Fly by wire throttle

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Flight

blank

Fly by wire throttle

Post by Flight »

Hi all.
Has any one any experience of adjustment for the accelerator pedal and control system. On my 3.0i the pedal control is not progressive. The pedal appears to have too much free play prior to the engine revs rising. This makes for difficult driving as the first inch of pedal travel does nothing, then the next gives too much. there is little sensitivity.
many thanks
Flight
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Fly by wire throttle

Post by Southernboy »

It is adjustable.... you need to remove the trim under the dash and around the pedals.... above the accl pedal you will see the "potentiometer".... unplug it, and remove it.... it has a lever with a nut on the shaft coming through the lever. The lever is fitted to a serrated shaft... you can move it up one serration to take up the slack... if that's not enough, move it another and so on until you are happy with the positioning... you will have to re-fit it everytime you move the lever to test it unfortunately...(2 bolts)... But it is easy to do if a tad uncomfortable working in the confined space... and removing the seat to do the job is not an option since you will need to turn on the ignition and start the motor to test.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

PS..... IF THE ISSUE ISN'T RESOLVED, IT MAY BE ADVISABLE TO HAVE THE POTENTIOMETER TESTED...THIS CAN BE DONE USING AN OHMETER... AS YOU DEPRESS THE LEVER, THE NEEDLE ON THE OHMETER SHOULD MOVE ACROSS ACCORDINGLY... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

FBW throttles are horrible. My 2.2 has one, and my son's Z4M too. The Z4M has the benefit of a 'SPORT' button which transforms the accelerator from a thing pushing into a pudding to something like a proper Bowden cable connection. On the Z3, apart from the adjustment Southernboy has outlined, you can only reset the adaptive throttle setting by a sequence of switching on and off of the ignition. Sorry but I can't recall the sequence but it does have some effect. Mine had been owned and driven by a gentle driving lady and it was too soft by half. Once reset it learned my less timid style and has been better since.