple of threads about raising a car to work underneath but I don't have a clue which bits which?

So, with all 4 wheels due to come off for a full refurbishment and set of new shoes this coming weekend I'm looking for a PIC or diagram with big arrows saying put block or axle stands here and here!

Help!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Idiots guide to putting Z on blocks needed!

Post by Brian H »

Not much of a description but you get the idea, the axle stands are placed under the jacking points.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 22#p249822

Image courtesy of Titan :wink:
Caledonian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Caledonian »

I had to remove all four wheels for a refurb and powder coat a couple of months ago. I used the following method to get the wheels off as I only had 2 axle stands.
NOTE Remember to break the wheel bolt torque on the ground !

1) Replace one rear wheel with spare wheel
2) Lift front of car with a trolley jack on crossmember (I use a piece of wood to spread the load across the crossmember and provide a flat face. The cup of the trolley jack sort of embeds in the wood)
3) Place axle stands under front jack points and lower car gently onto stands by releasing pressure in jack
4) Jack up to remove remaining rear wheel. (I used the cars own jack, always been nervous of putting trolley jack pad on jack points)
5) I then left car jack in place at the rear, a second scissor jack underneath and some wood, all as precautions.

My car was in a garage with no chance of getting disturbed so it worked fine for me

Cheers

Marc

PS There's some pictures of the crossmember in this E36 DIY

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/tools/ ... r_car.html
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Thanks all...

Think a combination of both suggestions may work for me.

I can accquire a pair of axle stands from my brother and he doesn't know it yet but i'm going to nick his Zed spare as well. With mine it should do the trick! :D
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

Warrior wrote: I can accquire a pair of axle stands from my brother and he doesn't know it yet but i'm going to nick his Zed spare as well. With mine it should do the trick! :D
I do now :lol: :roll: