Driver seat hight adjustment - won't!!!!!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Driver seat hight adjustment - won't!!!!!!

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all out there. Well everything was working as per BMW intended until late last night when the seat electrics will not respond to height adjustment. I have even tried a pull-up with the switch on the lift cycle and a push down with it on the lowering cycle - but nothing.
The fore and after is currently fine.
Has anyone got any ideas please other than the obvious that the height adjustment side of the switch is jiggered!!!!!!!!!!
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Driver seat hight adjustment - won't!!!!!!

Post by Mac The Tank »

Is it stuck at its lowest position? Mine did that and just needed a wiggle of the mechanism from under the seat. The screw thread had tightened against the motor and jammed it up.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Mac The Tank wrote:Is it stuck at its lowest position? Mine did that and just needed a wiggle of the mechanism from under the seat. The screw thread had tightened against the motor and jammed it up.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Hi Mac The Tank. Thank you for your reply,no it is at the high position and I would have thought that a bit of assisted lowering would have got it on the move.
When the switch is activated there is a definite clunk and then nothing. With the seat being almost on the floor even at the high position it is difficult to see anything even with a flash-light.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

Sounds very similar to what I had, just easier for you to see under the seat :)

From memory, hold the switch in the direction you want the seat to go (down) and give the thread a tap or two with something. That was enough for mine to free up, but had planned to use pliers to turn the thread a couple of turns and try again.

The clunk is the motor turning the whole assembly instead of turning the screw, so the motor and switch sound good to me.

Sitting on it won't help it loosen either.
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Mac The Tank wrote:Sounds very similar to what I had, just easier for you to see under the seat :)

From memory, hold the switch in the direction you want the seat to go (down) and give the thread a tap or two with something. That was enough for mine to free up, but had planned to use pliers to turn the thread a couple of turns and try again.

The clunk is the motor turning the whole assembly instead of turning the screw, so the motor and switch sound good to me.

Sitting on it won't help it loosen either.
Hi again Mac -----------. Easier to see under the seat!!! My A***. I might only be 4'10" tall but everything is of normal proportions but my current problem is limited ability to kneel down since a total replacement left knee and three weeks ago a second arthroscopy on my right knee in an attempt to avoid being lower limb bionic!!!
Back to the seat. I will have a look again in good daylight and with the flash-light again as an additional source of light.
I will route out some industrial silicone spray and see if it will persuade the worm-drive to move.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi again to all. Well I have been out there flash-light under the seat but cannot see exactly which is the unit/component that needs a little light handed persuasion in conjunction with the switch activation.
The unit that attempts to move is near the front of the seat (it has small Allen Cap bolts) and appears to have a rod going between it and what appears to be the drive motor for the height adjustment.
The cantilever links are not fouled by anything and all of the connections appear to be intact.
Is there an under-seat multi-plug that could be a suspect having been trapped but now free and not totally connected?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You can remove the seat and tilt it over so the backrest is laid over into the opposite seat area without disconnecting the wiring... you can then inspect clearly as well as activate the switch to look for any little movements in any of the components... this will at least allow you to do your inspection without your cheek stuck to the floor carpet and peering through one eye for the best advantage... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Southernboy wrote:You can remove the seat and tilt it over so the backrest is laid over into the opposite seat area without disconnecting the wiring... you can then inspect clearly as well as activate the switch to look for any little movements in any of the components... this will at least allow you to do your inspection without your cheek stuck to the floor carpet and peering through one eye for the best advantage... :wink:
Hi Southernboy. Thank you for your reply. I was wondering about a possible way around the recommendation. I think that I will go that route and I must be honest I was looking at the possibility of raising the seat on a couple of spaces front and rear but with a little more under the rear of each rail. Two birds with one stone - as they say.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

To be safe, Disconnect the battery, remove the key from the ignition, remove the seat and make sure the connections to the wiring are fully engaged after you have positioned the seat, then re-connect the battery and proceed.... When you're done, disconnect the battery again just to be safe again etc etc... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

joebuck

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by joebuck »

Hi, before you start to worry about electric connections, seat removal or tilting please read on. Think yourself Lucky that the seat is stuck in high as this will give you much more room to spray WD 40 (plenty ) on all metal in sight. Worked for me, stuck on high and with cluncking from motor. Only thing is it took about 3 days then down she went. Good Luck
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

joebuck wrote:Hi, before you start to worry about electric connections, seat removal or tilting please read on. Think yourself Lucky that the seat is stuck in high as this will give you much more room to spray WD 40 (plenty ) on all metal in sight. Worked for me, stuck on high and with cluncking from motor. Only thing is it took about 3 days then down she went. Good Luck
Hi joebuck. Yes,I just might have a do at that after putting an old tea towel or two around the the visible metal bits.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... good idea ! you don't want WD40 in the floor carpeting... :shock:
"Normal is overrated"

ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to you all again. Well my seat is refusing to move and is still in the high position. It has had a good soaking with WD40 and it is still not for moving. The difficulty is getting in from behind the seat even with the backrest in the absolute upright position.
With the seat at the furthermost rear position the rod that is for the elevation is both covered in a plastic sleeve and not really accessible with pliers or a pair of mini Mole Grips.
There is some movement in the two halves of the small box that has Torqx bolts as fasteners but the Torqx keys are of little use as there is very limited access and only the two upper ones are just about accessible.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

You'll need to remove the seat (after disconnecting the battery) and lower the chair manually (after disconnecting the "height" gearing).
In a recent thread I posted pics of the 90degreee gear the is knackered on mine.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

BonBon wrote:You'll need to remove the seat (after disconnecting the battery) and lower the chair manually (after disconnecting the "height" gearing).
In a recent thread I posted pics of the 90degreee gear the is knackered on mine.
Hi BonBon. Thank you,I am aware of that after earlier help/advice from the forum but I was trying out the alternatives first.
I do not have a radio code for the BMW Business Radio at present but I will speak with Halliwell Jones on Tuesday and hopefully get it from the Vin reference.
What is the business of the seat-belt tensioner when removing a seat from the floor? From what I can see the seat simply bolts to the floor. Am I missing something?
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

There are a couple of electrical connectors beneath the seat. (depending if it's the driver or the passenger)
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

BonBon wrote:There are a couple of electrical connectors beneath the seat. (depending if it's the driver or the passenger)
Hi BonBon. As per the topic title - it is the drivers seat that is the issue.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

So there will be two connectors.
One to power the seats and one to the belt tensioner (and I think some cars had a connector to indicate if the sealt belt is connected)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Three if you have heated seats.

The pre-tensioners are bolted to the seats and will come out with the seat. It is a good idea to disconnect the battery whenever doing anything with these connectors as you wouldn't want to accidentally trigger them - they are explosive charges!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

BonBon wrote:So there will be two connectors.
One to power the seats and one to the belt tensioner (and I think some cars had a connector to indicate if the sealt belt is connected)
Hi again BonBon. So the trick is to disconnect the battery and then the connectors and then the procedure in reverse to reinstate them and then the battery connection with the earth as the last connection.
Oddly enough I have noticed that the seat belt indicator light goes out after turning on the ignition (with or without the engine running) and before the buckle is engaged.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Robert T wrote:Three if you have heated seats.

The pre-tensioners are bolted to the seats and will come out with the seat. It is a good idea to disconnect the battery whenever doing anything with these connectors as you wouldn't want to accidentally trigger them - they are explosive charges!

Cheers R.
Hi Robert T. Thank you. Yes,I have been well warned.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi again to you all. The subject of seat height adjustment has risen again. I managed to get a drivers seat subframe from a dismantles in Bolton (Metro Salvage,thank you Dave for your patience and perseverance) earlier today albeit the fore/aft motor is suffering from the sloppiness, it has an otherwise apparently working complete motor and drive components for the seat height adjustment.
The unit came from a Silver Metallic 'R' reg pre face-lift but appears to be an identical exchange of those items. Spanners at the ready tomorrow and remove the needed items from the sub-frame and possibly swap over in the next short while.
The subframe cost me £10.00.
I am allegedly reliably informed that disconnecting the battery will not cause the BMW Business Radio to loose the code!!!!!!! Does anyone have any experience of that please?
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

From my experience the code will be lost after disconnecting the battery. You should be able to get the code from a dealer, they used my vin and gave me the code :)
ImageImage
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to you all again. Well having had a closer look at the drivers seat subframe it would appear that the components that I require are partially factory 'Blind Riveted ' to the undercarriage and as such would need some skilful separation with an angle grinder,this would also need carrying out on my seat subframe and securing with bolts would appear to cause fouling issues.
Does anyone know how to remove the pin that appears to secure the small grey aluminium transfer box/gearbox that is the means of the motor to drive the height elevation worm-drive and linkages?
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to you all again. Well I Never. After a right load of faffing about and eventually coming to the conclusion that the problem was a jammed worm-drive in the high position I persisted with operating the switch in the down position whilst sat on the seat but with the engine running so as to keep the battery at maximum state.
Low and behold the seat moved downward and now appears to be OK.

Thank you one and all for you help and hints.
joebuck

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by joebuck »

Hi there, are you telling me it took 3 wks. and not 3 days, as i said for the old WD 40 to work the magic? Glad you got it sorted.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

joebuck wrote:Hi there, are you telling me it took 3 wks. and not 3 days, as i said for the old WD 40 to work the magic? Glad you got it sorted.
Hi joebuck. I am not entirely convinced that the solution was WD40 but yes,it appears to be sorted and having bought a subframe that has knackered bushes on the fore and aft adjustment, I have stripped it and now have two spare motors and the drive cables.