Arthritic Zed!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Arthritic Zed!

Post by Lazeodoom »

Took the Zed to get the once over after he started getting creaky around the suspension. Apparently the bushes (?) are starting to wear and thus I get a creak/squeak from around the wheels as I go over bumps. Of course in summer with the roof down I already stand out a bit but with the noise too I really do start to feel self conscious!
I've seen various posts about these 'bushes' and whether they should be 'poly' or not and the consensus appears to be 'poly'. I can do a few basic jobs around the car but messing with the suspension and wotnot isn't something I fancy getting involved with so I will rely on the spannerman at the garage to do the job for me. However, what should I ask for, literally just "poly bushes to replace the standard ones" or is there some sort of techy thing I should ask for in particular? In short, it all sounds a bit more technical than my usual services/replace the worn part requests and I'm sure I'll ask for something I don't understand and make a right berk of myself!
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Arthritic Zed!

Post by Dino D »

If you don't like creaks and squeaks avoid poly bushes!
I have them but also a nice supersprint exhaust so that drowns the squeaks somewhat!

There are some great posts on here about bushes as members experiences to help you decide. I think the consensus is that some key bushes should be poly or M3 items and the rest standard (if the best compromise between ride, handling and squeaks is to be maintained).
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Dino D wrote:If you don't like creaks and squeaks avoid poly bushes!
The only polybushes that are likely to squeak are the rear trailing arm bushes. I'd suggest oem for the rtabs and polybushes for all the rest. I have various polybushes and have never heard a squeak from them.
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Gentlemen, if you know the best place to buy bushes and provide some estimated costs that will solve a whole lot of heartache for the guy

I got a quote for some bushes here in Australia and the prices were outrageous! I could actually get replacement arms from England for the price they quoted me.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Same here - not a squeak or any sign of the often-reported harshness in ten years.

All the poly bushes are is pivots, so how people claim they promote harshness is a mystery to me. Polyurethane bushes are often confused with polythene - which do tend to make a noise, and being harder than polyurethane they transmit road noise.

For a supplier, try the Powerflex website.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

My humble opinion is that common areas of suspension "tiredness" on Z3s are the shock absorbers, the rubber bush at the rear of the front, lower control arms and the droplink (tie the suspension to the anti roll bars) bushes. In my opinion the one most likely to cause "squeaking" over bumps is worn droplinks.

The most popular one to replace with polyurethane is the lower control arm bush. New droplinks are inexpensive and come with a standard rubber bush welded into them and personally I wouldn't bother to replace these with polyurethane ones as I don't see that it is necessary to do so.

There are two stages of polyurethane bushes, Powerflex sell a purple type suitable for road use and a black type which is very hard and designed for track use.