Dodgy door lock / hello

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Dodgy door lock / hello

Post by charliebigpotato83 »

Hi everybody,

Newish Z3 owner here - picked myself up a belter of a 2000 (W reg facelift) 1.8 in Topaz Blue with 92k on the clock, full leather, M Sport bits, and the all important air con. He's always been garaged and is in amazing condition for a 14 year old car, with only the usual stone chips to speak of.

There's one irritating problem, however - the passenger door won't lock or unlock with the remote. Once in a blue moon it will work, but only on a really hot day when the car has been in the sun it seems. If I push the knob down then it activates the central locking on the whole car still, so I checked the wiring loom in the boot but everything is fine (just some cracked sheaths but no broken wires). Before I buy a new actuator, I just wanted to know if there's anything else it could be? Does the fact that pushing the knob on the door activates the central locking mean it can't be the actuator?

Cheers!
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Dodgy door lock / hello

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Thar she blows!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi and welcome. I have exactly the same problem. It works occasionally but more often than not it won't lock on the remote. I've never let it bother me to be fair. When I lock it i always visually check and if it's not locked I just walk round and lock it with the key. Enjoy and forum. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Hi Davejue1,

That's exactly what I've been doing for 4 months, but as it's my daily it's time time to get it sorted really. I can't put up with the other half complaining about it any more ('stupid blo##dy door!' 'Why did you buy this thing?' 'Can't we get something with 5 doors?!') so it's gotta be done! :lol: I always like to have a go at things myself before I pay through my nose for someone else to do it. :rtm:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Dodgy central locking is usually one of two things - the wiring or the solenoid. If you can hear the solenoid trying to operate, then the wiring is fine, and you either need some lubrication or a new solenoid (both involved taking the door card off). If it makes no sound, then it is more likely to be wiring (though not necessarily) - you've checked the boot lid wiring loom, which is the usual point of failure, but the wiring does also pass from the car to the door and that bit gets flexed like the boot loom, so it is worth checking that bit for damage as well.

Cheers R.

PS I've already added you to the diagnostics list. :)
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

It's quite hard to get access whether you remove the door card or not. But if you give a very generous douse of silicone spray and or WD40 -it should release for an extended period (12 months). Obviously if it's just a stuck solenoid.
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Thanks for the welcome, guys. There's absolutely no sound from the passenger door when I try to lock or unlock the door with the remote - dead as a dodo. Same if I use the lock on the driver's door.

I'm not sure how I can get access to check the wiring to the passenger door as it seems to have a plastic cover on it that is bolted to the body work :? Even if I undo it, there's no way I can get it off the wires.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

If it's intermittent - I doubt it's an electrical problem.
robdalej

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by robdalej »

i have something he same on my door locks, can only get mine to lock by using the boot lock or passenger side to activate the central locking, if I try and use the key in the drivers side the lock just spins around, would like to know what is causing this
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Ok, halfway through taking the door panel off as we speak! These panel clips are a B#TCH, I'm scared I'm scared!
pgunter66

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pgunter66 »

Hello,

You can get a set of plastic lifters designed for trim clips etc. just put 'plastic trim removal tool' into eBay. You can get a full set for a fiver. Works a treat. Good luck and post what you find.
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Ok, I was just being a bit a wuss :) A flat head screwdriver did the job beautifully and the panel came off without anything breaking. I was shocked to find a tweeter in there - to be honest I can't tell they're there when I'm playing music so I wonder if they're even working?!

Anyway, it started getting too dark to start pulling mechanisms out and my torx screwdrivers aren't big enough so that'll be a job for tomorrow. As it stands, everything inside the door looks like it just left the factory so I'll pull out the actuator tomorrow and give it a spray. If that fails, time for a new one!
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Our passenger door started to play up in the same intermittent way. I took the actuator out and absolutely flooded it with a spray contact cleaner (and I mean flooded it- the cleaner was running out of everywhere). I let it dry and put it back and it has been as good as gold ever since. It might have been muck in it or the contacts may have been dirty but for about £5 a can it was a cheap way to start before thinking about buying a new actuator.
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

That's good to know. Would WD40 do the same job or is that a no-no? I'm used to working on a MK1 Golf where things are much more... er... basic!
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

I've tried WD40 on stuff with electrical contacts before and didn't find it as good as contact cleaner. WD40 does remove water but doesn't seem to clean the contacts as well. It wouldn't do any harm but might not be as long lasting if it is dirty contacts rather than general muck making things stick. If you already have the WD40, it might be worth a try flushing out with that and seeing if it makes a difference, if it does, a clean up with contact cleaner as a follow up would be a good bet. Doing it this way wouldn't cost anything until you have made sure it isn't a duff unit.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Were you into the golf scene Charlie? I had golfs for years. MK1 and MK2 GTI's. Loved them, I owned a MK2 oak green campaign for years, wish I still had it now. :(

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

I had a similar problem some time ago. Removing the actuator from the door is a time consuming job but it could be that spraying the actuator with silicone spray may solve the problem and you can do this with just the door card removed if you are cunning. I actually removed the actuator and sprayed it with silicone, worked it back and forth and it has worked perfectly for years. Worth a try and if it doesn't work at least you have the door card off and can continue to remove the actuator. Good luck.....
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

I used to have a MK1 Gti Cabrio All White, Dave. Had wanted one since I was a kid and bought one as a toy - amazing car, 20 years old and everything worked perfectly, even the OBC and they never work! I spent weeks replacing the hood myself and swore I'd never let it go... but then I decided to have a career change and we had to part. I've since seen him on Autotrader all chavved up :(

Ok, as for the Z3, the door is now fully disassembled and the locking mechanism is out. Taking it apart was fairly easy, but getting it back together again is looking like a bit of a b#tch! I've spent a whole £4 on contact cleaner from Halfrauds and fully flushed out the actuator. It's currently in the window drying off - I'm tempted to dig out the hairdryer I've not used since I went bald because I'm getting impatient to test it!!
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

GAH! It didn't work :bawl:

Now I'm really struggling to get the window guide back in place :head: Is there a nack to it? HELP!
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Ok, DONE IT! For anyone who tries this, lubricate the end of the window guide really well and make sure the locking mechanism is connected to the outer door handle but unscrewed, so you can drop it a couple of cm. Job done. Just gotta wait for the new (second hand) actuator to arrive now. Ball-ache.