Standard or Super unleaded?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
gIzzE

Not specified

Re: Standard or Super unleaded?

Post by gIzzE »

You should see the diesels that do loyts of sub 15 mile journeys if you think the petrols are bad!!!

Blocked EGR valve on a diesel....

All that crud is being pushed back into the manifold, nice!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The same applies to all engines - slogging around town is about the worst treatment an engine can be given, and is one of the reasons why few M3s etc make anywhere near their fabled 321 bhp on a rolling road. A good thrash every few days should be basic maintenance!

Likewise, sticking to the dictate of the SI lights may be OK (and that is a big 'may') for engines which are used properly, but if that driving is mainly at low speeds in stop/start traffic the oil should be changed at greater frequency.

That choked EGR valve (actually the inlet manifold after the valve has been removed) was probably from a car with a bookfull of service stamps, where these things are officially neglected until the poor car will hardly move - then the dealer sells a new manifold for about £500. I used to remove the manifold on our Golf TDI every 50,000 miles or so and clean it out - but have never seen it anywhere near as bad. Last time I disconnected the EGR valve's operating vacuum pipe, and it still passes its French MoT with flying colours, even after almost 200,000 miles.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

I have just decatted my diesel Merc ML, disabled the EGR and I am going to black off the swirl flaps in the manifold next week (horrid job!).

Just with the EGR disabled and the cats removed the difference in how it drives is pretty impressive.

I should then have a car that has had all the things that cause issues sorted, with regular filter and oil changes every 8000 miles it should go for a very long time.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Mike Fishwick wrote:As it states in the Owner's Handbook (which of course no-one ever reads!)
Mines in Japenese :(
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

I have just started keeping data on fuel consumption comparisons using 98. Standard here is 91, then 95, then 98 as top shelf stuff.
I shall post updates from time to time. I tried to upload a small screen capture but it wont allow me :(
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Cooper01 wrote:I tried to upload a small screen capture but it wont allow me :(
Read this: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7658
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
Cooper01 wrote:I tried to upload a small screen capture but it wont allow me :(
Read this: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7658
Thanks.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi again to you all. Well after the first fill and necked ( 35.10 litres of Shell V Max) I covered 237.1 miles and filled again before hitting the motorway for home from Oldham,Lancashire. This time it was Tesco Super Unleaded and the tank took 38.01 litres to necked.
That equates to 28.36mpg on the V Max/regular unleaded mix. I think that was a resounding result and with an auto considering that most of the 237.1 miles was not even on motorway and mainly urban driving with a little dual carriageway thrown-in.
I will keep you posted of further results - good,bad or otherwise.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

I have owned my 2.2 for a little over 3years taking the mileage up from 34k to 62k and have used both regular and super unleaded with little noticeable difference. However after reading this thread I am only using BP super and in the last week I am noticing smoother running and slightly more midrange power. Also the range seems to have improved offsetting the 10p per litre cost difference. Will stick to super from now on!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

pedro20001 wrote:I have owned my 2.2 for a little over 3years taking the mileage up from 34k to 62k and have used both regular and super unleaded with little noticeable difference. However after reading this thread I am only using BP super and in the last week I am noticing smoother running and slightly more midrange power. Also the range seems to have improved offsetting the 10p per litre cost difference. Will stick to super from now on!
Hi pedro. On the basis of my own recent experience with the Z3 I am inclined to carry on using the V Max and Super Unleaded from Esso. The difference here in the Northwest is currently 5p/litre.
One of the things that I have noticed in the last few years is the reliance upon the On-board Computers and I am also finding that there are many people cannot calculate fuel consumption just like the many that cannot cope with using regular maps and route finder A-Z's.
The OBC's are designed to give the perfect but unrealistic figures that the manufacturers want you to believe. They will give Average mpg figures based upon the very latest computation during driving as the 'Instant' mpg figure also gives.
There is a huge difference between actual filled to the brim and calculated figures and OBC figures.
I use the industry calculation of 4.5461 litres per gallon and have done-so for the last 50+yrs.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

I agree, in my experience ( I work for toyota test driving new cars and prototype vehicles and see what the vehicles show on a dyno under laboratory conditions and then in the real world as I drive them on a test track and on the open roads) that my findings are that trip computers are typically approx 10% too generous. Try getting 73 mpg out of a hybrid... 60 mpg is more realistic! I will be sticking to super unleaded, the onlt question is which brand is the best?
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

pedro20001 wrote:I agree, in my experience ( I work for toyota test driving new cars and prototype vehicles and see what the vehicles show on a dyno under laboratory conditions and then in the real world as I drive them on a test track and on the open roads) that my findings are that trip computers are typically approx 10% too generous. Try getting 73 mpg out of a hybrid... 60 mpg is more realistic! I will be sticking to super unleaded, the onlt question is which brand is the best?
Hi pedro. My Volvo V70's all 7 of them over the last 10yrs have recorded figures that were as wild apart from reality as 17.5% to 22%. My current one a 163bhp D5 SE Geartronic is the most accurate with only a 15% over optimistic reading.
My Z3 is old school but it did not come with the pencil and note-pad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

My Z3 recorded 35.8mpg from the last tank, from brimming I calculated just over 35.

You do realise you can calibrate the OBC to get perfect MPG readings?

I normally find the OBC is out about the same percentage as the speedo, speedo under reads by about 5% and the obc says I am getting about 5% more than I really am.

Audi are terrible, Mercedes and BMW diesels are well out but their petrols seem pretty spot on.
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

that's interesting about the volvo's; my father has just purchased a new xc90 diesel and the book figures seem a bit optimistic! my zed seems to average 30-31 with approx 75% motorway and 25% town so not too bad!!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to you all again that are following this topic. As suggested on 30th May I am returning with my findings having used a combination of the Esso SuperUnleaded and the Shell VMax with one fill at a Sainsbury station in Ipswich.
I have had a very wide mix of mileage/usage with the Z3 since the first 35.1 litre fill to brimming with VMax.
The first return was a disappointing 24.09mpg then a 26.73mpg then the next fill to brimming was a 28.47mpg and then another drop to 26.73.
The exercise averaged out at 26.43mpg which against my first 620+ miles at 27mpg was a little disappointing and especially being that it was with the SuperUnleaded.
The on Friday late evening I filled again to brimming for a trip to Ipswich using the M58/M6/A50/M1/A14 and most of the way at circa 70mph,that produced 32.40mpg and then I filled again to brimming with Sainsbury SuperUnleaded and the return journey with my new hardtop fitted resulted in 32.27mpg after filling to the brim again next morning.
That exercise returned an average of 28.79mpg but was bolstered by the 516miles round trip to Ipswich and back.

Since running on the SuperUnleaded fuel I have noticed that the car runs faster on tick-over immediately after firing up and seems to take a little longer for the revs to drop to a less hurried pace.
I have also detected a slight hesitation upon pulling away from having just fired up and letting the revs drop down.

All of the figures have been recorded driving the car in economy mode. I am intending carrying out the next 1000 miles or so in sport mode and still using SuperUnleaded fuel. I might then cover another thousand miles back on Regular Unleaded and still in Sport Mode. I will keep you posted in due course.
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Hi to you all again that are following this topic. As suggested on 30th May I am returning with my findings having used a combination of the Esso SuperUnleaded and the Shell VMax with one fill at a Sainsbury station in Ipswich.
I have had a very wide mix of mileage/usage with the Z3 since the first 35.1 litre fill to brimming with VMax.
The first return was a disappointing 24.09mpg then a 26.73mpg then the next fill to brimming was a 28.47mpg and then another drop to 26.73.
The exercise averaged out at 26.43mpg which against my first 620+ miles at 27mpg was a little disappointing and especially being that it was with the SuperUnleaded.
The on Friday late evening I filled again to brimming for a trip to Ipswich using the M58/M6/A50/M1/A14 and most of the way at circa 70mph,that produced 32.40mpg and then I filled again to brimming with Sainsbury SuperUnleaded and the return journey with my new hardtop fitted resulted in 32.27mpg after filling to the brim again next morning.
That exercise returned an average of 28.79mpg but was bolstered by the 516miles round trip to Ipswich and back.

Since running on the SuperUnleaded fuel I have noticed that the car runs faster on tick-over immediately after firing up and seems to take a little longer for the revs to drop to a less hurried pace.
I have also detected a slight hesitation upon pulling away from having just fired up and letting the revs drop down.

All of the figures have been recorded driving the car in economy mode. I am intending carrying out the next 1000 miles or so in sport mode and still using SuperUnleaded fuel. I might then cover another thousand miles back on Regular Unleaded and still in Sport Mode. I will keep you posted in due course.

Those are some interesting results, thank you for taking the time to note them and share them.
I'll be looking forward to seeing the next set of results...
So, the conclusion drawn based on Test #1 is drive fast! Image

I wonder if we will be able to genuinely conclude something when all tests/experiments have been done, It would be nice to think so.
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

What awful fuel consumption! Are these mpg figures taken from the trip computer, or are they calculated accurately?

It would make more sense to give a calculated consumption reading for each tankful, or better still a few tankfuls, on each type of fuel.

I wonder if this is really showing up a problme in the car, such as a binding brake?

What engine do you have?
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

sirius-c wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Hi to you all again that are following this topic. As suggested on 30th May I am returning with my findings having used a combination of the Esso SuperUnleaded and the Shell VMax with one fill at a Sainsbury station in Ipswich.

Those are some interesting results, thank you for taking the time to note them and share them.
I'll be looking forward to seeing the next set of results...
So, the conclusion drawn based on Test #1 is drive fast! Image

I wonder if we will be able to genuinely conclude something when all tests/experiments have been done, It would be nice to think so.
Hi sirius. I would actually conclude based on past experience (9yrs) with a 1997 Volvo V70 T5 CD Auto and 7yrs with a 1997 Rover 825i Sterling Auto that driving at 56 - 60mph is optimum speed and maximises fuel. I can also say that driving in Sport Mode permanently with both cars meant less effort to get to cruising speed and in real terms that was beneficial in not 'hanging on' in the various ratios.
If my trip to Ipswich had been carried out at a steady 56-60mph I would have returned better than what I got.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Mike Fishwick wrote:What awful fuel consumption! Are these mpg figures taken from the trip computer, or are they calculated accurately?

It would make more sense to give a calculated consumption reading for each tankful, or better still a few tankfuls, on each type of fuel.

I wonder if this is really showing up a problme in the car, such as a binding brake?

What engine do you have?
Hi Mike. I wouldn't actually call these figures awful but I would agree that they could perhaps have been better.
My car does not have a trip computer and the figures are calculated correctly as per my post on 30th May 2014 @00:05
I have also given some tank by tank figures but not of all of the and especially as I have been conducting the exercise with two different grades of fuel and from 3 different sources and if you count the regular unleaded fuel fill-ups then that increases the suppliers to 6 different points of fill-up.
Here it goes then :- All were to brimming and on flat ground and starting with a full tank just after buying the car on the 8th May 2014.
1st refill) 16.54ltrs ... 27.64mpg ... Regular Unleaded.
2nd refill) 22.69ltrs ...29.69mpg ... Regular Unleaded.
3rd refill) 16.44ltrs ... 27.00mpg ... Regular Unleaded.
4th refill) 24.07ltrs ... 27.79mpg ... Regular Unleaded.
5th refill) 35.01ltrs ... 24.09mpg ... 1st on VMax/Super Unleaded.
6th refill) 38.01ltrs ... 28.47mpg ... 2nd on Super Unleaded Tesco Momentum99.
7th refill) 18.37ltrs ... 26.73mpg ... 3rd on Super Unleaded Esso. (filled for run to Ipswich).
8th refill) 39.01ltrs ... 32.40mpg ... 4th on Super Unleaded Sainsbury (Ipswich for run back home).
9th refill) 40.01ltrs ... 32.27mpg ... 5th refill VMax Haydock Island (day after the Ipswich run).

The car as previously stated is a 2000 (W) 05/05/2000 Z3 2.0ltr Auto,it is a facelift model. It currently has 65,124 miles on the clock.
I have covered some 1,648 miles since taking ownership on 8th May 2014. I started with fuel in the tank but disregarded that and started my calculations from my first fill to brimming at 63,581.

If you look at the figures for the 5 fill-ups on Regular Unleaded you will see that it averages at 27.24mpg

If you look at the figures for the 4 fill-ups on Super Unleaded you will see that it averages at 29.97 despite the nearly 516 miles at motorway speeds+.
With the exception of the 516miles round trip to Ipswich the car gets a fairly broad mix of driving but mainly on non motorway routes and a fair number of rural routes/lanes.

On balance and on averages the extra cost of the Super Unleaded fuel (variable between 5p & 8p per litre) it would appear to balance out.

Mike,with respect I would have thought the your opening statement would not have been "What awful fuel consumption!" and especially not knowing the facts and figures and typical usage that brought about those figures.
In conclusion, what sought of figures would you expect and achieve with the same car specification and especially as it is the older style auto box and not the later triptronic gearbox?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Ah - that explains a lot - you did not tell us that you had an auto box 2 litre, which will not be as good on fuel as, for example, a manual 2.8. I had assumed that your 'Economy' mode was in your head!

I have recently returned from a trip to the UK, and with a lot of motorway driving over a 2500 mile trip from the Dordogne I averaged a little over 33 mpg by calculation, adjusting my trip computer to get within 1 mpg of the true figure - more or less. Even using a constant trip computer calibration value, giving a known error (which is therefore constant) on the trip computer, and filling to the neck when refuelling, I have repeatedly found quite noticable variations between the calculated and computer fuel consumption figures over 250 miles in the same type of driving. I would have expected the difference between the calculated and computer mpg figures to be fairly consistant.

This difference can only mean that the amount of fuel shown on the pump has a considerable variation - and always in favour of the oil companies! I was once told that the weights and measures tolerance for petrol pumps was up to 10%, which would help explain this discrepancy, as would differing proportions of ethanol in the fuel. Remember that so long as there is at least 5% of ethanol the government are happy, and do not care if it is more - we just have to buy more fuel, and so pay them more tax.

This also suggest one reason why I always get better fuel consumption in France, except when using V-Power, when mpg falls immediately, by about 4 - 5mpg, even in France. Out here there are very few 'real' petrol stations except on the autoroutes, so we normally use unbranded 98 octane supermarket fuel, which is at least as good as the best UK 97 octane.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi again Mike. Actually if you go back to 30th May @ 00:05 you will see that I actually did declare what my Z3 was about as I believe that I did on the 'Introduce Yourself' section of the forum.
My understanding of the UK Weights & Measures Dept was that they were working to far finer tolerances than 10%,as far as the Ethanol content is concerned that is a figure that really only the fuel refineries can/will confirm or deny.
The truth of the matter is a far more variable figure than most people even care to question and of course that is so much dependable upon local conditions both driving and the weather.
I am about to trial the Sport Mode position from the next top-up/fill to brimming,I also intend at least for the present to stick with Super Unleaded whether it be VMax or simply Super Unleaded from wherever it is at the time that I fill up again.
Because of where I live it is very much down to fuel from one of three locations and it must be purchased at the last opportunity at going home or the first opportunity going out the following time.
If my Z3 is anything like my much loved but now gone - 205,000miles 1997 Volvo V70 T5 CD Auto it will give the best and most consistent results in Sport Mode but on Super Unleaded fuel.
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

Pump accuracy at forecourt has to be -0.5 to +1%.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandar ... tation.htm
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

personally I would be very happy with that mpg ;) having once had a trip which averaged 14mpg :D
I haven't been scientific about it, but instead of resetting the computer average for each tank I have left it running and it seems to be gradually trending upwards - helped no doubt by a 600 mile trip this weekend... unfortunately I do a lot of small trips, so generally mpg is not all that impressive - but running on vmax does seem to be making a difference...

Alasdair
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

akirk wrote:personally I would be very happy with that mpg ;) having once had a trip which averaged 14mpg :D
I haven't been scientific about it, but instead of resetting the computer average for each tank I have left it running and it seems to be gradually trending upwards - helped no doubt by a 600 mile trip this weekend... unfortunately I do a lot of small trips, so generally mpg is not all that impressive - but running on vmax does seem to be making a difference...

Alasdair
Hi Alasdiar. I assume that the 14mpg was in Z3 2.8 or 3litre model. The only time that I ever saw figures lower than that was back in the very early 90's when I had a 2.8 Ford Granada GhiaX Auto Estate and had fallen foul to really heavy snow just outside of Callander in Scotland. I was towing an 8x4 boxed trailer loaded with furniture for a client back to my workshop in West Lancashire. The on-board computer was certainly not accurate and was showing an optimistic 16mpg but a physical calculation produce an horrendous 10mpg. I certainly bought shares in the petrol-chemical industry that weekend.

The one thing about OBC's and the average reading is that it is constantly calculating and the figure that is presented just before switching off the ignition can be a very deceptive one,I have seen the figures in my Volvo V70 D5 SE Geartronic fluctuate by as much as 2 & 3mpg average whilst sitting ticking over in traffic queues on the motorways.
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

2001 3.0l
and lots of fun...
not sure how accurate the computer is - but it certainly used a lot of petrol over a few miles on that occasion!

mind you I did once get 4mpg on a trip in a RR classic (5l v8) towing two large horses!

Alasdair
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Happy with my mpg z4 3.0 Auto. Averages about 30mpg.
However just changed the disa valve an went down to weston super mare last weekend 440 mls .300 ml motorway at 73-80 mph and the rest country driving av 34 mpg .all on morrisons standard 4*.
M

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk