What is this?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

What is this?

Post by grussell »

Does anyone know what this is/does?

I can't upload pictures but it is a little keyring thing that came with my z3 when I bought it and I forgot to ask the seller what it was. It has a little red LED light on it with on and off buttons and a small BMW logo below those. At the back of the device it has "license exempt". Can somebody help me out? What is it used for and what does it do?
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: What is this?

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi, is this is what you are asking about?

If it is, it's not the ejector seat arm button, nor the rocket system activator button.....but the remote control button that I have on my 1998 2.8 Roadster. Now there are others on here who tell you more about the remotes and various keys etc. I believe earlier versions had a separate key and remote, and later versions, possibly the update version (2000ish onwards) had the remote built into the key, however I do stand to be corrected. Perhaps your key has a built in remote, but I'm not sure why there would be a separate remote if it has??

If it's not...I pass :shrug
Hope this might help
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Yes it is exactly that!!!! My Z3 has only the one key and that thing. What is it used for? How is it useful? How do I use it?
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Also it is seperate from my BMW key.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My '97 2.8 had the 3 button key - no separate remote....
more pertinently, how are you locking / unlocking your car right now?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

There is something called a key you know? ;) I use it to lock and unlock my car doors
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... I'll rephrase my query... Are you using either device to lock / unlock your car remotely?.. are you always this pedantic.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Ha... The only thing I can use to lock is the key, it is central locking and when I lock/unlock the drivers side door with it it unlocks/locks the whole car, the boot, passenger side door etc.
But this device, I have been pressing on and off all the time on and nothing happens, doesn't unlock, lock etc. And I was given two of them...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Perhaps a visit to BMW would clarify it's usefulness.... Perhaps they need to be programmed to communicate with the remote control receiver which is generally housed inside the rearview mirror.
Perhaps do a qick check of fuse # 35. I believe that is the correct one for the remote central locking..... Perhaps it's as simple as replacing a fuse??? In any event, check on the fuse listing on the inside of the fuse box lid for the correct fuse if my #35 is incorrect... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Ok......all Southernboy was trying to ascertain was, if you weren't using 'the thing' (the remote control ) how were you locking the car. Ok, you are using the key which will do the business. Two things to check, firstly have you checked the battery in the remote control and secondly the remote is rather slow at activating (compared with my newer family BMW). I find if you blip it nothing happens, so a very slightly longer press on the white button ((1-2 seconds) will undo the doors, flashing lights, alarm...etc. Sames applies when pressing the red button to lock it. :wink:
Last edited by Koolflyer on Sat 19 Jul, 2014 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Or maybe as simple as a new battery for the remote?
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Thanks for the responses. Yes the remote has a battery in it as the LED light comes on when I press either of the buttons.

Southernboy, where is the fuse box?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Have you ever looked under the bonnet, and tried to name the various parts you can see?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

right back corner of the engine compartment.. It unclips by hand at the front and then hinges up at the back slightly before being able to be lifted out completely. On the underside is a schematic of the layout with the relative numbers in each bank.... Also, there is a typed list of the various items controlled by each fuse. There are also a bunch of relays in there... check if one of them is listed as being involved in the operation.
"Normal is overrated"

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

It is the alarm/central locking remote, early Zeds had an aftermarket alarm installed before being passed on to the first customer. The alarm receiver is located behind the glovebox and from time to time the alarm remotes need recoding to the alarm receiver.

BMW changed the cars electronics sometime in late 1998, along with various other system updates the alarm system was part of the cars electronic package from the factory. The separate key fobs were no longer used and a single key with lock, unlock and courtesy light buttons was introduced.

The document below shows the re-programming instructions for the early alarm systems, although the document is for a E36, the procedure for recoding the alarm fobs is the same. All we are really concerned with is steps 5 - 7 (you do not need to separate the receiver module), flick the coding switch over, press the red button on each remote to be coded (max 4 I think) and then flick the switch back to the original position.

HTH
Clivebse

M roadster S50

Post by Clivebse »

Finally a man talking sense.
Early z3 had system 3 alarms fitted at pdi if the car had not been built with alarm on the factory build spec.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I'm pretty sure that if you are locking the car with the key, you are locking the doors, but you are not arming the alarm or the immobiliser.

I reset the remote in my old Z3 and it's not very dignified :shock: .

Link to follow...

I posted on this thread ...

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ilit=alarm

Section 5 of the pdf explains how to reset the remote. It doesn't mention having to have your legs in the air :shock: (perhaps I'm not as flexible as the average BMW apprentice).

http://www.porterbility.co.uk/Files/PDF ... _Alarm.pdf
Last edited by pingu on Sat 19 Jul, 2014 18:22, edited 2 times in total.
Pingu
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I love this forum! :D

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Brilliant! Thanks for the replies.

ALSO one more question. On the centre console on either side of the handbrake there are little red plastic lights. What on Earth are these? One is like a small LED light (that lit up today) and the other is like a little thing you can pull out and I really don't know what they do. I have a 1997 Z3
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Great document Pingu, I just might need a copy of that.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

grussell wrote:Brilliant! Thanks for the replies.

ALSO one more question. On the centre console on either side of the handbrake there are little red plastic lights. What on Earth are these? One is like a small LED light (that lit up today) and the other is like a little thing you can pull out and I really don't know what they do. I have a 1997 Z3
Part of the alarm system was a button to disable the internal sensors, this button also doubled up as a tell tale light to let you know the status of the alarm. Not sure why you would have two? Any pics?
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

locking the car with the key, you are locking the doors, but you are not arming the alarm or the immobiliser
Yuh, I'm sure you are correct Pingu, with top down I lock with the key which does not activate the sonic sensors on the windscreen. Not sure about the immobiliser?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I clearly don't bang on about this often enough, so here we go again... :lol:

The immobiliser is part of the car and NOT part of the alarm system on ALL Z3's. It is independent of the alarm system and arms itself automatically when you remove the key from the ignition (after a short delay). It is disarmed by reading a cyclic code from a chip in the key using an inductive loop in the ignition barrel ONLY. It does not need any power other than from the car's own battery, so it will work regardless of the state of the battery in the key (on the early type with the separate fob, any battery is for the light in the key - on the later type with the buttons on the key, the battery is only for the remote control). With the later alarm, the immobiliser can also disarm the alarm - so even if the remote battery goes flat you can silence the alarm and still drive the car - the earlier type has a little round key that can be used to turn a key switch on the siren.

AFAIK on all the standard alarm systems fitted to Z3's, the alarm can only be armed with the remote control. Locking with the key alone does NOT set the alarm (the immobiliser will still arm itself automatically - see above). Other than flat batteries and blown fuses, it is reasonably common for the remotes to lose sync with the alarm system - sometimes repeated pressing of the button brings them back into sync, but fairly often the car has to be re-taught the remote control. This is a bit of a PITA process, on the early system you need to remove the glovebox to get at the alarm module (see other posts above for links). We have also seen duff receiver units and a few other problems that render the alarm inoperable.

I think we have sorted you out with the alarm LED, which also doubles as a button on the early alarm, but I'm not sure about the thing you pull out - unless you mean the cigar lighter socket blanking plug on a car that has been specified with the non-smoker package? A picture is worth a thousand words - for more info on posting images see the sticky at the top of every forum or click here.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc