Repair damaged dash - clips?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Repair damaged dash - clips?

Post by Cooper01 »

Hi Guys, I got a second hand replacement dash part and in a couple of places the securing clip areas have been torn - you know those slip on metal clips that cover a hole and then the screw goes through, well the holes are now gaps that need repair.

I was thinking of using some fiberglass over that area then re-drilling the holes and slipping the metal clips on - problem solved, I think. Will that work or is there a better way? Below is a picture of the damaged areas.

Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Repair damaged dash - clips?

Post by Cooper01 »

I just found out that Loctite make a putty that you kneed then apply which dries fast. It can be drilled and painted! Looks like that is what I need! It is cheap too.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cooper01 wrote:I just found out that Loctite make a putty that you kneed then apply which dries fast. It can be drilled and painted! Looks like that is what I need! It is cheap too.
That sounds useful - please post pics of the product and results
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

bertiejaffa wrote:
Cooper01 wrote:I just found out that Loctite make a putty that you kneed then apply which dries fast. It can be drilled and painted! Looks like that is what I need! It is cheap too.
That sounds useful - please post pics of the product and results
sure.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I had a Porsche 928 door card where a lot of the mountings were broken (a common failure on the 928) l used fibreglass body repair kit to re-make the mountings, and after repairing l re-drilled the holes.

These looked similar to the ones on the Z3 part, but instead of a clip were secured by a screw through the mounting and into the door frame.

The repair was very strong, l refitted the door panel and it lasted for the rest of the time l owned the car without any of the repaired mountings failing.
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

Subscribed, I'm interested to follow this thread. :)
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

I would fix a square of metal plate ( same thickness as original) over the damaged area with Araldite or similar type of adhesive and when set hard drill a hole larger than the screw size and refit the speed nut over the metal (patch) and refit screws through the hole previously drilled. :)
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

I had been pondering how to repair the clips on the back of my door cards, the first time I tried to remove the cards a couple of the black plastic brackets were ripped away from the card and were left in the door. The back of the cards were left in a bit of a sorry state and attempts to reattach the brackets with various glues failed miserably. :(

However after reading this thread and lightning's suggestion to use a glass fibre kit I've now managed to repair the back of the cards and the brackets are now well an truly attached, never to come away again. Cheers lightning! :thumb:

I'm much wiser now and use a thin piece of metal (a paint scraper actually) to lift the clips away, rather than just pulling on the cards, this forum is a goldmine of information! :)
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

Wee set of trim removal tools are your friends

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-CARAV ... 5d42ccf8ae

I bought a set a couple of years ago and never done using them for the obvious as well as some other delicate jobs involving paint.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Sailorbaz wrote:Wee set of trim removal tools are your friends

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-CARAV ... 5d42ccf8ae

I bought a set a couple of years ago and never done using them for the obvious as well as some other delicate jobs involving paint.
Cheers Sailorbaz, duly ordered and on their way to me!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Ok guys, here is the results.

I used the Selleys Kneed It. I did not go for the other suggestions because I do not know how much accuracy is required for these parts.
I am really happy with the result. The stuff sets very quick and can be sanded easily into shape. It seems really strong too.
You will see that I did not sand it perfectly only because it doesn't really matter but if I had one of those high speed Dremmel tools it would be awesome. Can paint it as well!

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

ok, i am amazed, this forum has everything, i never expected to find a solution in that problem, i was ready to open a new thread, but last moment i decided to give it a try and do a search...

i can only find this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selleys-Knead ... 3aa5b07892
i don't know if it's the same Cooper01 used though, in what "family" of products does this belong to? i want to search in local stores for alternatives that do the same job, what should i ask for? Polymer Repair System?
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Looks like the same stuff, kneed-able putty that sets rock hard that you can file into shape. Great for those deep scratches in wood prior to painting as well :)
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i need the partnumber of number 2 in this diagram, it's missing from the list. can anybody find it?

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/Z3-Ro ... glove_box/
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

well that is odd, ive just checked every Z3 model in TIS and you're right, its not listed.

Could it be that its a USA version glovebox?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3uhyujorioac ... x.pdf?dl=0
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i called BMW it' part number 07 14 9 141 517 only available only in Germany, Greece is out of stock but they are common screws they said i can visit a tool shop and give them a sample to buy the correct screws.

Edit: They gave me a wrong number i finally found it from another diagram it's number 15: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/Z3-Ro ... ard_lower/
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Inferno wrote:ok, i am amazed, this forum has everything, i never expected to find a solution in that problem, i was ready to open a new thread, but last moment i decided to give it a try and do a search...

i can only find this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selleys-Knead ... 3aa5b07892
i don't know if it's the same Cooper01 used though, in what "family" of products does this belong to? i want to search in local stores for alternatives that do the same job, what should i ask for? Polymer Repair System?

they stock this epoxy putty in my local pound shop for a £1, i found this out after spending £6 on exactly the same stuff & quantity from b&q :roll:
Its really good stuff, i recently used it to fix a broken metal fridge handle, I also used it in the Z3 mirror shells where some plastic screw stand-offs snapped :thumb:

http://www.diy.com/departments/unibond- ... 989_BQ.prd
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

I found this one here, http://s3.praktiker.gr/myPraktiker.Imag ... 64_0_L.jpg

I think it does the same job