Not much activity......

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Not much activity......

Post by lightning »

.......on the Z4 section of this forum.

Why is that? Do the cars not have the same enthusiastic following as the Z3?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Not much activity......

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - the Z4 people do seem to be rather absent - maybe it is somethingt o do with their cars still being a bit on the expensive side.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
rambo
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by rambo »

Further to your comments on Z4 prices ,one of the Mechanic Journalists writing for Practical Classics has recently bought a 2.8 Z3 and has indicated that the car will start to become collectable and prices should start to move up!
I'm a subscriber because apart from my 99 Z3 2.0 I have a 1933 Austin 10/4 as a toy.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

lightning wrote:.......on the Z4 section of this forum.

Why is that? Do the cars not have the same enthusiastic following as the Z3?
A lot of us tend to be registered on Z4-Forum as well as on .net.

There may be more activity in the future as a growing number of people appear to switching to the Z4 from the Z3.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......... not easy to be active with everything being so......uninspiring.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I think it may well be that the Z4 is still a newer more modern car and doesn't require the attention of the Z3's. Not so many mechanical questions to ask etc. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......... they don't allow for much modification... there aren't the same number of aftermarket bits etc etc....

there's Z wheee ! and then there's Z Bore.... perhaps I should shut it and get an i8.... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Southernboy wrote:......... they don't allow for much modification... there aren't the same number of aftermarket bits etc etc....

there's Z wheee ! and then there's Z Bore.... perhaps I should shut it and get an i8.... :lol:
If you have a read on the Z4-Forum then a lot of the posts in the E85/E86 section concern modification, both cosmetic and performance but not so much in the E89 section but not many E89s were sold - see BMW's 2012 Financial Report!
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I posted on the Z4 forum, then went back to the post after 2 1/2 years to update it.

The post was still on the first page.
Maybe the Z4 forum will get more active when the cars are older, as suggested. Can the Z4 be worked on by owners, like the Z3, or is it dealer only?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Accidental post duplication deleted
Last edited by lightning on Wed 04 Jun, 2014 19:54, edited 3 times in total.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

You wont have to wait that long, everyone who has a Z4 returns to a Z3 at some point...... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

lightning wrote:I posted on the Z4 forum, then went back after 2 1/2 years to update the post, and it was still on the first page.

Maybe the forum will become more active as the cars get older. Can the Z4 be worked on by owners like the Z3, or is it dealer only?
The majority of the E85 Z4 running gear is similar to / the same as the Z3; e.g. the pads and discs in our 07 2.0 Z4 are the same as those in our 99 2.8 Z3 so that makes life easier! Changing shocks, etc is not that much different on the Z4 (the Z4 rear top mounts take a bit of uncovering).

Not sure which Z4 Forum you used but there are generally quite a few posts in the E85/E86, events/meets sections everyday on Z4-Forum. The oldest (2003) Z4s are now close to 11 years old so not that young anymore. The later E89 Z4 is a different animal and most of the work is dealer only unless you happen to have a well equiped workshop and relevant software.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

and the reason is....

"Normal is overrated"

maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Im on the Z4 forum to, and with the e85 biggest talking points are sticky steering and failure of the roof motor, other than than that there perfect, just drive it .:roll:
M

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

It would be nice to own both a Z3 and a Z4.

These cars are great value at the moment, l can see the Z3 rising in value due to the general price rise in Classic Cars.
They won't go crazy, but when you look at the prices being achieved for a good Ford Capri, or even the Cortina for instance, it makes sense that people will begin to wake up to "modern classics" like the Z3.

One criteria being the relative lack of electronics in the Z3, meaning owners can do many jobs themselves.
Last edited by lightning on Thu 05 Jun, 2014 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... LACK OF ELECTRONICS ? Ever counted the number of sensors in a Z3 ... :shock: :D
"Normal is overrated"

lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Relative lack of electronics!

Compared to more modern cars. For instance, on my friend's Range Rover Sport, it has to go back to the dealer for a new battery to be fitted.
If you do it yourself, the car won't start afterwards.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I just saw a Triumph TR7 convertible at £9750

Admittedly a restored one, but it's not that much older than my last Z3, six years in fact, and while very similar in type of car, not in the same league.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Southernboy wrote:....... LACK OF ELECTRONICS ? Ever counted the number of sensors in a Z3 ... :shock: :D
At least replacing a sensor on the Z3 is a relatively easy DIY job as generally no re-coding is required the only item that I have come across that needed re-coding is when a replacement ABS Pump / ASC Controller has been fitted.

Working on the E85/E86 Z4s is similar to the Z3 for general items; e.g. it took 45 mins to replace a broken rear spring on the Z4. We've also had the other 2.0 issue of a cracked exhaust manifold but instead of paying BMW circa £1,500 (there are 2 CATs built into the manifold) the indie that we use welded it for £60.