Fitting the CDV back in?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Fitting the CDV back in?

Post by lightning »

So after reading loads of "remove the CDV for a better gear change" advice, l removed it from my Z3 3.0.

And yes, when shifting quickly at high RPM the clutch no longer slipped for a second. But it was almost impossible to get smooth changes from first to second, under "normal" driving. And to a lesser extent second to third. There was always a lurch as the clutch took up the drive.

So l refitted the CDV, and now it's smooth once again. I just have to remember to take a second during high speed gear changes, to let the clutch engage.

I also imagine that having the CDV is kinder to the transmission, in particular the differential mountings.
Most of the time these parts are fitted for a reason, and try as l might l could not get smooth (as in jerk free) gear changes from first to second without it. Sometimes l managed it, but other times it showed me up.
Last edited by lightning on Fri 01 Aug, 2014 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Fitting the CDV back in!

Post by Gazza »

lightning wrote: try as l might l could not get smooth (as in jerk free) gear changes from first to second without it. Sometimes l managed it, but other times it showed me up.

I had my CDV removed years ago, it may take you a while to get used to it, your quote above suggests as much ;)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Yes l am not sure whether to leave it in or out at the moment.

I can fit/remove it in twenty minutes. The longest part of the job is getting the ramps and extensions out of the shed and getting the car on them.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Well, how do you imagine peole in pre-CDV cars manage to change gear? It's just a matter of getting used to your car's characteristics.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I know, but l tried and tried. It should not be that hard. Yesterday l drove a 110,000 mile Transit, a Defender, a 2012 VW Polo, a Transit Connect, and a Suzuki SX4.

I had no problems in any of these vehicles. I think maybe the clutch is defective in my Z3, as in not progressive enough. Because l just cannot get it right.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

If you can get a Defender to go into 1st whilst moving at >10mph, you should be able to manage without a CDV.

Have you tried rev-matching? You don't have to get it spot-on (unless your clutch has completely failed).

[edited as "stop-on" makes no sense :) ]
Last edited by pingu on Wed 30 Jul, 2014 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

There is o reason why you should have a jerky clutch action, so it is a matter of looking for the cause.

Apart from the clutch itself, the rubber driveshaft coupling may be worth looking at.
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

And what transmission fluid have you got n there? Still got that diff treacle in the 'box? :D
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I did not change the gearbox oil again yet.
The actual gear selection is perfect. It is just matching the RPM when changing from first to second gear.
With the CDV refitted it is much easier. I will have another go at it when l get the chance.

Where is the rubber driveshaft coupling, at the inner or outer end of the drive shaft. Can l check that myself? I take it there are two.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

By 'driveshaft' I was referring to what is often called a 'propeller shaft' - a curious name for something which does not drive a propeller!

Look at the back of the gearbox, and you will see it - although it should be OK, look for signs of splitting.
HBmw3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HBmw3 »

Wondering, did anybody try this?:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

If so, what are the experiences?
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

I think on most Zs you can just remove the CDV and atach the pipe direct, if it even has one, many don't.
HBmw3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by HBmw3 »

If I am correct only 2.2 en 3.0 have one.
I know you can remove it. But I am curious if anyone has tried the adjusted replacement from Zeckhausen.
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

I am not sure what they offer though?

If you can just bypass the cdv on Z's why do you need it?

Also, it is really simple to remove your current one, pop the grommet out yourself and put it back in again.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

On my 2002 3.0 the CDV can be removed and the pipes joined up, so you don't need any parts.

The actual valve on my car is just a brass fitting with a small hole in the middle, to restrict fluid flow. I guess you could drill it out yourself, but why bother putting it back in if you don't want it?
Just join up the two pipes, it takes about five minutes.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtop ... 7&t=107462
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

I think that site makes more sense if your car is still in warranty, it keeps it looking stock, but when out of warranty just bypass the CDV completely.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Fitting the CDV back in?

Post by lightning »

Well.....

I took out the CDV again, and have been practising smoother gear changes. I think l am getting the hang of it! The engine is a big lump so needs the revs balancing on gear changing. Plus when you back off the gas the revs drop quickly, unlike some new cars, so it takes time to get used to.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Fitting the CDV back in?

Post by Rafolian »

Propeller shaft, not really that curious a name for something that is used to "propel" the vehicle forwards or backwards.