Suspension parts-best place to buy?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

Suspension parts-best place to buy?

Post by daveofedinburgh »

Had the car up on the ramps today.

Good news is that the car is lovely underneath, clean sills, healthy exhaust and diff, no leaks anywhere.

Not so good news is that I need afew suspension parts:

-Front drivers side tie rod

-Front drivers side wishbone leg (and bushes?)

-Rear drivers side coil spring

Can anyone advise on the best place to buy these bits/ what to pay? Euro want about £170ish for the lot.

Car is a 2000 2.0 manual, by the way.
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Suspension parts-best place to buy?

Post by Brian4 »

Try GSF as well. Probably worth looking at the powerflex bushes for the front arms. Why only one front control arm (wishbone), if one is worn the other won't be far behind.

When you say tie rod do you mean the steering track rod end? if so these are known to be a pain to get apart.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Dave,

There are a few sources for parts online, you con try coopers online parts or bmminiparts.com, you will need the part numbers to get prices. Both of the online sites supply OEM parts so it may be a little more expensive than the likes of euro car parts etc.

Cheers

Brian
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Always worth cross checking cost of parts on http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/

This is another site which is another sales outlet of Europarts and are often cheaper than on the Europarts site.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

Brian4 wrote:
When you say tie rod do you mean the steering track rod end? if so these are known to be a pain to get apart.
I assume so, the chap told me 'tie rod', which I believe is the bit that has the plastic sleeve thing over it? Im certainly getting some noises from the front drivers side when turning...

Im also considering just doing both sides at the same time, as I am with the rear springs.

And while its in my as well have fluids and filters done... must... not... spend...

Just want to establish where the best value for money parts are- good help so far! :-)
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

So, does this shopping list consist of the correct parts chaps:

That's providing I only decide to do one side obviously, for the saving I reckon Ill just do both sides and bung an oil filter in there too- GSF are cheaper than Euro for me anyway... £141.48. Not bad at all.

Also: is 'RH' the drivers' side... right?

siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Always do both sides!

I Just replaced my tie rods and track rod ends last week with Lemforder parts from ECP. Lemforder is the OEM, so I have the same BMW part, just with a smaller credit card bill the BMW logo missing. Use discount code LASTCHANCE30 or LASTCHANCE25 :) also bought Lemforder rear ARB drop links and on these you can actually see where the BMW logo has been ground off! IMO it's not where you buy, but the manufacturer of the part that is critical. If OEM is Lemforder or Meyle then that part form anywhere will be the same.

The rubber boot is quite easy to get off, but be careful with the clips if you want to reuse them. BMW did not have any stock last week so I was careful and reused mine. No dramas just open them up slightly and carefully with a small screwdriver. When you get them off open up the piece where you pinch to tighten using a pair of needle nose pliers. That way they go back on easily and you can pinch tight with pincers or a clip tool.

Track rod ends were quite stubborn on mine and made a big bang when they went. My advice invest in a good ball joint cracker. The type that looks like a clamp as opposed to the tuning fork type.

The tie rods screw into the rack and on the ///M they have a lock tab. Not sure on other models. This needs to be bent out of the way to undo the tie rod. You mustn't hammer this so some really meaty grips are required. I found those really touch under axle stands. Would be much easier on a ramp with your arms straight. The ties rods are 32mm and you need a thin spanner. I bought a fan wrench from Halfrauds for this £12. Again quite tight so you get a workout and make sure to turn the steering so a little of the rack is exposed as possible. This helps prevent damage to the rack.

Last tip set, the length of the new tie rod and track rod on the bench. Measure casually and tightn the lock nut. That way your tracking should go back as it was.

Hope those helps.

Si.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue