NEWBEE

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
phil.a

Z3 roadster 1.9i

NEWBEE

Post by phil.a »

hi all just sold my mgf vvc that i have owned for over 4 years, to buy my z3 is it the better car, well had it for two weeks it does not handle as well or it is not as quick, but it is a nicer car, better built and one thing for sure you cant be shy in one :lol: phil
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: NEWBEE

Post by Koolflyer »

......you are now driving a BMW, which does have good build quality. Not as quick?....what Z3 do you have? Anyway welcome on board Phil, you'll find a friendly bunch on here with a wealth of information, should you need it :rtm: Cheers
Last edited by Koolflyer on Wed 02 Jul, 2014 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

phil.a wrote:hi all just sold my mgf vvc that i have owned for over 4 years, to buy my z3 is it the better car, well had it for two weeks it does not handle as well or it is not as quick, but it is a nicer car, better built and one thing for sure you cant be shy in one :lol: phil

What engine did you go for?
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Obviously must be a 4 pot if it's not as quick as the vvc, as I think they have about 160hp!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......Hi and welcome.... The 1.9 you have will still be around long after the MG.... and it's a heap more fun to own as you will find out as a member here especially if you enjoy "tinkering".
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hi and welcome Phil
phil.a wrote:it does not handle as well
Check the shock absorbers - the thing with Z3s is that they are all now quite old and I suspect a lot are driving around on old, tired shocks. Renewing makes a big difference. :)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Don't compare the two cars, there worlds apart. I never liked MG's after the original badge died in the early 80's neither did I like BMW until I bought the Zed. Never owned one and never intended to.
Buying my Zed was the best hobby descision I've ever made. The car is fantastic, I love the way it drives, and mores the point the the social aspects the car has given me. The forum is a credit to the guys that run it and the forum members are always happy to help when you need some assistance. There's several events each year to attend if you wish so in a nutshell, don't look back at what you had, look forward to what you've got now and enjoy! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
phil.a

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by phil.a »

hi all yep its a 2000 1.9 not disapointed nice car to drive what as supprized me is that its 14 years old and its difficult to get classic car insurance, got it at the end but had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it and at a price, but at least iam on the road will reserch it more next year,
fast_dps

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by fast_dps »

I found similar issues with insuring my 1999 2.8 last year, most classic insurers said it was too young. Even the company that insured my Dad's 1996 XJS! In the end I got a reasonable deal off Adrian Flux based on 5000 miles a year.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Try Henderson Taylor. They insured my Elise as a "modern classic" and it was only nine years old.

However, a lot of "classic" insurers demand that it is a second car, often with restricted mileage.
bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

Welcome Phil enjoy the car & forum, I did a multi-car insurance with Aviva the daily car an X3 and Zelda 2.8 come to £550 for the two, how much was the classic car? unlike you
could not find a company to insure her as a classic so would be interested to know the cost.

Bazza
Bazza (East Dorset)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I have a 2.8 1998. All I did was get a quote on confused classic website and took the policy that suited me. I pay £210 with a restricted mileage off 3000 which I never reach. Just did 1500 last year. :drive

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

I went down the Classic Car route with Lancaster on a 98 1.9. With social use only, as a second car and restricted mileage of 1000 miles a year it came to £123 pa. I've spent the last 18 months replacing all the suspension consumables, discs, callipers etc. I'm so pleased with the way it drives that I've sold my A1 and now use the Z3 as my everyday driver. My wife has a Yeti so we don't really need two modern saloons. I cancelled the Lancaster Insurance and transferred my Z3 on to my Admiral Multicar Policy and it costs £210 - social, commuting and unrestricted mileage so far better value. Strange thing is that the A1 never used to get warmed up on my daily 3 mile commute (1.4 TSFI) and averaged about 34 mpg whereas my Z3 reaches running temperature after about 1 mile and averages 30 mpg. There's progress for you!! Best thing I ever did - the Z3 cost me 2k and I own it, whereas I was paying £243 for the A1 on a PCP and I never would own it. Now I have spare money to get the Z3 as I want it and a great everyday car - vastly underrated by those that haven't had or got one. It's a standard car with poly bushes on the rear crossmember, on original 15 inch pepperpot alloys, handles well enough for me, has a nice smooth ride and is plenty nippy. I can hear the radio at 60 (roof down) and have a conversation with my passenger. Out of the 80 or so cars that I've had over 40 years this is probably my most satisfying. It's a restorers dream as everything bolts on and now Halfords are in partnership with Eurocarparts I can get just about any part I need from around the corner within 90 minutes or 24 hours at the longest. Better still, I am semi retired and have a part time job at Halfords so I can get discount too. I have wasted £1000's over the years - have I finally come to my senses??
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Never looked at classic car ins. Hastings again this year for £163, 10K miles, £300 excess and it`s parked on the street in town. Got another meerkat too :D . It`s a 2.8
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

My Z3 3.0 is actually insured with Direct Line, using their "multicar" system. I'm paying £169. The same as my 2012 Polo 1.2 (also on the multicar policy) which has 1/4 the bhp.
I can never understand car insurance.

I did have five years NCB from my Lotus Elise though, to put on the Z3. Although initially I thought it was three years, and the quote for that was only £30 higher at £199.

Another thing, this is with my lovely wife on the policy. Without her it was £40 more expensive, at £210!