Le Mans24

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Le Mans24

Post by Koolflyer »

Anyone going to Le Mans24 next week? RockyDave and myself cruising down Thursday and back Monday..... meet you for a beer?? :cheers
Pete
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Le Mans24

Post by Davejue1 »

Not sure you'll draw the same crowd for that Pete but I'm sure you'll have a cracking time. Enjoy! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Our lass is going down - not with me though, I am on baby sitting duties!!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

Oh yes, wouldn't miss it.
Taking new Z3 M as well so a bit of an adventure.
Estoril Blue will be parked close to the fence of Tertre Rouge campsite from Tuesday evening.
Say hello if you are passing.
Steve
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi Steve
Dave and I in Blue Nord, (Montreal Blue and Titanium Silver), so we'll look out for you.
Cheers Pete

PS Think your right Dave, however I have plans for another aviation / Zed photoshoot........this summer! :wink:
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

I've done the last two classics which way are you going down ?
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Have a great trip. I've promised myself to go one year soon. We drove round the road part of the circuit a few years back.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
911sc

M roadster S54

Post by 911sc »

Enjoy the trip! I am going to the Classic Le Mans in a few weeks time, taking the Z3M and staying on the Pistonheads campsite. This is my 4 th trip to CLM and I think it's fantastic! Anyone else going?
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Thanks guys, just hope the weather god is with us! :sunny . We're going Euro tunnel Calais and E402 toll Abbeville to Rouen, then taking D438 Alencon D338 to Le Mans which runs along the toll saving some toll fees. Our package is a Piston Heads job too. Will report back for those thinking of going in the future.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Maybe arrange a group trip next year?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

If there is anyone reading this and thinking "I'd really love to go to that this year as long as someone else had already done all the organisation" then please PM me as soon as poss.

I organise a trip each year, there are 15 guys going and one has dropped out last minute. You would need to be in Dartford late eve. Weds 11th and you will be back there by early eve. on Monday 16th.
Luxury camping, cold beer (all food and drink provided) 100 metres from the track. Satellite TV so you won't miss the football.
Cost....£320 for entry ticket. camping and crossing. Some fuel for your driver and 120euros for your chef!!! (yes you heard correctly) 3 course meals (steak and vension - get the picture?) and all the 1664/cheap red wine/absinthe you can quaff.
I am advertising this elsewhere as well.

Steve
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I couldn't do this year but would you advertise here next year? If it fell right I'd be very interested. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

OK its a deal Dave.
If you sign up early its easy enough to bring your Z. The commodity in short supply is the camping/parking pass, getting people tickets is easy enough.
It is short notice I know, but no one would regret it. I've found two late joiners on Pistonheads before and now they both come every year!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Thesurveyor wrote:OK its a deal Dave.
If you sign up early its easy enough to bring your Z. The commodity in short supply is the camping/parking pass, getting people tickets is easy enough.
It is short notice I know, but no one would regret it. I've found two late joiners on Pistonheads before and now they both come every year!
Me and our lass will sign up for next year in the zed
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

......looks like I've set the ball rolling again :wink:
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

I'm going down to Le Mans classic, not in my Z3 though, going down in a Cobra superblower so should be fun. Been to quite a few Le Mans classics and 24hr, have to say it's always a good drive down always have a good laugh. Not camping this year though, we've had enough of that. Have to say though I prefer classic Spa these days not as crowded
Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If you see a bunch of big Healeys down there, Andy, say hello as they are from my club. :)

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Robert T wrote:If you see a bunch of big Healeys down there, Andy, say hello as they are from my club. :)

Cheers R.
Will do, went down in Healey 3000 a few years back, Dutch Healey club let us camp with them as the campsite was so full, even let us bring in a TR6 and an Etype, some clubs are very friendly.
Andy
Andy

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

gas guzzler wrote:Will do, went down in Healey 3000 a few years back, Dutch Healey club let us camp with them as the campsite was so full, even let us bring in a TR6 and an Etype, some clubs are very friendly.
I've had my zed on their stand before today - mainly because the Sprite was in the workshop and I needed something to lug the tent over in - second day we had a lack of cars, so it went on display. :lol:

How did you find the 3000? Did you get cooked in the passenger seat? One of the cars going down has had some extra heat shielding fitted round the exhaust, as on the last long trip poor Jacqui got her legs burnt.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

Just to get back on topic and away from Austin Healeys.......

My trip to LeMans has lost another participant. That means I now have two seats in the one car.
I am sure that Jon will take £500 for what he has paid more than £600 for. Just to repeat this includes travel, crossing, camping and entry ticket.
Membership of our "team" services of a chef (hes called Colin). Then a camp kitty of about 120 eauros each for all food (three course meals) drink, booze, fireworks, satellite TV for football.
Come on someone (plus one)!

Steve
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Thesurveyor wrote:Just to get back on topic and away from Austin Healeys......

Get away from Austin Healeys, hard to really. Sports car with long bonnet ,short boot and originally had a four pot engine then a six pot from a saloon car with loads of grunt and lovely sound, sound familiar?

Yes it was hot in the passenger seat, I was a bit disappointed driving it though wasn't what I was expecting, still wouldn't say no to one though.
Andy

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Zed's fuelled up and loaded to the gunnels, poor thing! Weather is set for blue skies and top down, here we go........8-)
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Enjoy Pete, this is pay back for you and Dave organising the event at Newark the other weekend mate. Have a great time, Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Well, I said I'd report back after the trip to the Le Mans24, as I know some of you are thinking of going next year. Myself and RockyDave, and our two lads, took both the Z3's down which was a 1000 mile round trip and pleased to say neither car missed a beat with no hitches whatsoever, quality cars I hear you say! The weather did help, because it was blue skies and sun so top down driving all the way 8-). It was the first time I have taken the car on the Euro Tunnel and I must say I was more than impressed with the efficiency.....another box ticked! The route was straight forward apart from a road closure in Rouen, but made all the more interesting by masses of super cars all heading south to Le Mans too, mind you our two Zed's held their own against that lot, partly because there weren't many around so they did get a few glancing eyes.....I'd like to think in the positive!! We actually saw only three Z3's on the whole trip, (I did notice an Estoril waiting at Calais on our return just as we were loading.....was that you Steve "Thesurveyor"? The race was great to watch with lots of vantage points to watch, but I must admit the night time was spectacular! Either as a kid, or with your own kids, turning off the room lights at home with the sound effects on is just like the real thing, and boy, they are shifting! Afterwards, the spectators are allowed onto the track (whether they should or not I don't know??) but we did, and couldn't help thinking if only I could take the Zed for a quick spin around here :wink:
The only slight down side, is that its mainly dominated by groups of beer swilling males, so be aware of a fair amount of noise as they endeavour to build their 'beer mountains', so I was a little concerned at times about our Zed's well being. :?
We are planing to go again, perhaps in two years time, but next time to the Le Mans "Classic", that should be an interesting mix, and possibly attracting more enthusiasts rather than P*****heads. That said, we had a brilliant time, and the cruise down may well have been the highlight. Recommended :thumb:

Last edited by Koolflyer on Wed 25 Jun, 2014 23:03, edited 4 times in total.
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

I was on holiday in france while Le Mans was on, heading for St Hillaire De Rias in the Vendee had to drive right past Le Mans. I saw a black Z just after I got off the Boat at calais on the 12th, saw some amaizing motors from calais to Le Mans. Made the drive much more interesting! wrapped Astons, old Ferraris, Porshes...brilliant!
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Yeah I agree, I think the drive was as good as Le Mans itself!
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

Yes I was waiting patiently at Calais in the Estoril Blue M on Monday about 5pm if that was when you were passing.
My exerience was similar to yours actually in that the drive down was one of the best bits, especially as the new car was largely untested before then. It too behaved itself and did 27 mpg on the way down including some "spirited" back road driving with my cousin's 911.
Team Absinthium did not recruit any extra members so we were 12 this year. Had a great pitch on Tertre Rouge with views over the track. Great food as usual and the best weather for years. The slog back is always simply that....a slog against the clock but I took an audio book this year (I drove solo) and it helped the time to pass.
The only other Z I saw was on the way back on the A28 I think, a nice green one with a luggage rack on the boot taking it quite easy with the top down. I was top up all the way home I'm afraid but since I seem to have contracted shingles whilst down there so that is my excuse.
Anyone thinking of coming with us next year should know that we do enjoy ourselves and Koolflyers comments about groups of boozed up middle aged men was strangley familiar...........