Chrome boot handle on prefacelift roadsters

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Chrome boot handle on prefacelift roadsters

Post by deni2s »

I see that there are some prefacelift roadsters who have chrome boot lid handle from factory (even z3 on wiki has it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW_Z ... 070306.jpg ).

I don't have chrome handle fitted on prefacelift, only the lock, but I can't fit it because the hole is too small on my boot lid for chrome handle. How it was fitted on these cars from factory? Do they just drilled bigger hole or there were some different parts for boot lids/chrome handle? I am thinking about retrofitting that handle, but I want to do that the right way.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Chrome boot handle on prefacelift roadsters

Post by Zed Carer »

Although these were a factory option I think that they were fitted by dealers as part of the PDI and, yes they did drill a bigger hole which is why a lot of Zeds get the paint bubbling around the chrome ring.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I wanted to fit a chrome lifter but after putting a similar thread on Robert T told me it wasn't a 2 minute job and the boot needed to be drilled so decided to leave well alone. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Zed Carer wrote:Although these were a factory option I think that they were fitted by dealers as part of the PDI and, yes they did drill a bigger hole which is why a lot of Zeds get the paint bubbling around the chrome ring.
Thanks for the info. I have paint bubbling also around the lock (no chrome ring). As I bought another boot lid and it needs painting, I think I might also fit chrome handle.