Poorly Z thoughts???

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Poorly Z thoughts???

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Well after 4 yrs of ownership my Z has never missed a beat, until yesterday :( (maybe its picked up on my admiring glances towards a certain S54)
I went to nip out and it was lumpy on the idle and had no power on acceleration :bawl: so I returned her home. I started it again yesterday afternoon and it seemed a bit better. When you pressed the accelerator though the revs would momentarily drop before picking up. Tonight it was worse and wouldn't really idle and eventually stalled. In the last few weeks it's had the eisenmann back box fitted and a simota induction kit to replace the carbon fibre one I had on originally could this of affected anything???
Any thoughts greatly appreciated :rtm:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Poorly Z thoughts???

Post by Southernboy »

The thought of you fitting the Simota suggests you have a leak in the intake somewhere... sounds like the tubing on the throttle side of the MAF... check the connections...and for any split or broken rubber parts... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Southernboy wrote:The thought of you fitting the Simota suggests you have a leak in the intake somewhere... sounds like the tubing on the throttle side of the MAF... check the connections...and for any split or broken rubber parts... :wink:
Thanks for the reply
So I've got the simota connected with a new hose jubilee clipped to the maf, so your saying I need to look at the piping after the maf?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

... I know that from having fitted a simota to my '97 2.8, the connection to the MAF was always under some strain because of the angles.... Also, shortly after I fitted it, I had an issue with idling, and discovered that the ribbed rubber hose from the MAF to the throttle (the one with the bend in it) had developed a split... It was difficult to see without dismanling and removal, but there it was.... It was an old part..came with the car 10 years earlier... so probably split because of the added strain once I fitted the simota...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Yes, check after the Maf for air leaks, rule that out first before replacing the Maf as they are quite expensive, if you have to change it go for OEM don't waste money on pattern cheap parts they either don't work properly or not at all in my experience.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Just had a look in the fading light and your diagnosis appears to be spot on 8-) It does look like the tighter angle has caused the issue so when you open the folds there is a split in the pipe you said. So that will be my first port of call.
Thanks Barry
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

colb wrote:Yes, check after the Maf for air leaks, rule that out first before replacing the Maf as they are quite expensive, if you have to change it go for OEM don't waste money on pattern cheap parts they either don't work properly or not at all in my experience.

Colb

Thanks will do
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Does the pipe on top of the rubber boot just pull out?