Lost power - High revs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Lost power - High revs

Post by LookinFoolish »

Hi all,

I was driving my Z yesterday when I got a sudden loss of power. My Z slowed right down and despite me flooring the accelerator, my revs went up to 6,000 RPM but my car was barely moving. I managed to find a safe-ish place to park up and called the RAC. I turned the car off, then started it up 10 mins later and I could drive off home - so I cancelled my RAC callout. The car felt like it was still lacking power though. Anyone have an idea what this might be? I've not yet tried it today, but this has really worried me because I use the car as my daily commute to work.
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Lost power - High revs

Post by lightning »

If the revs "went up to 6,000 and the car was hardly moving" (l assume in gear with the clutch engaged) then your clutch must be slipping.

If this happened then the clutch would overheat, and you'd not get any drive. After it cooled down it would work again up to a point, although you'll need a new clutch.
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Exactly the same happened to me on the motorway, car would rev but no power and wouldn't go more than 40mph. My problem was that I had a k&n Apollo induction kit fitted. I floored the car and instantly lost power after 90mph. I limped home, lifted the bonnet to find that the ribbed aluminium air supply pipe had sucked itself in narrowing the opening. I removed the pipe and air filter and problem was instantly solved
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - it does sound like severe clutch slip, which is more likely than a gearbox problem.

Sounds as if Sirius's K&N filter was obstructing the airflow, and producing a vacuum in the aluminium pipe - so much for the claim of the K&N producing an increased flow of air!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

The theory about the clutch would make sense. Thanks guys. How much can I expect that to set me back?
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l