Fitting the tonneau cover

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Fitting the tonneau cover

Post by lightning »

I just obtained one of these second hand, for £80.

Not the easiest thing to put on!

Although once on, it looks good. I bet many owners never worked out how to do it, as the instructions are incomprehensible.
Also it kind of defeats the advantage of having an electric hood! Which does not matter on my car, as it is not working. But that's not the point.

I wondered why there were so many on ebay.....nobody can work out how to fit the bugger to their car!
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Fitting the tonneau cover

Post by Ragtop »

This should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ow4TRMYSA

It is quite easy using this method, but like you I was finding it difficult to fit before finding a youtube video explaining how to do it.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It is rather a pity that BMW didn't work out a system whereby the tonneau cover would be a semi permanent fitting in the back which could be simply pulled over the roof once lowered and clipped to the body... something more flexible would have sufficed. Storing and fitting the OEM cover is about as practical as to make it not worth the effort.I think 90% of these OEM covers are quietly gathering dust in storerooms and garages around the world... and they're likely to be the last Z3 OEM items still available in "as new" condition in 50 years time... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Ragtop wrote:This should help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ow4TRMYSA

It is quite easy using this method, but like you I was finding it difficult to fit before finding a youtube video explaining how to do it.

Nice music!!
must remember to 'Thug' the sides in :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Yes l got the beast fitted and had forgotten to do the sides, and spent some minutes trying to release the poppers so they would go in.
After that, l could not get the poppers to re-locate.

At this point my wife opened the garage door to ask if we were "still going out in the BMW"
Last edited by lightning on Mon 30 Jun, 2014 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I've never had a problem fitting the tonneau cover but I am surprised that it stays attached with those tiny little press studs. It seems to be much heavier than necessary. I find myself driving along with one eye on the tonneau cover in the mirrors in case it becomes detached and surprises the following traffic!
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

I've never had a problem fitting it ---- It lives in the garage where it belongs. It is almost an antique. :D :D :D :D :D
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
brilie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by brilie »

I too have never had a problem fitting one I never bother with the studs
In the middle at the bottom,just the two studs at the front which push
On at he door posts,then simply push the tonneau so it pops into the body easy
Two mins max :D .It has never blown off yet even at 70mph :lol:
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

As above but use all 4 clips middle 2, unfold 2 sides, clip 2 next to door pillar, push cover into place against the rubber seal as per video job done. Make sure the roof catches are in their closed position otherwise difficult to get the cover pushed down enough.

We use ours most times we are out for the day and if rains and the boot is really full it fits where the roof folds into as long as you have a mesh deflector. Not the best design but easy enough to use. The Z4 when it came out was hailed as the first car that managed to use the folded roof as a tonneau cover.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i