Rear Window Replacement?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Rear Window Replacement?

Post by kkkrisss »

It seems I need a replacement window...

I have checked some of the old threads but decided to get a more recent opinion,

Where is the best place to buy a rear window replacement?

different opinions about this guy - http://www.cabrio-heckscheibe.de/

Has anyone purchased from him recently?

OEM seems quite expensive but if there is no alternative I will have to purchase an original one...
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Rear Window Replacement?

Post by lordhelpus »

Yeah got mine from him... It went in fine not as good as OEM but it's not OEM money?............oh,, and congratulations on winning the world cup.
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I fitted one of these earlier this year (took about 45 minutes). Thinner material than the original, but no need to get out when hood is half way down to make sure fold is straight and living in Spain the hood is up and down virtually every time I use the car and all is still fine. For 72 quid it's a bargain and if I only got 2 years out of it I would be happy (though I suspect it will last longer than that!).
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

Rafolian wrote:I fitted one of these earlier this year (took about 45 minutes). Thinner material than the original, but no need to get out when hood is half way down to make sure fold is straight and living in Spain the hood is up and down virtually every time I use the car and all is still fine. For 72 quid it's a bargain and if I only got 2 years out of it I would be happy (though I suspect it will last longer than that!).
is this incorrect folding happening only with original windows? I always thought it comes down to correct fitment of the window?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I get the impression that the "sewn in" variety are the windows that give a problem when folding down. Perhaps this has something to do with the greater or lesser flexibility at the circumference with or without a zipper. Also, I would imagine a thicker window plastic will be less likely to bend as required. :?: :?:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

I had a new non OEM rear screen fitted late last autumn. The only annoyance I have found is that every time I lower the top I have to stop half way (as Rafolian stated) and make sure the screen is folding in the horizontal so it lays correctly. Failure to check this will result in a partly vertical fold and so creasing and wrecking the plastic. I queried this with my upholster chap who said given time the plastic will memorize which way to fold, however 7 months later and some pretty warm weather I'm still needing to help it. The reason for this is apparently the new screens come together in a tube rolled up vertically (perhaps to save space?), which is the opposite to what is required, at least on a Z3! :? Something to bear in mind when you fit a new screen yourself.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
frog farmer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by frog farmer »

It may be worth checking if you have replacement windows on your insurance policy, a friend of mine over here had one replaced in his hood free of charge by the BMW main agent !
GizmoZed

Z4 sDrive20i

Post by GizmoZed »

kkkrisss wrote:It seems I need a replacement window...

I have checked some of the old threads but decided to get a more recent opinion,

Where is the best place to buy a rear window replacement?

different opinions about this guy - http://www.cabrio-heckscheibe.de/

Has anyone purchased from him recently?

OEM seems quite expensive but if there is no alternative I will have to purchase an original one...

Hi Kris,

Got one from this company earlier this year. Supplied with zipper and is easy to install if you have a someone outside the car supporting the screen while you zip it in place. Good quality and looks great.

Dave
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

thanks everybody for the feedback.