Cracked front suspension spring

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cracked front suspension spring

Post by eyerisk »

Hi,

MOT failure for a cracked front spring however the garage think the coil is a lowered version and I am after some assistance to identify the correct part??

Attached pics showing the spring and strut.... Any advice would be appreciated from members?

Code from actual shock strut is Sachs 115 690

Cheers

Ian
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Cracked front suspension spring

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Looks like the usual cheap rubbish which comes in many lowering kits - bin the lot, and fit either BMW M-Tech of Eibach springs.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

If they are aftermarket springs you are going to struggle to find an exact replacement unless they have a convenient maker’s name and item code number on them. Even measuring the height of the spring when off the car will not help with a replacement as in my experience, because of the way they are made, lowered springs can be say 60mm shorter than the standard spring off the car but when fitted and under load only 30mm.

Whilst not generally a fan of lowering springs, I have helped fit a set of Eibach Pro-kit on another car and I was impressed with the slight, subtle drop in height and ride quality. This particular Eibach kit for all 4 springs can be bought at competitive prices (I found dealers prepared to haggle a bit) and can also be fitted with standard length shock absorbers thus avoiding extra expense.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I have a couple of M-Tech front springs surpless to requirements, in need of a bit of paint but not cracked. If you are interested send me a PM.

Cheers

Brian
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

They could be GMax or Apex, I think they tend to be red.
I can certainly recommend the Eibachs but they are not particularly cheap,
I have never had any springs crack other than genuine BMW ones, and have had them crack on Zed 3's and 4's.
I always replace with aftermarket, but then I dont mind the car being lower.
I think the state of our roads have a big impact on them nowadays (pun not intended)

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

Brian h I am interested but cannot send you a PM for some reason?