Green Button in Boot

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Nad

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Green Button in Boot

Post by Nad »

Hi
Might be a silly question but I have a small green button in the boot on the O/S with a small petrol pump on it which I assume you would pull to operate, but as my central locking has no affect on the petrol flap what use is this button. :?:
Nad
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Green Button in Boot

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think your central locking should lock the flap as you have a later car.
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Hi,

That is the emergency petrol cap lock release strap. If the central locking does open the lock then you pull on that to do it manually.

If your central locking does not lock your cap then someone may have pulled out the power cord to it like they did on mine and another members. It is easily restored if you pull the trim out and have a look. Either that or the actuator is broken.
Nad

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Nad »

Yes Found the fault, had another look at the petrol flap and there is a small plastic rod at the end of a wire which does move out when I lock the car But it appears to short and had got stuck at the back of the small hole it should slide through to lock the flap, May be there is a bit broken off the end of it :?: I would assume the only way to get at this part would be to remove the plastic wing liner! :bawl:
Nad
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

I think mine is metal. Have a look at the parts diagram: look here

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/Z3-Ro ... _tail_trim

cooper
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You can approach it by removing the wheel arch liner... 4 self tapping bolts with a No.8 socket... 2 inside the arch and 1 under the side skirt, the last is under at the bumper end... You will need to raise the car and remove the wheel first though.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

As the Z3 was used in a Bond movie, l always thought that the green pull wire in the boot was an emergency self-destruct device, so was afraid to try it out.
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

lightning wrote:As the Z3 was used in a Bond movie, l always thought that the green pull wire in the boot was an emergency self-destruct device, so was afraid to try it out.
Haha. That explains why so many people disable it - they are scared it will blow something up, eject someone, or send rockets out. :D
Nad

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by Nad »

Thank All especially for the diagram showing all the parts.
Removed the wing liner and the cable from the actuator to the petrol flap, it appears that the small plastic bush was missing on the bracket inside the flap and I think the plastic end on the wire has a bit missing from it. Have ordered the wire and a new plastic bush from my local BMW dealer. The cost was only £7.60 not bad I was expecting it to cost more. I am not looking forward to getting that wing liner back in, I nearly pulled the wing off trying to get it out :head:
Nad