Wheel wound

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Wheel wound

Post by John Wilson »

Nasty gouge in one of my wheels after parking in John Lewis carpark in Norwich. I've shown how I dealt with this problem in a previous post, but this is a more extreme scrape, really quite deep and jagged edge. I cut my finger on it just feeling it.

This fix will only work if you have the type of wheel where there is a rim that is separated from the rest of the wheel by a groove, so that the varnish can be removed from just the rim and not the whole wheel. I have used just an ordinary paint and varnish remover that you get from DIY stores. I've used a small brush and care has to be taken so that the varnish doesnt go anywhere other than the rim. Then take the varnish off with wire wool .
Because the damage was so deep, I started with a metal file. Keep it flat and watch you dont damage the tyre while youre doing it.
I did the bevel by following the existing one with the file. Be careful again not to damage the tyre.
Now its just sanding. I started with 120grit then 240 and any I could find up to 2500 grit. I didnt have any 3000 or I would have finished with that.
Here's what it finished looking like. I've just protected it with a bit of polish. I'm leaving it without any varnish because it looks fine.
Wheel back on car. I can't believe how well it turned out. It was about 3hours work.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Wheel wound

Post by Davejue1 »

I recently had a wheel done with very simular damage caused by the previous owner at my local bodyshop. It cost me £85 so it's well worth learning these little tricks. Looks a good job. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Nothing worse than scuffing the rims, you've done a great job of repairing it
ImageImage
692DPG

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 692DPG »

Great DIY 'how to' thread John - thanks. Result looks superb too.
1997 (R) BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - weekender
Hell Red/Imola Red/Black Z3M leather - 2 door, manual
2005 (55) Porsche 997 C4S 3.8 - man-o-porsche
Arctic Silver/Black leather - 2 door, manual
2017 (67) BMW M140i - daily
White/Black leather - 3 door, manual
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

One of the most important things is to keep the sanding flat. Don't be tempted to use something like a dremmel which will result in undulations. Hand sanding it is surprisingly quick as the alloy is quite soft.