Door card edging problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Door card edging problem

Post by Z3 Mark »

As highlighted by the yellow arrows it's possible to see the top of the leather from the door cards along the top.

What's the cause of this and what's the solution? the golf club piece of plastic highlighted in blue seems like it's not correctly in place perhaps, :dunce: no bloody clue. It's like this on both doors.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Door card edging problem

Post by BonBon »

It seems like the rivets behind the hockey stick have popped.
My guess is that the leather in the card was replaced and they used a poor adhesive rather than replacing the rivets with screws.
To fully investigate you need to remove the card and look at the rivets from the back. The shortcut is to try and glue the hockey stick in place with a good black adhesive along the upper edge - but hard to do it when it's on the door.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.....Ditto...BonBon has just been through this excercise on his door cards..as have I... The "golf stick" is held in position by several studs (plastic) which originally were part of them and which pass through pre-drilled holes in the actual card material of the door cards... they were then simply melted to form a riveted fix. If the leather has been replaced, someone will have removed the melted heads of those riveted studs... Their re-fixing is difficult as they will now be too short or broken off from the "golf sticks"... the solution Bon Bon has suggested is to use small self tapping screws and small washers at the back in conjunction with some epoxy glue... the screws and washers to be screwed into the now short studs after sorting the leather out with glue etc to be hidden behind that trim... Perhaps BonBon has some photographs which will illustrate the behind the door card scene... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Thanks, looks like when I get some time I'll have to get the door cards off... another job for the growing list :head: :lol:
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

There are some pics on the recent threat on upholstery - but in my case i found many studs that were sheared at the base - so there was no possibility to use screws......Super7 RTV worked for me.
Also note that i did not remove the hockey stick as i knew the studs would not be able to be revived. Too late for you.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

... just to add, the leather actually has pre-cut holes which originally hooked over those studs as a means of keeping it in position... Perhaps the answer is to make use of a decent auto trimmer to correct and restore the doorcards ??
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions