Can't get stereo out!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Can't get stereo out!

Post by blueface »

Yes, simple job or at least it should be but I cannot for the life of me get the becker headunit out.

The keys go into the slot and lock in place but it barely moves. Have used a lot of force and scared of something breaking now. Seems to be caught mainly on one side. Will I have to remove the side panels of the centre console to gain access?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Can't get stereo out!

Post by lightning »

This happened on my Z3 2.8.

The only solution was to remove the side trim panels, which if l remember rightly involves removal of the centre console. Although l am sure somebody will correct me on this if l am wrong.
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

Thanks man. Looks like I'll be pulling apart the interior then! :(
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I've had that with my Becker... push it back in, and tackle the side which was stuck using the becker "keys"... hopefully that will release. I have an idea it may be something to do with the size of the screw head just inside the aperture which holds the climate control unit in place at the top. If / when you get it out, check that those screws are fully tightened down. Before removing the console, which is not going to happen whilst the head unit is in place, try removing the screws holding the console sides under the dash - 2 each side - and put your hand in from there up to the headunit and slightly lift it at the back end where the wires connect, whilst a second pair of hands uses the keys to withdraw the unit. You'll be able to jiggle it from going in there too, which may just help to release it.
BTW. The console has 2 screws which fit in the headunit aperture at the inside top...so you'll not get the console out anyhow before removing the headunit.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

That's a great help. Will try that and see. Many thanks for taking time to reply, both of you.
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

Could get my hand in but couldn't see what was restricting it when I only removed the two screws for the centre console side panel, so ended up removing the entire glove box. Got it out after some huffing and puffing but still none the wiser what was catching. At least it a sorted now :)

Thanks for the help guys.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Pretty much what happened with mine, from memory.
At least you got the unit out.

It's funny how in order to remove one bit of plastic, you often have to chase mounting screws half way round the car, such as when removing the plastic covers over the roll hoops, to get to the power hood wiring.

You end up with half the interior out.
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

I know what you mean. Was struggling to get the panel out so tried removing the front end to see if that helped. :)
https://flic.kr/p/o8k82f
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

blueface wrote:I know what you mean. Was struggling to get the panel out so tried removing the front end to see if that helped. :)
Hahaha! If I didn't know better I would have guessed you were trying to remove the roll hoops! :lol:
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

Na, decided the roll bars couodnt be connected to the stereo so just removed every body panel instead. :)

just prepping the car for a body kit conversion. Will likely start a thread about it sometime soon.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

blueface wrote: just prepping the car for a body kit conversion. Will likely start a thread about it sometime soon.
Will be interested to see this. Are you fitting a ready made kit bought from somewhere or making a custom one?
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

I haven't the skills to make one unfortunately. It's this one:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tribute-Automot ... 1211334733

Will post up a thread about it when I get the body further along. Just working on getting the fit right and Sanding it flat currently.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

That's another good looking kit (I also like the Bertini).
You know that the next thing you'll have to do is drop a V8 in it!!

Good luck and will look out for the build thread.