Fault code reader/reset tool

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
aknighto

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Fault code reader/reset tool

Post by aknighto »

Looking for a bit of advise as to what is the best (reasonably priced) fault code reader/reset tool is for a Z3 3.0. I have currently got an intermittent airbag light showing on the dash. I have read through various posts and would like to confirm with a code before starting to rip out the seats to get to the passenger occupancy sensor pad etc..... PS... Don't want to spend silly money!

Cheers in advance.
beerbelly

blank

Re: Fault code reader/reset tool

Post by beerbelly »

our airbag light used to come on every time I drove it common consensus was when I adjusted the seat for my size there was a momentary loss of power in the loom under the seat causing the light to come on .so I bought a reset tool great. then a friend said can you adjust the seat without the ignition on yes try adjusting the seat with it off then before you turn the ignition on .well I have been for a year now and its never come back on .when the ignition is off there is no power in the airbag system so it doesn't register a fault.try it
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Fault code reader/reset tool

Post by Robert T »

beerbelly certainly has a point there. If the fault is being registered due to a momentary break in the connections under the seat, then adjusting the seats with the ignition off should prevent the airbag system ever detecting such a fault. I'd never thought of that before, but it is how I would normally adjust the seat in my car if someone else has driven it, which is usually about once a year for the MOT/service!

Regarding the diagnostic kit, as you have a 3.0i, you will have the later electronics. If you have a Windows laptop, then you can buy a USB OBDII interface, an OBDII to 20-pin adapter cable and software similar to the BMTechnic one I have for about £50 (I think the last one I saw was being sold by a company calling itself BM Cables). As it is BMW-specific, it will be able to access all the modules of your car including the airbag. There are other options, but not many tools that will do everything - for example most OBDII readers will only be able to access the engine module, even with an adapter cable (the OBDII socket under the dash seems to have access to the engine module only).

Earlier cars require different options, as they have different electronics requiring a proper hardware serial interface to function.

Maybe we should start to collate a list of readers and what they can do?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc