After a puncture.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

After a puncture.

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all out there. I have looked at the knowledge base but cannot see anything that confirms that a spare wheel in the boot of a Z3 is an impossible task.
Has anyone successfully located a full size 16" wheel and tyre (225/50 x 16) into the boot of a Z3?
I have not tried it but I rather think that a punctured wheel/tyre will not sit in the passenger foot-well with a passenger in the seat.
I know that it will not sit flat on the boot floor but will one go in and the boot lid close if the front is tipped down and the back is sitting on a spacer/block?
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: After a puncture.

Post by alec.m »

I can confirm it will go in the boot with the lid up. Just slide it in at an angle. I used a piece of string to tie the boot down to stop it flapping up and down.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

alec.m wrote:I can confirm it will go in the boot with the lid up. Just slide it in at an angle. I used a piece of string to tie the boot down to stop it flapping up and down.
Hi Alec. I am even more curious now than ever before because I fail to see that BMW would design a vehicle with a temporary spare the that ends up leaving the potentially punctured full size tyre/wheel in the passenger foot-well with a passenger in the seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Further to that if the boot lid needs tying down with a cord/rope then the car and the contents of the boot is/are potentially insecure.
What you did not indicate was whether the wheel in the boot was a full size wheel carried as an option/preference to the temporary spare or whether it was the punctured tyre/wheel and therefore only a temporary inconvenience.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

It was the punctured one. A lot of people get rid of the spare and the carrier and use the BMW repair kit with compressor. I believe the M doesn`t have a spare anyway to make room for the twin exhaust. The other option people use is to have their tires treated with that liquid that seals leaks immediately. An awful lot of new cars come without a spare of any sort these days supposedly to save weight and improve fuel economy plus there`s no space to put them. Alec
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The car was supplied with a white plastic bag to put the wheel you remove in for this very purpose. It certainly won't go in the boot inflated and I doubt you'd get the lid to close even when flat.

There was a unfortunate accident a few years back where a female passenger was killed after a tyre that developed a bulge was removed and exploded whilst on her lap. Always deflate the removed tyre completely before putting it in the car.

Cheers R.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

That must have been terrible. A major floor on BMW's part then when designing the Zed. There was a thread recently on here about the removal of spares and it did get quite heated with what I recall. I for one have removed my spare ( yet to remove the carrier) and carry a kit. And after reading Roberts post about the accident I'm pleased I have. 99% of the time my wife travels in the Zed with me. I'd rather call out the breakdown service if I have a blow out than risk life putting a wheel in the car. :shrug

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... GET A RACK FITTED TO THE BOOTLID....THE PUNCTURED TYRE CAN BE CARRIED THERE QUITE SAFELY... OR STICK IT IN THE BOOT AND GET ONE OF THOSE STRETCH CORDS WITH THE HOOKS EITHER END TO HOLD THE BOOTLID FROM FLAPPING ABOUT... ALSO, SINCE YOU HAVE A FLAT, I WOULD IMAGINE YOU WOULD WANT TO HAVE IT REPAIRED ASAP...SO ANYTHING IN THE BOOT WOULD NOT BE "INSECURE" ONCE THE TYRE WAS REMOVED FOR REPAIR... THE LIMITED MILEAGE / SPEED RECOMMENDED FOR THE OEM SPARE REALLY DOESN'T ENCOURAGE DRIVING WITH IT FOR ANY EXTENDED TIME OR DISTANCE. IT'S A COMPROMISE WHICHEVER WAY YOU CHOOSE.... JUST CHOOSE THE METHOD YOU ARE HAPPY TO ENDURE IF YOU DO GET A FLAT...AND CONSIDER THE WORST CASE SCENARIO IN YOUR DECISION... LIKE GETTING A FLAT 60 MILES FROM THE CLOSEST POSSIBLE REPAIR POINT.... YOU'D BEST HAVE SOME GOOD OPTIONS TO GET YOU THERE. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

I`ve wondered how the breakdown services would view a call out to a car without a spare wheel if a spare was original spec for the car?
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

No differently to the 1000's of cars made every year without a spare I imagine. :D

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Actually, if your car is supposed to have a spare and doesn't, they won't come out, or they'll charge you.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Davejue1 wrote:That must have been terrible. A major floor on BMW's part then when designing the Zed. There was a thread recently on here about the removal of spares and it did get quite heated with what I recall. I for one have removed my spare ( yet to remove the carrier) and carry a kit. And after reading Roberts post about the accident I'm pleased I have. 99% of the time my wife travels in the Zed with me. I'd rather call out the breakdown service if I have a blow out than risk life putting a wheel in the car. :shrug
I don't understand your logic. Why has Robert's post made you glad to have removed the spare? I can understand you also carrying a repair kit, but removing the spare just reduces your options. What if you hit a pothole and split a tyre - which you can't repair with a kit? Personally I'd rather fit the spare and leave the damaged tyre at the side of the road to collect later than trying to find someone to recover the car (not to mention the cost).
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Personally I'd rather fit the spare and leave the damaged tyre at the side of the road to collect later than trying to find someone to recover the car (not to mention the cost).
You have stock wheels, right? Otherwise that wouldn't be an option I guess...
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

deni2s wrote:
BladeRunner919 wrote:Personally I'd rather fit the spare and leave the damaged tyre at the side of the road to collect later than trying to find someone to recover the car (not to mention the cost).
You have stock wheels, right? Otherwise that wouldn't be an option I guess...
Really? Under any circumstances? Taking someone to hospital, for instance? 3 am in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal?
I'm not suggesting I'd do it unless I had to, but you'd be mad to remove the spare just because you think you'd never need it.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Really? Under any circumstances? Taking someone to hospital, for instance? 3 am in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal?
I'm not suggesting I'd do it unless I had to, but you'd be mad to remove the spare just because you think you'd never need it.
Of course there always could be exceptions. But if I know that my set of wheels is quite expensive and loosing one wheel could be very costly and time consuming (not so easy to find one matching wheel with correct offsets), then I would think twice.

I was thinking about removing spare wheel (my father once told me not to do it as I will regret that at some point). Mostly my commute is in the city or 10km outside of it (work-home) and the road is quite ok there. Haven't had any problems with tyres 5 years now. Only once I had a problem - I noticed that tire is punctured only after 10km when I arrived at home, so I had to buy a new tire - no repair was possible anymore. I don't know how was that possible to not to notice, but I was alone in the car and it was passenger side rear tire, so maybe not so much stress on it. There was some little wobbling, but not enough to make me pay attention. Maybe I was just lucky that I arrived safe.

I assume I could quite safely remove spare tire to save the weight (in 5 years that makes some sense), but only if I can easily put it back for longer trips. But I am also fan of independence so I don't want to rely on luck and other people in case of accident, so keeping spare tire is an option I can count on.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

deni2s wrote:
Of course there always could be exceptions.
That was my point.
Last edited by BladeRunner919 on Wed 11 Jun, 2014 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

On the few occasions in 50yrs of driving and hundreds of thousands of miles that I have driven and been unlucky to have a puncture; it has been a priority to have it repaired or the tyre replaced if absolutely necessary.
In all of my years of driving and owning my own cars and car derived light vans I have only ever had one total blow-out. A piece of 2" angle iron came off the back of a flat-bed truck and took the OS front tyre out on a brand new car that I had only collected two days earlier. I considered myself very lucky that it did not take out the windscreen and possibly me as well.
I would no more be without a legal and abusable spare (unless of course the absolute unthinkable happens) than run down the road with no clothes on.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I don't understand your logic. Why has Robert's post made you glad to have removed the spare? I can understand you also carrying a repair kit, but removing the spare just reduces your options. What if you hit a pothole and split a tyre - which you can't repair with a kit? Personally I'd rather fit the spare and leave the damaged tyre at the side of the road to collect later than trying to find someone to recover the car (not to mention the cost).[/quote]

Bladerunner, allow me to explain my....."lOGIC" to you.
I'll put it into bullet points so it's easier to digest.

1, In 2006 my mother and father were hit by another motorist who lost control of there car, the offending car was travelling on a super designed "space saver" rim. When the police gave there explanation of events it was stated that the offending car had spun in wet conditions due to the space saver rim being fitted. It was Also said this accident would never of happened if it had been traveling on a standard wheel.

2, I have never nor ever shall entertain such a cheap and nasty excuse for manufacturers to save space and reduce tyre width on any of the cars I now own or will own In the future.

3, My zed does around 1500 miles a year and is only run for 6 months of the 12 available to me, yes of course it is possible to have a blow out within the said mileage but the law of averages would state it much less likely than a car covering the average 12000.

4, If in the event I would need to get to a hospital at 3am in the morning I would be taking my daily driver, this and my wifes and sons car blocks my Zed in plus it is behind locked gates so wouldn't be my best choice of vehicle if such a situation. My daily driver has a full matching alloy so no worries if I have a blow out!

5, I have been in the RAC since 1989 and have called them out twice in all that time. Once for an electrical malfunction and once for a blown engine. Never as yet have I required to call them for a puncture, but if I did and they refused to come and I would seriously have to consider my membership after 25 years.

I hope his helps you to understand my......"LOGIC" :cheers

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Interesting thread with many differing views. Can I just ask, do all the "Pro spare" people regularly check them (and the jack etc) for air pressure, corrosion, tyre condition?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Just my two cents worth: I get 24 hour breakdown call out FOC (including punctures) with the Z3 insurance.

Regards
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Not many I`m sure bertiejaffa. When I had to use mine it only had about 16psi in and the valve extender tube was a nightmare to remove. There was a thread about this a while back which prompted people to look at their spare and a few pictures were posted of some in terrible condition. The other concern raised was that most spare tires were now a lot older than the recommended life of a tire and that prompted a few people to buy a new spare.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi again to you all. Just a further point from my previous replies. I am one of those people and there are probably very few in the greater scheme of things that have all new tyres fitted when I take ownership of another car,that includes the spare wheel and certainly in the case of my last 14 or 15 cars it has included locating a matching alloy wheel as those on the car.
That said I am considering my options with the Z3. As things stand I will very likely buy a matching alloy to the four standard 16" ones ( currently shod with brand new 225/50 x 16 Maxxis MA-Z1) that are on the car and have a neutral (non directional ) tyre fitted. That way if I am unfortunate to have a total blow-out I will at-least have a full size wheel and tyre back at base as a temporary swap.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

alec.m wrote:Not many I`m sure bertiejaffa. When I had to use mine it only had about 16psi in and the valve extender tube was a nightmare to remove. There was a thread about this a while back which prompted people to look at their spare and a few pictures were posted of some in terrible condition. The other concern raised was that most spare tires were now a lot older than the recommended life of a tire and that prompted a few people to buy a new spare.
Yep, absolutely!!! And I assume that is the case with most people, and shamefully I have to admit I am the same!!! In the last month I have had 2 tyre failures on my A5, 1 blow out so big I could put my hand through it, and 1 side wall failure - both of these were on continental conti-sport3 tyres, so failure does happen even on great tyres and neither of them were the result of a nail etc.. (and more gutting, they both had a good 10,000 miles left on the tread and at £280 each, neither were cheap!). For these 2 occasions I was very thankful of my spare, space-saver tyre; thankfully it was inflated (because I have to admit I never check it) and thankfully it was in great nick because my A5 is my main driver and is 5 years old....

Additionally I am however also guilty of the fact that I only really check my tyres once every couple of months, and realistically I think I am pretty normal in that frequency - I am sure those who do it twice a month will no doubt post, whilst the rest of us will nod quietly in shame. Even more worryingly, a lot of people on here have their Z as a 2nd car and therefore only use it every 2 weeks or so and do less than 5000 miles a year in it. This means the tyres (never mind the spare) are even more static and often left in the same position for long periods at a time.
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Hi again to you all. Just a further point from my previous replies. I am one of those people and there are probably very few in the greater scheme of things that have all new tyres fitted when I take ownership of another car,that includes the spare wheel and certainly in the case of my last 14 or 15 cars it has included locating a matching alloy wheel as those on the car.
That said I am considering my options with the Z3. As things stand I will very likely buy a matching alloy to the four standard 16" ones ( currently shod with brand new 225/50 x 16 Maxxis MA-Z1) that are on the car and have a neutral (non directional ) tyre fitted. That way if I am unfortunate to have a total blow-out I will at-least have a full size wheel and tyre back at base as a temporary swap.
I totally agree with your logic and agree with your rationale - I also agree that you are for whatever reason, either fiscally or motivationally, in "the few", but I do think we all need to be more careful about our tyres, whether it be tyre age; pressure; take it off and check the inner wall; check the spare; check the wheels etc... all to often it is overlooked; Someone posted on here recently that they would not buy a car solely based on the fact that it had 12month MOT as this means the tyres could have only 1.6mm of tread.

Ultimately, "To have a spare, or not have a spare, that is the question...." For me, the (soon to be sold) 2.0l has one. The M doesn't because it cant fit. The A5 has a small one, our lass' Kia has a full sized one. Many new cars don't have one and my motorbike can't have one no matter what I do (and I have had a puncture on that and used a slime compression can to get home). It is each to their own, I have been thankful of my spare recently on the A5 but that doesn't make me want to try and fit one to my Z3M. I, like a lot of people on here who remember are driving 12-18 year old cars, have breakdown cover which includes puncture and towing... Yes, it's not ideal to rely on them if and when you do have a puncture but in reality how often is that? (unless as I say you have a car from the other German car manufacturer that has 2 tyre failures in the space of a week!!!) and look on the bright side, with a 2 seater car at least you wont have a car full on screaming kids to deal with while you wait to be picked up!!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

bertiejaffa wrote:In the last month I have had 2 tyre failures on my A5, 1 blow out so big I could put my hand through it, and 1 side wall failure - both of these were on continental conti-sport3 tyres, so failure does happen even on great tyres and neither of them were the result of a nail etc.. (and more gutting, they both had a good 10,000 miles left on the tread and at £280 each, neither were cheap!).
Are you sure continental conti-sport tyres are great? I am thinking the opposite despite their price and "premium" segment. I had one of the best conti tyres on my z3 (don't remember the specs, but I got "the best I could find") and got one blown tire after a month on quite good surface. So had to buy another one instead. And the wear was tremendous. Had to replace these tyres quite soon. Now I am driving on Pirellis P-zero and I am much more satisfied.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Very interesting debate, but what is a "major floor"" on BMW's part?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

deni2s wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:In the last month I have had 2 tyre failures on my A5, 1 blow out so big I could put my hand through it, and 1 side wall failure - both of these were on continental conti-sport3 tyres, so failure does happen even on great tyres and neither of them were the result of a nail etc.. (and more gutting, they both had a good 10,000 miles left on the tread and at £280 each, neither were cheap!).
Are you sure continental conti-sport tyres are great? I am thinking the opposite despite their price and "premium" segment. I had one of the best conti tyres on my z3 (don't remember the specs, but I got "the best I could find") and got one blown tire after a month on quite good surface. So had to buy another one instead. And the wear was tremendous. Had to replace these tyres quite soon. Now I am driving on Pirellis P-zero and I am much more satisfied.

Yeah I wondered that myself, I have the continental conti-sports on the 2.0l zed, but they came with the car - again referencing the early comments, I am in the majority of people who don't change the tyres when I get a 2nd hand car (as long as they look OK of course) and yes I do have tramlining, but thats a different topic. (FYI, the M has Falkens on it and they also came with the car, and no it doesn't tramline but I don't think many M's do based on other threads)

As for the A5, it came with the conti's already fitted as well, and 2 of them were brand new when I got the car and to be honest its has done 20,000 miles without issue I have always been happy with them. The big blow out came when the better half was driving the car, thankfully only at low speeds into Manchester, otherwise it would have been me on the M6 doing 90 mph (or should I say 70 based on the comments on another thread - ahem!). At the time I assumed it was just one of those things and changed like for like as they had never given me any issues previously and I was uncomfortable about having different tyre brands on the car - I had seen the pirellis P-zero when I was looking as well and they were £20 cheaper. (FYI my A5 tyres are 265 30 ZR20).

The 2nd failure came literally 2 hours after I had my replacement for the blow-out fitted. Basically, having had that fitted and inflated to the correct pressure (44psi) I decided to check the rest (because as I say I don't do it often enough - especially when they all look OK) and they were all around the 30psi mark so I inflated the rest to 44psi. It seems that this neglect had damaged the inner wall of the tyre because 2 hours after inflating to the correct pressure, the 2nd tyre was flat due to inner side wall failure. So yes, if I'd have known that I would have had 2 failures in the same day then I would have probably changed the manufacturer, but having already replaced 1 conti for another, I couldn't replace the 2nd one for a different brand based on my OCD / comfort about different tyres etc.... Besides, and this is back to the point of my comments, I concluded that the 2nd (and possibly the 1st) failure was more down to me not checking them often enough rather than the brand if that makes sense.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Just bung your flat in the boot and tie the boot lid down as far as will go. The secret is to travel light and have little in the boot.

Alternatively sell the Zed and buy a more practicable motor :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Just bung your flat in the boot and tie the boot lid down as far as will go. The secret is to travel light and have little in the boot.

Tim.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

TitanTim wrote:The secret is to travel light and have little in the boot.
Same here. Boot is just for for soft top cover. Trying to manage something else here is possible only theoretically :D In real life that is pain in the ass.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

TitanTim wrote:Just bung your flat in the boot and tie the boot lid down as far as will go. The secret is to travel light and have little in the boot.

Tim.
Hi TT. I don't think that you could get a more practical car than my current Volvo V70 D5 SE Geartronic unless of course there is an amphibious V70 that I don't know about.
The Z3 offers practicalities that a V70 cannot offer,that said I am sure there might be a full drop-top one about somewhere.
The issue with having the boot open is the drawing in of carbon monoxide fumes,yes it does happen even in a roadster - as I found out the other day whilst manoeuvring the car with the hood up and the boot lid open.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Just bung your flat in the boot and tie the boot lid down as far as will go. The secret is to travel light and have little in the boot.

Tim.
The issue with having the boot open is the drawing in of carbon monoxide fumes,yes it does happen even in a roadster - as I found out the other day whilst manoeuvring the car with the hood up and the boot lid open.
I'd be surprised it would be a problem unless in a confined space like the garage, unsure what the difference is to having the hood down and stuck in traffic?

Tim.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

TitanTim wrote:

Tim.
I'd be surprised it would be a problem unless in a confined space like the garage, unsure what the difference is to having the hood down and stuck in traffic?

Tim.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

TitanTim wrote:

Tim.

Tim.
Hi Tim. I believe that there is a big difference. If the boot lid is up or not fully closed the fumes are drawn in by the slipstream effect at the rear of the car.
A similar effect is experienced with estate cars when the tailgate is not fully closed down.
Yes sitting in traffic is not pleasant but at least it is dispersed around the outside and not drawn directly in the car.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I can understand the fumes are drawn into the boot, but can't see how much, if any, gets into the cabin. I know the boot isn't completely airtight from the cabin if all the trim is removed, but with the layer of carpet in the well for the roof and behind the seats, I'm amazed that any fumes got in. Especially because the aerodynamic effect that draws the fumes in shouldn't come into play at the low speed that you'd have been doing whilst manoeuvring. Well, assuming you weren't practising your high-speed escape driving!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Rafolian wrote:Very interesting debate, but what is a "major floor"" on BMW's part?
The fact there is nowhere to put a flat tyre other than in the car which Robert has pointed out can literally be deadly or in the boot so the lid won't shut. :)

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Ah, a major flaw!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Yes lol :lol:

ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi chaps and chap'esses. I am not going to suggest that the design of the more than lovable and certainly extremely desirable Z3 was flawed and that is how the Z4 was spurned but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??
The Z4 certainly appears to have a number of Oh S*** we could have kept the Z3 and incorporated some much sought after tweaks that are now built into this car.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Hi Tim. I believe that there is a big difference. If the boot lid is up or not fully closed the fumes are drawn in by the slipstream effect at the rear of the car.
A similar effect is experienced with estate cars when the tailgate is not fully closed down.
Yes sitting in traffic is not pleasant but at least it is dispersed around the outside and not drawn directly in the car.
I really don't see that happening in a car with a separate boot - although it is not airtight between the boot and the cabin, there will be very little airflow between the two. If you have to have the roof up when doing this, then simply put the fan on low to maintain a higher air pressure in the cabin, so the air flows out rather than being drawn in - my fan is usually on when the roof is up anyway. I have driven short distances like this (with an overlarge suitcase rather than a wheel) and I can't say I noticed any exhaust smell in the cabin at all. You won't smell carbon monoxide, as it is odourless.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

If you have a cat fitted, you wont get carbon monoxide fumes anyway. It is converted to carbon dioxide, which isnt poisonous and, if it is not excluding oxygen altogether, wont harm you.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I keep my spacesaver in the boot rather than it slung under the Zed and it fits in comfortably so I reckon an 18" wheel and tyre will fit in reasonably enough that you can tie the boot lid down enough for it to be safe for a shortish distance. Has anyone actually tried this?

I would agree with Robert I just can't see fumes being a problem whilst driving along and if was then surely put the hood down for plenty of fresh air :)

Tim.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

... all this talk of punctures... I went down to a local engineering / off roading / whatever gets you out there type place... Saw a really neat little car battery powered compressor for little more than £12.... The blurb on the box claimed it could pump up a tyre in 1.5 minutes.... I was quite impressed... I asked the salesman if this meant a bycicle tyre or the tyre on my 4x4... I didn't buy the compressor.... but it got me to thinkng about a car battery powered scissor jack which was on the shelf below... The more I looked at it the more it said you will need me... I was overwhelmed by this prophetic voice and bought it...(£.35)... When I got home, I had to check it out... jacked up the car on all four corners in turn... So nice ! standing there with the control button jacking it up then down halfway, then up again in small jerky movements... then down as fast as it would allow... chuffed but bored, I went indoors for a pint... happy that the days of cranking a handle or waggling a lever were over... at least when I'm on home base.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Very good Barry - if slightly luxurious. On the topic of punctures I noticed today that one of the 2 remaining tyres on my A5 has a nail squarely in the middle of it !!! thankfully it hasnt deflated the tyre but its another trip the the tyre place to get it fixed this weekend - hopefully thats the last of the "things happen in 3's"
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Friday 13th Bertie! You appear to be very unlucky! :D

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Davejue1 wrote:Friday 13th Bertie! You appear to be very unlucky! :D
I forgot all about that - thankfully Ive got a JD & coke now watching the footy so the cars are on the drive for the night - at least nothing else can go wrong with them, tonight (famous last words!)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I used to have an 1948 Austin 16 which had it's own built in jacking system. Under the bonnet was a place for a small lever which worked a hydraulic system that could raise the car front, rear or all 4 off the ground. That was the only hydraulic system in the car. The brakes were operated by rods.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

John Wilson wrote:I used to have an 1948 Austin 16 which had it's own built in jacking system. Under the bonnet was a place for a small lever which worked a hydraulic system that could raise the car front, rear or all 4 off the ground. That was the only hydraulic system in the car. The brakes were operated by rods.
Hi John. the Austin 16 was an absolutely amazing car for the period - almost the working man's Rolls Royce or Bentley. The level of leather trim with individual armrest and everything about the car just oused quality. The rod brakes were very powerful indeed and possibly only prevented from being fierce by the weight of the car - unlike the rod brakes on the Falcon kit-car of the 60's that would stop on a sixpence because of the stopping power of the brakes and virtually no weight in the car.
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Back on topic - holding the boot lid down with the punctured wheel inside.

I have a shortened bungee with hooks. One end goes in a slot in the boot lid and the other hooks in the boot lock catch.
However I suspect that this wouldn't be very secure on a bumpy road. I ought to make up a second short bungee just to be sure.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Stick on a boot rack, problem solved!!!!!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Rafolian wrote:Stick on a boot rack, problem solved!!!!!
Hi Rafolian. A boot rack will solve one problem but create two other issues never-mind the weight of the wheel on the panel. The depth/thickness of the wheel/tyre combination is 9" and the total diameter is 24" and as such it would leave the view out of the rear window like looking through a letterbox and it would hang over the rear of the lid and obscure the boot-lid brake light.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

The boot lid brake light would not be obscured as it is under the rack and as the purpose of the rack is for carrying luggage there is no difference between a wheel and a suitcase or two regarding restricted rear view (which is going to be restricted anyway with a loaded rack)!