exhaust fitmen... help needed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

exhaust fitmen... help needed

Post by Mugs »

i have a 1997 1.9 which i have just put on a second hand (looks quite new) cat back system. now i have chance to drive it for a few miles it has become apparent that the internals are rotting away as for the first few miles it spewed out rusty water and now has the start of the rattly baffles vibrations. i only paid peanuts for it so i'm not bothered but i now want to replace it with a new one.
i want to have twin tailpipes so my question is will the catback system from the 2.8 fit the 1.9?
i have had a sneaky look under a 2.8 i found parked in a car park and they look the same but is there a dimensional difference in the two?
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: exhaust fitmen... help needed

Post by Gareth 161 »

It is possible but the pipes are a slightly different diameter and the flange will need modification.
I went the other way & fitted a s/s longlife catback from a 1.9 to my 2.8 thinking that as it was more free flowing it should not affect performance.
It was fairly cheap so thought would have a play
Have not noticed any difference in performance but it certainly sounds a lot sportier.
So yes it should be possible but you will need to possibly play around with the flange fitting a little.
Best of luck
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

thanks Gareth.
how does the flange differ from the 1.9? is just the diameter that's different or is it a different style?
the reason i asked is i found a website that sells an aftermarket catback that is supposed to fit the 1.9 from '95-'99 and the 2.8 '97 only so either they have it wrong or the '97 is the same flange.
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

The flange is a similar shape but the bolt holes did not line up as different width between centres.
Got around the problem by using an angle grinder & cutting elongated slots in the flange to enable it to be bolted together.
Seems to have worked OK & has passed 2 MOT's since.

Why do you want to put a 2.8 box on as the difference in weight between the 2.8 I took off and the s/s longlife system is substantial.
Also I never felt that the car sounded as a sports car should.
With the s/s one it has transformed the sound although I suppose it depends what you are looking for.
Not sure on the gas flow side of things although you will probably be better going from a 1.9 to a 2.8 rather than me doing it the other way round although even if I have lost a bit of power, it is so much more enjoyable to drive.
Hope this helps
Gareth
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

This is a mod that I've contemplated for the same reason (twin tailpipes), so I'd be interested to see how this goes. Would you be kind enough to document your findings and report back?