Door pull broken

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Door pull broken

Post by 100GRA »

Three years ago the passenger side interior door pull, where the upper end screws into the inner door (the screw behind the blank plate which corresponds to the door mirror switch on the driver's side), broke away from the door when the plastic bracket surrounding the screw hole failed. One wonders why this was made of plastic in the first place, but that's another story.

Cooper Malton did a very good repair job with glue, and this has held until last week when the handle pulled away from the door again. I have managed to re-glue the plastic myself, using Araldite, and although it is holding I feel this must be regarded as a temporary measure and I would like to get Cooper Malton to remove the interior door panel, fit a new door pull and replace the panel. Simple, I would have thought, and around half an hour's labour (which they have confirmed).

However, they tell me that this can only be done by replacing the entire door panel and pull together, at a cost for the parts of more than £500 plus VAT.

Has anybody else had this experience? Are they taking the mickey, or is this the only way to effect a completely permanent repair?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Door pull broken

Post by bertiejaffa »

Im not sure which bits you mean - someone will be along shortly to confirm however...

£500 !!!!! you can buy a whole car for that; transplant the door, have it sprayed and sell the rest for a profit !!

I suggest you need a very different garage
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Sounds like a bad joke.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Maybe your best bet is to source a used door panel, Zeds are being broken for spares more and more these days so getting one to match should not be a problem.
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

Got a spare passenger door if you want it. Complete with glass and mechs. Looks messy but could be of use. £30 if collected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Even if you find a replacement handle - make sure you enforce it with epoxy internally before you install as the plastic is aging and may crack upon first use.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... phone around the breakers... just get a complete doorcard...they're cheap enough to avoid all the hassle of transplanting etc etc... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

Something of a development. Cooper Malton told me categorically that the door pull was not available as a separate item, and that I would have to order the complete inner door.

However, after trawling the web, I found the individual part number 51418398733 was available online at a cost of £85.03 from - would you believe? - cooper-bmw-parts.co.uk !!! Cooper Malton have now ordered this for me, and I shall be taking the car in to have the handle fitted a.s.a.p.
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

£85 is still somewhat excessive IMO!

Did you get my PM, I'd be happy for you to take one of the ones I have off of me...
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

Thanks for the offer David, but I've told Cooper Malton to order it for me.